Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 17, '09, 4:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Is the Catholic Church Really the Largest Charitable Organization on Earth?

Hi,
Recently I was having a conversation with someone and mentioned that the RCC is the largest charitable organization on Earth. He denied that such a thing could possibly be true. So I looked for some proof, and I've had some difficulty. So can anyone help enlighten me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks and God Bless,
-Matthew
Old Nov 17, '09, 6:13 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Is the Catholic Church Really the Largest Charitable Organization on Earth?

It seems like a no-brainer to me when you consider all the Catholic hospitals, schools, Catholic Charities office in every diocese, etc., but I don't know that I've seen any statistics.

You could try asking Catholic Charities USA. They should know.

Ask your friend if he knows of any group that's bigger. If there was such a group, it should be easy to think of right away because they would be so big.
Old Nov 17, '09, 6:54 am

Default Re: Is the Catholic Church Really the Largest Charitable Organization on Earth?

No one even comes close...

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/epic/Epic_%20proof.pdf
Old Nov 17, '09, 7:09 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Well, there's the answer. Thanks, Rambo!
Old Dec 3, '09, 3:07 pm
Account Under Review

One must remember that most Europens and North Americans will instantly deny any moral value to catholicism. Your friend if asked to name another organisation even remotely close would have been utterly stumped but he unburdened himself of a basic kneejerk anti catholic impulse without even thinking....normal and to be expected.

I used to engage is such argument a lot but now I tend to take the view taht the zeitgeist is as it is and we are in a dominant culture that is kneejerk anti catholic. It is possible at times to "talk" with some people adn to quietly challenge their cultural baggage but "argument" is hitting your head against a brick wall.
Old Dec 3, '09, 3:22 pm

Religion: Episcopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penitus View Post
Hi,
Recently I was having a conversation with someone and mentioned that the RCC is the largest charitable organization on Earth. He denied that such a thing could possibly be true. So I looked for some proof, and I've had some difficulty. So can anyone help enlighten me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks and God Bless,
-Matthew
In all honesty, even tho' its a non-religious enity, the United States Government is the most charitable organization on earth. We give more monies and services out then any other organization in the world.
Old Dec 3, '09, 3:43 pm
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
In all honesty, even tho' its a non-religious enity, the United States Government is the most charitable organization on earth. We give more monies and services out then any other organization in the world.
An interesting observation but probably untrue. Much of that "charity" will come with trade and/or political strings attached.
Old Dec 6, '09, 6:13 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Technically, I think given that money is taken from people through involuntary means (taxation as opposed to donations), it would disqualify FedGov as a 'charitable' operation.
Old Dec 6, '09, 6:15 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
No we don't ..The Catholic Church does mre than the US..I changed computers and lost a lot of things but there was an atricle that the Church
out gave all the other countries including the US
Old Dec 6, '09, 11:22 pm

Religion: Episcopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosetea View Post
No we don't ..The Catholic Church does mre than the US..I changed computers and lost a lot of things but there was an atricle that the Church
out gave all the other countries including the US
Can you find this list and post it or post the link?
Old Dec 7, '09, 5:34 am

I wish I could, but if you have ever listened to the Catholics come home commerical one of them says it is the largest charity in the world

I found a zenit article but it was written in French and spanish, and I don't speak either one

You might google Cor Unom
Old Dec 7, '09, 5:39 am

Cor Unum

http://www.catholic.org/internationa...y.php?id=27153
Old Dec 7, '09, 3:12 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosetea View Post
I wish I could, but if you have ever listened to the Catholics come home commerical one of them says it is the largest charity in the world

I found a zenit article but it was written in French and spanish, and I don't speak either one

You might google Cor Unom
Can you link the article? I can't find it, but I might be able to do something with the French and Spanish.

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Dec 7, '09, 3:22 pm

Google is your friend .just try to find it there..It tskes a lot of sifting and I don't have time..but good luck
Old Dec 7, '09, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Oh please, not only has the US government devalued our dollar so much that we are forced to be dependent (so they can control us) but 4000 babies are slaughtered each day with approval of US government. Hardly charitable.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice