Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 31, '09, 12:00 pm
Banned

Religion: catechized ROMAN Catholic
Default Is this "Unmentionable" the reason most people don't make it to Heaven?

since many commit the sin of .. shall we say.. Self gratification or impure acts w/ self.. the M word...

i am wondeirng if this explains why so few make it to Heaven since the saints say that sexual sins get people into Hell more often than any other...
Old Oct 31, '09, 1:52 pm
Banned

Religion: former Catholic
Default Re: Is this "Unmentionable" the reason most people don't make it to Heaven?

Why the obsession with this topic? It's harmless; for some of us who are unattractive to the opposite sex, it's the only way we'll ever experience a little of the joy which God gives to married people. Let it go. There are lots of things we do which actually hurt other people. Those are the real offenses against God that we should be worried about.
Old Oct 31, '09, 2:03 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is this "Unmentionable" the reason most people don't make it to Heaven?

Firstly - God gave us both the gift of our sexuality and the groundrules as to how and when that gift is to be used. And those are clear - within marriage, between marital partners, only.

Offending HIM in any way whatsoever, which is what one does when one abuses one's gift of sexuality, is never harmless! Otherwise you could apply the same rule to, say, breaking the commandment by missing Mass on Sundays, or any other sin that one ignorantly deems to be 'harmless'.

Not to mention the harms it DOES do - a lot of people go into marriage with totally unreal expectations of marital sex that ruin it for them, thanks to years of 'harmless' self-gratification. Ever wonder why the sudden breakdown of the institution of marriage to the point where more marriages fail than not - and why it's coincided very neatly with the sexualisation of our culture, including very importantly the idea that self-gratification is either harmless or healthy?

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Oct 31, '09, 2:07 pm
Banned

And where in the Bible are those ground rules stated?
Old Oct 31, '09, 2:15 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedDC View Post
As a Catholic you should know that we are not a 'scripture only' (sola scriptura) faith. Christ gave the Apostles (and through them their successors, the Pope and Bishops) the power to bind and loose. That power applies to all issues of faith and morals, including the morality of our different sexual behaviours. It's called Magisterium, or teaching authority.

More than that, He told them (and through them their successors) 'Whoever hears you hears Me, whoever rejects you rejects Me' (Luke 10:16). So the Church, in its teaching capacity, speaks with His own voice. That's the whole point of the Holy Spirit's guidance. It's also the point of His promise that the gates of hell shall not prevail against the Church (that is, that it will always remain in possession of the truth, since if it began to teach error the gates of Hell certainly WOULD prevail!)

Old Oct 31, '09, 2:21 pm
Banned

And that's the reason I'll probably be leaving the Church. I've lived too long, seen too much, to trust any man as an intermediary between me and God.

I sincerely wish that I could have the kind of faith in the Church that you and others display. It would make life a lot easier. But I simply can't.
Old Nov 1, '09, 12:12 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
And that's the reason I'll probably be leaving the Church. I've lived too long, seen too much, to trust any man as an intermediary between me and God.

I sincerely wish that I could have the kind of faith in the Church that you and others display. It would make life a lot easier. But I simply can't.
Christ Jesus (a man) is an intermediary between you and God - 'no one knows the Father except the Son, and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him'.

Moses and all the prophets were intermediaries between God and the people of Israel. So you do already believe in men who have been intermediaries between you (or other people) and God.

Old Nov 2, '09, 3:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Why the obsession with this topic? It's harmless; for some of us who are unattractive to the opposite sex, it's the only way we'll ever experience a little of the joy which God gives to married people. Let it go. There are lots of things we do which actually hurt other people. Those are the real offenses against God that we should be worried about.
the RCC teaches this is mortal sin except in some circumstancs.. Accepting that it is pleasurable and that you can't get someone of the opposite sex, i hate to infomr you, is not one of those exceptions..

and it still causes terrible effects to your soul even if you have one ofthose "exceptions"...

one time i was in the Real Presence and i got this very storng feeling that Gd was tryin to tell me that people who commit this sin enough times lose their souls... Cant' prove it was God, can't prove it wasn't either... but i was in HIs Presnece...

i know one thing, that old saying Better safe than sorry

is a very good one...
Old Nov 2, '09, 3:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
they are stated quite clearly by the CHURCH Christ established... which you claim to belong to.

the Church can be trusted or it cannot fuly be trusted. which one is it???
Old Nov 2, '09, 3:18 pm
Banned

Quote:

spend some time in the Real Presence and you will. i guarantee it... you will (if you are antyhing like me and we humans are more alike than differnet)... see things entirley differently than you do now ... things are way different in the Real Presence than anywhere else..

frequetn Mass attendance helps also... confession...

Men did not make these rules .. .they are from Christ... who promised He would never leave us..
Old Nov 2, '09, 4:21 pm

Religion: Lasped Catholic

I agree that masturbation is not right, but I also don't believe that God is going to just toss all the masturbators in Hell. It's just not that simple. You are more than just your sexual sins and He will see everything.

This question strikes me as arrogant. You really don't need to concern yourself with how many people will make it to Heaven.
Old Nov 2, '09, 4:31 pm

God invented libido. Ask Him for help.
Old Nov 2, '09, 4:49 pm

Religion: Somewhere between a revert and a cradle Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted View Post

since many commit the sin of .. shall we say.. Self gratification or impure acts w/ self.. the M word...

i am wondeirng if this explains why so few make it to Heaven since the saints say that sexual sins get people into Hell more often than any other...
Well actually we don't know if "few" people make it into heaven. The Church never proclaims people not to be in heaven, it can only proclaim the ones it knows FOR SURE to be in Heaven (aka the Saints). But for all we know, everyone gets to heaven eventually (I am stating this as a POSSIBILITY please do not derail the thread and turn it into a salvation debate). The only person who knows for sure is God.

Pride is the devil's sin. That's the big killer, I would argue. Not to say that masturbation isnt a big deal, mind you.

The best any of us can do is to pray for God's help, strength and for a pure heart. Avoid temptation, but I would say that, more important than never succumbing to temptation, is getting back on the horse with the resolve to try your best again.
Old Nov 2, '09, 5:11 pm

Religion: catholic

To Ted DC ......I would have to say to you "Leave the Church"????? Why, because of your inability to confess this selfishness to God through a priest....I think you are not being very honest here my friend....in fact what you have written is a confession of ignorance of what God and forgiveness is all about. The last thing you need is to leave this Church...in fact you desperately need to cling to this Church!....there's nowhere for you to go to if you are too old....forgot to mention that I too am old and us "oldies" need to look after each other's souls. Don't give up my friend as that final door looms ever closer.May God release your tongue and Our Lady purify you and I'll pray for you too as back-up....ole timer!
Old Nov 3, '09, 2:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted View Post

I am wondering if this explains why so few make it to Heaven since the saints say that sexual sins get people into Hell more often than any other...
We know that masturbation (really, saying the word isn't a big deal- no need to be bashful about it) is grave matter, and if done with full knowledge and consent of the will, it is a mortal sin. We don't know how often it is done with full knowledge and consent of the will though. I think more people will make it than we realize- God is just, and does not punish for unintentional ignorance.

We are so uptight about sexual sins in this country it's crazy. Yes, they are mortal sins, we shouldn't do them, and we should go to confession before receiving communion if we do- but sexual sins aren't as big as some of the others- they just happen to make people in this country blush more than some of the others.

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics