Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 15, '09, 12:19 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Age of consent in vatican state

Hi,
I've got a problem: The age of consent in Vatican state is 12. This is a result of a historical developement (Vatican took Italian criminal code). But some homosexual activists use this fact to 'prove" that all priests are pedophile/pederast. Waht would be an appropriate answer?
Greetings
Ulrich

PS: Please excuse my orthographical and grammatical errrors, English isn't my mother-tongue, normally I speak German.
Old Nov 15, '09, 1:12 pm

Default Re: Age of consent in vatican state

The appropriate answer is to ignore them. They are people that hate the church and believe all priests are pedophiles. If that's truly what they believe then they aren't worth our time. They act like the Vatican is full of 11 year old boys waiting until their 12th birthday so they can rush the doors and fullfill the dreams of the priests. Losers.
Old Nov 15, '09, 1:19 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Anyone who uses that as a way to undermine the vatican would only find something else had the age of consent been 50. So, like the other poster said, ignore them and realize that the age of consent varies in many parts of the world and even in the United States where I live it varies from state to state. And remember that the recent scandal broke out on the United States where the age of consent is higher than 12. So that logic is bunk.................teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Nov 15, '09, 4:09 pm

Religion: catholic

The American Model Penal Code also says that statutory rape (the age of consent) is for people under the age of 12. The American Model Penal Code states that ignorance of one's age can apply as a defense for statutory rape for all individuals over the age of 10.

If one were to compare the American Model Penal Code to the Criminal Code in Canon law, they are very similar in many regards. This is especially true for what is required for intent and the appropriate defenses for crimes.

For those who might not know, The American Model Penal Code is simply a guide of recommendations which each individual jurisdiction can adopt. Due to the circumstances of this country, the youngest age for consent in this country is 14, (it might have been raised to 16) with most of the states using an age of either 16 or 18.

However, If one thinks about it, 12, is the minimum standard that a country in the world will use for their age of consent. Maturity, at least in a reproductive sense, commonly occurrs at this age. If the circumstances were proper for one jurisdiction to use an age of consent of 12, why should the Vatican make a per se rule against it? Our own American Penal Code doesn't even recommend against it even though no jurisidiction has adopted an age so low.

The point is 12 seems the most appropriate age because it is the minimum standard that would be reasonable under any circumstance.
Old Nov 15, '09, 4:13 pm
Forum Elder

(a) The code of canon law governs marriage, not Italian law.
The Code of Canon Law is incorporated into the legal system of the VCS by the 1929 Law of the Sources of the Law, one of the six constitutional laws of 1929. Article 11 of the Second Law specifically outlines areas that are regulated solely by canon law. These include marriage, prescription of ecclesiastical property, and gifts and legacies upon death.
(b) The age of consent refers to marriage, not illicit sexual intercourse (seeing as how that is a mortal sin)

(c) The age of consent for marriage in the Code of Canon Law is 16 for boys and 14 for girls, and can be set to a higher age by the conference of Bishops. The Code of Canon Law acknowledges that in some cultures girls do marry at this age-- many in Africa, Asia, Middle East, etc. But, the Bishops Conference can set a higher age.
Can. 1083 1. A man before he has completed his sixteenth year of age and a woman before she has completed her fourteenth year of age cannot enter into a valid marriage.

2. The conference of bishops is free to establish a higher age for the licit celebration of marriage.
(d) The age of consent does not apply to priests because priests are celibate

(e) If the age of consent as it pertains to illicit sex between persons is governed by the criminal code of Italy, then the Italian government is to be properly accused of being pedophiles, not the VCS.

(f) Saying that all priests are pedophiles because the Italian criminal code specifies an age of consent of 12 (if this is even true since I could not find any documents in English which confirm this accusation) then they lack the ability to use basic logic. They aren't even very good atheists. Atheists usually pride themselves on using logic and reason. These particular atheists would get the stuffing knocked out of them at a freshman debate meet.

Which leads me to believe you will get nowhere with these particular atheists since they are using such an absurd and weak argument. They are not going to listen to anything you have to say.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 16, '09, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
(a) The code of canon law governs marriage, not Italian law.
The Code of Canon Law is incorporated into the legal system of the VCS by the 1929 Law of the Sources of the Law, one of the six constitutional laws of 1929. Article 11 of the Second Law specifically outlines areas that are regulated solely by canon law. These include marriage, prescription of ecclesiastical property, and gifts and legacies upon death.
(b) The age of consent refers to marriage, not illicit sexual intercourse (seeing as how that is a mortal sin)

(c) The age of consent for marriage in the Code of Canon Law is 16 for boys and 14 for girls, and can be set to a higher age by the conference of Bishops. The Code of Canon Law acknowledges that in some cultures girls do marry at this age-- many in Africa, Asia, Middle East, etc. But, the Bishops Conference can set a higher age.
Can. 1083 1. A man before he has completed his sixteenth year of age and a woman before she has completed her fourteenth year of age cannot enter into a valid marriage.

2. The conference of bishops is free to establish a higher age for the licit celebration of marriage.
(d) The age of consent does not apply to priests because priests are celibate
Very interesting! Thanks!
Quote:
(e) If the age of consent as it pertains to illicit sex between persons is governed by the criminal code of Italy, then the Italian government is to be properly accused of being pedophiles, not the VCS.

(f) Saying that all priests are pedophiles because the Italian criminal code specifies an age of consent of 12 (if this is even true since I could not find any documents in English which confirm this accusation) then they lack the ability to use basic logic. They aren't even very good atheists. Atheists usually pride themselves on using logic and reason. These particular atheists would get the stuffing knocked out of them at a freshman debate meet.

Which leads me to believe you will get nowhere with these particular atheists since they are using such an absurd and weak argument. They are not going to listen to anything you have to say.
Sorry, obviously my explanation wasn't correct. The catican copied the Italian criminal code after the Lateran treaties.

But thank you very much for your replies. catholic.com is a very helpful website!
Old Oct 29, '11, 3:09 am
Trial Membership

Default Re: Age of consent in Vatican state

I believe the age of consent is higher than that stated in the Wiki, and other sources simply have repeated the error.

This is because the laws of the Vatican and Italy were kept in sync over time, until just a few years ago, when the Vatican changed the law to not automatically keep in sync with Italy's penal code.

More of an explanation here: Vatican City and Age of Consent
Old Oct 29, '11, 12:51 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Latin Catholic

Other lands are not far off that age anyway. Here in Spain, I believe that it is 13.
Old Oct 30, '11, 11:50 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Though, I don't believe the age of consent is important in the Vatican Cirty State, since 98.9999% of her citizens (exclusing the lay citizens)are celibate, chaste, Priests, nuns, monks, brothers, etc....Cardinals and the Pope too, of course!

Old Oct 30, '11, 12:41 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic leaning East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me123 View Post
Hi,
I've got a problem: The age of consent in Vatican state is 12. This is a result of a historical developement (Vatican took Italian criminal code). But some homosexual activists use this fact to 'prove" that all priests are pedophile/pederast. Waht would be an appropriate answer?
Greetings
Ulrich

PS: Please excuse my orthographical and grammatical errrors, English isn't my mother-tongue, normally I speak German.
It's bare anti-Catholic polemic, and you should be as blunt in pointing it out.

It doesn't even make much sense. Vatican State is a political entity. Any law there doesn't necessarily apply to the Catholic Church outside of Vatican State.
Old Oct 30, '11, 2:13 pm
Forum Elder

please note this is a 2 year old thread.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Oct 30, '11, 4:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
please note this is a 2 year old thread.
My eyes have deceived me and I thought it said Novermber 2011.

What's wrong with me

It's not even November

Old Oct 31, '11, 4:55 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic leaning East

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalViews View Post
My eyes have deceived me and I thought it said Novermber 2011.

What's wrong with me

It's not even November
X)

So have mine. Thanks 1ke.
Old Nov 17, '11, 10:00 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezant View Post
It's bare anti-Catholic polemic, and you should be as blunt in pointing it out.

It doesn't even make much sense. Vatican State is a political entity. Any law there doesn't necessarily apply to the Catholic Church outside of Vatican State.
I beg to differ.

How old was Mary when God decided she accepted her role to bear his son in her Womb?

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Nov 18, '11, 12:47 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryJam View Post
I beg to differ.

How old was Mary when God decided she accepted her role to bear his son in her Womb?
I believe tradition says 14 or 15.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology