Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 16, '09, 9:38 am

Default Big News: Church of England shuts door in Anglo-catholics' faces.

A few days after the publication of Anglicanorum Coetibus a key committee of the Church of England has stated that requests from Anglo-Catholics to allow them to seperate themselves from the ministry of female bishops were no longer being considered.

For comment see:

Signum Pope says "Let my people go", CofE says "you can have 'em"

Damian Thompson The Church of England washes its hands of traditional Anglo-Catholics

Telegraph Snub to traditionalists over women bishops

Some Anglo-Catholic response
Ancient Richborough

http://sevenoaks.blogspot.com/ scroll down
Old Nov 16, '09, 10:37 am
Veteran Member

Default Re: Big News: Church of England shuts door in Anglo-catholics' faces.

As expected.

GKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ZA View Post
A few days after the publication of Anglicanorum Coetibus a key committee of the Church of England has stated that requests from Anglo-Catholics to allow them to seperate themselves from the ministry of female bishops were no longer being considered.

For comment see:

Damian Thompson The Church of England washes its hands of traditional Anglo-Catholics

Ancient Richborough

Old Nov 16, '09, 9:54 pm
Banned

Irrespective of anyone's beliefs on Wo, it's all or none. No other solution is praticable. You can't be having male priests NOT ordained by women bishops, but OK if ordained by male bishops, etc. It's all or none.
Old Nov 19, '09, 10:01 am
Banned

Religion: classical Anglican

Quote:
Originally Posted by anode View Post
Irrespective of anyone's beliefs on Wo, it's all or none. No other solution is praticable. You can't be having male priests NOT ordained by women bishops, but OK if ordained by male bishops, etc. It's all or none.
Yeah, I have to say that I can't see any way that kind of arrangement could be workable. You would have priests and Bishops in the same Church who did not recognize the validity of others. This happens now over women priests to some extent, and it does nothing but cause real heartache, on a personal level as well as division within the church.
Old Nov 26, '09, 12:02 pm

Seeing as how Anglo Catholicism disagrees with a great many of the beliefs stated in the 39 Articles, I wonder why many have stayed Anglican this long and have tolerated it? Anglo Catholicism has been dying on the vine in the Anglican Communion for a long time. In the US the ACNA is dominated by evangelicals, CANA and guys like Duncan tolerate women's ordination, which is a taint on Anglicanism in general (especially high church anglo catholics!), and the Calvary Chapel brand of Anglicanism is on the rise. Africans are starting to ordain women, divorce is more tolerated than ever, and the culture of Anglicanism is more liberal than ever. I think many have stayed Anglo Catholic because of the bells and whistles being superior to the Roman Catholic pomp and circumstance (which is quite true!)....but when returned to Anglicanism for a time out of such a frustration, I found a beautiful liturgy with an underbelly of fill-in-the-blank theology and no real depth as well as a love affair with guys like John Stott and JI Packer, sermons condoning divorce and remarriage, and families that had few children if any. Anglicanism is not sustenance for a person who truly desires the Mass. It has the outward veneer, the beauty on a skin level, but I detected a deep cancer under the flesh. Anglo Catholics need to jump back to Rome. Hopefully with the improved liturgy coming down the road and a desire from Benedict to respect the old ways and Catholic media, maybe we can resurrect a better Mass altogether...but I'm convinced that in twenty years Anglicanism will be 100% evangelical or obliterated completely....
Old Nov 28, '09, 12:44 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Roman Catholic

As a former Anglo Catholic priest in the UK, i can assure you that perhaps as many as 75% of the unmarried clergy in the Anglican system are practising homosexuals. What is more the same can be said for those who came over 10/15 years ago and are now Catholic priests! They are very clever at covering their activity.
Old Nov 28, '09, 2:02 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ZA View Post

For comment see:

Ancient Richborough

....you shouldn't worry too much about it. Doctrine and heresy is far worse than female clergy.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Nov 28, '09, 7:29 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolinus View Post
As a former Anglo Catholic priest in the UK, i can assure you that perhaps as many as 75% of the unmarried clergy in the Anglican system are practising homosexuals. What is more the same can be said for those who came over 10/15 years ago and are now Catholic priests! They are very clever at covering their activity.
The seventh Commandment includes:
Quote:
2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury.278 He becomes guilty:
- of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;
- of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another's faults and failings to persons who did not know them;279
- of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.
2478 To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor's thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:

Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another's statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love. If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved.280
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Old Nov 28, '09, 8:59 pm

Religion: Protestant (Liturgical)

Quote:
You make very bizarre statements. Were they by any chance responsible for any other global conspiracies? How high does the conspiracy go? Are you part of it? Do you personally know the sex lives of all of these men over the years?

#44 Catechism of the Catholic Church
Old Nov 30, '09, 3:14 pm

Religion: Christian
Talking Re: Big News: Church of England shuts door in Anglo-catholics' faces.

Quote:
Wow, are you really an ex-priest!? That's amazing. Why did you become Catholic?

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Dec 26, '09, 12:04 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic

This latest development should make it clear to all traditionalist Anglicans that the die is now cast. There will be no more olive branches extended to them. For many years Anglicans who tried to maintain some semblance of catholic worship have been increasingly shut out. Initially they were told that their conciences would be respected. Like so many other 'promises' made by the innovators, this proved to be valueless. Moreover, the 'liberals' that control the C of E (though in practice they are not 'liberal' at all) will make it all but imnpossible for new candidates for ordination to get through, and new bishops - including male ones - will have to accept the liberal 'new order'. I know many good and faithful traditionalist SAnglicans who still hope that something can be worked out that will allow them to remain in the Anbglican Church. Forget it. Those in control have already got the future mapped out - and it doesn't include you. Pope Benedict's offer is both practical and compassionate, and will enable tradtionalist Anglicans to enter into full communion with the Catholic Church - something many have always desired - while retaining those parts of the Anglican Liturgy which are and have always been truly Catholic. This re-union was something that we had hoped for back in 1981 at the time of Pope John Paul's visit, but sunsequent actions by the Anglican hierarchy made it impossible. But the Holy Spirit will, as always, guide His Church, and has not left those good and faithful Anglicans without an answer...and a future.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009