Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 3, '09, 11:26 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Name for your Guardian Angel

My guardian angel is my unsung hero. He helps me every day, leading me on my life's journey. He's there all the time, faithfully watching over me, whether I remember to acknowledge him or not. I've asked his help specifically to find some lost item or to assist me in driving safely or even to help me in some awkward social situation. He's helped me countless times and I don't thank him enough and many times don't even think about him. Every now and then I'll say "I love you, thank you for always being there for me". I've talked with other people who gave a name to their GAs. I've heard Leo, Lily, Fidelis,etc. I've decided to call my angel Lumina which means light in Latin. I realize he probably already has a name, but since I don't know what that is, I've come up with one that I can call him. I know that angels aren't technically "hims" or "hers" but for some reason I've always thought of mine as a him.
Anybody have input on this? What's your angel's name?
Old Nov 3, '09, 12:31 pm

Default Re: Name for your Guardian Angel

I never even thought of doing that, to be honest. Here's something from Michelle Arnold about it. See what you think:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=255637

By the way, I'm not saying this is right or this is wrong, just pointing out that there was a question on Ask an Apologist and I remembered seeing it. Last time I did this someone pointedly told me that the apoligists could be wrong. I think it had something to do with gum or mints and Communion fast, but I'm not sure anymore. In any case, I'm just offering a little information on the subject.
Old Nov 3, '09, 12:40 pm

Religion: Marian CATHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlern View Post
My guardian angel is my unsung hero. He helps me every day, leading me on my life's journey. He's there all the time, faithfully watching over me, whether I remember to acknowledge him or not. I've asked his help specifically to find some lost item or to assist me in driving safely or even to help me in some awkward social situation. He's helped me countless times and I don't thank him enough and many times don't even think about him. Every now and then I'll say "I love you, thank you for always being there for me". I've talked with other people who gave a name to their GAs. I've heard Leo, Lily, Fidelis,etc. I've decided to call my angel Lumina which means light in Latin. I realize he probably already has a name, but since I don't know what that is, I've come up with one that I can call him. I know that angels aren't technically "hims" or "hers" but for some reason I've always thought of mine as a him.
And who told you to "talk" to your guardian angel, who told you to name him/her? This sounds very suspicious.
Old Nov 3, '09, 12:43 pm

I was in a deep meditation a couple years ago and saw an absolutely, beyond words beautiful ...what I would say is an angel. She had long flowing beautiful red hair.
Beyond the beauty of anything in this world.

I always hoped that was my guardian angel. I never gave her a name, however.
(April 8, 1977), paraphrasing St. Alphonsus Liguori
Old Nov 3, '09, 1:26 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Daeve is correct. Our guardian angels do have names but the church does indeed discourage people from naming them themselves. We can pray for our guardian angels name to be revealed however, and sometimes it is! I know several people who know the name of their guardian angels but I also know many who do not yet know the name.
Old Nov 3, '09, 1:26 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalson12 View Post
And who told you to "talk" to your guardian angel, who told you to name him/her? This sounds very suspicious.
What problem is there with talking to your guardian angel?

I understand that the Church discourages us from giving names to our guardian angels, but I also remember a wonderful book I read some years back called, "My Guardian Angel's Name is Fred". The title comes from when a little Italian-American boy learned about Guardian angels in School.

Honestly - I just don't see what the fuss is about.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Nov 3, '09, 1:32 pm

Religion: Marian CATHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
What problem is there with talking to your guardian angel?

I understand that the Church discourages us from giving names to our guardian angels, but I also remember a wonderful book I read some years back called, "My Guardian Angel's Name is Fred". The title comes from when a little Italian-American boy learned about Guardian angels in School.

Honestly - I just don't see what the fuss is about.

Peace
James
Because the is occult practices that will mask what they are doing by calling demons angels, spirit guides/guardian angels, and this is where you must tread lightly upon. This is an area with no biblical support, nowhere in it does it state we are to address our guardian angels, and what you may be letting in can be all together much more sinister then you think.
Old Nov 3, '09, 1:48 pm

they don't need us to name them. i'm also sure they know if we are talking to them. i'll call mine -- dear guarding angel for now.
Old Nov 3, '09, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalson12 View Post
I have to say that I'm really shocked by the reaction to this! I just finished reading a book about Padre Pio and he talked to his angel all the time. Mother Angelica on EWTN named her angel Fidelis. Neither of these people would do anything that was against the Church. I'm not saying that we can ask our angels to do anything bad for us, but I know that they're there to help us. Haven't you ever heard of the Guardian Angel prayer? It's been around forever. In the prayer you're asking your angel to guide and protect you. What could be wrong with that?
Old Nov 3, '09, 3:22 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

I don't feel like I've named my guardian angel, I feel more like I've been told the angel's name. I now call him (I know angels aren't nessesarily a him or a her because we say so) Elliot.
Old Nov 3, '09, 3:23 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlern View Post

Dominic

Andrew

Cain

.....ring any bells?

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Nov 3, '09, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silyosha View Post
I don't feel like I've named my guardian angel, I feel more like I've been told the angel's name. I now call him (I know angels aren't nessesarily a him or a her because we say so) Elliot.
What a posh name!

Old Nov 3, '09, 3:30 pm

I broke my ankle a couple of years back and spent a lot of time on the couch. While watching EWTN I saw an interview with a Bishop from Peru who was talking about naming your Angel he highly reccommended it. Mines named Stu.
Old Nov 3, '09, 3:36 pm
Prayer Warrior

My birthday is October 2, the feast of the Guardian Angels, and I thought it would be cool to name my angel. However, similar to what others have said here, my priest told me that I should not be giving my guardian angel a name. Its perfectly okay to pray to my angel though, I was told.

I'm not sure about Mother Angelica giving her angel a name, that's a bit confusing, and I may ask my pastor about that!

O salutaris Hostia, Quae caeli pandis ostium:
Bella premunt hostilia, Da robur, fer auxilium.
Uni trinoque Domino, Sit sempiterna gloria,
Qui vitam sine termino Nobis donet in patria.
Amen.
Old Nov 3, '09, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post

Dominic

Andrew

Cain

.....ring any bells?
I didn't give them those names, those are their names.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality