Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 20, '09, 8:55 pm

Default Has anyone ever heard this quote from William Buckley about the vernacular Mass replacing Latin? I thought it was hysterical!

"As a Catholic, I have abandoned hope for the liturgy, which, in the typical American church, is as ugly and as maladroit as if it had been composed by Robert Ingersoll and H.L. Mencken for the purpose of driving people away.

Incidentally, the modern liturgists are doing a remarkably good job, attendance at Catholic Mass on Sunday having dropped sharply in the 10 years since a few well-meaning cretins got hold of the power to vernacularize the Mass, and the money to scour the earth in search of the most unmusical men and women to preside over the translation.

The next liturgical ceremony conducted primarily for my benefit, since I have no plans to be beatified or remarried, will be my own funeral; and it is a source of great consolation to me that, at my funeral, I shall be quite dead, and will not need to listen to the accepted replacement for the noble old Latin liturgy. Meanwhile, I am practicing Yoga, so that, at church on Sundays, I can develop the power to tune out everything I hear, while attempting, athwart the general calisthenics, to commune with my Maker, and ask Him first to forgive me my own sins, and implore him, second, not to forgive the people who ruined the Mass.." --from "The Remmant" 1979
Old Nov 20, '09, 9:14 pm
Veteran Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever heard this quote from William Buckley about the vernacular Mass replacing Latin? I thought it was hysterical!

I commend to you Buckley's NEARER MY GOD TO THEE, esp. chap. 6, "Disruptions and Achievments of Vatican II". Indeed, the whole book, for that matter.

GKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurneyhalleck1 View Post
"As a Catholic, I have abandoned hope for the liturgy, which, in the typical American church, is as ugly and as maladroit as if it had been composed by Robert Ingersoll and H.L. Mencken for the purpose of driving people away.

Incidentally, the modern liturgists are doing a remarkably good job, attendance at Catholic Mass on Sunday having dropped sharply in the 10 years since a few well-meaning cretins got hold of the power to vernacularize the Mass, and the money to scour the earth in search of the most unmusical men and women to preside over the translation.

The next liturgical ceremony conducted primarily for my benefit, since I have no plans to be beatified or remarried, will be my own funeral; and it is a source of great consolation to me that, at my funeral, I shall be quite dead, and will not need to listen to the accepted replacement for the noble old Latin liturgy. Meanwhile, I am practicing Yoga, so that, at church on Sundays, I can develop the power to tune out everything I hear, while attempting, athwart the general calisthenics, to commune with my Maker, and ask Him first to forgive me my own sins, and implore him, second, not to forgive the people who ruined the Mass.." --from "The Remmant" 1979
Old Nov 20, '09, 9:39 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, "and loving it."
Default Re: Has anyone ever heard this quote from William Buckley about the vernacular Mass replacing Latin? I thought it was hysterical!

Quote:
" Meanwhile, I am practicing Yoga, so that, at church on Sundays, I can develop the power to tune out everything I hear, while attempting, athwart the general calisthenics, to commune with my Maker, and ask Him first to forgive me my own sins, and implore him, second, not to forgive the people who ruined the Mass.." --from "The Remmant" 1979
Ooh boy. I can really relate to that!!

“Experience teaches that the man who exercises a frequent and rigid censorship over his thoughts, words and actions, is better capable of hating and avoiding evil and of cultivating earnestly what is good”
- St Pius X
Old Nov 20, '09, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reginator View Post
Ooh boy. I can really relate to that!!
Me, too. I read this quote and laughed so hard I had tears! He NAILED IT! I have heard quotes from JRR Tokien's son talking about how furious his father was when Vatican II ruined the Latin Mass. Tokien would continue to respond in Latin at the Mass when the Priest presiding would be speaking in English throughout. "The peace of the Lord be with you!" "Et cum spiritu tuo!" lol...His son was mortified and humiliated. I thought it was cool! Buckley and Tolkien, what a ticket!
Old Nov 21, '09, 12:21 am

Religion: Catholic

Thank you!!

I need to read this frequently to maintain my equilibrium.

[Gee, I miss Bill.]

" the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees …" -- (former) Senator and Vice President Albert Gore Jr.
Old Nov 21, '09, 1:57 am
Banned

Religion: NotA == None of the Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by fultonfish View Post
[Gee, I miss Bill.]
Too true.

For me, Dear Bill was the first indicator that I got that there might actually be intelligent life on Earth after all.
Old Nov 21, '09, 4:54 am
Banned

Religion: OHCAC

that is beautifull. finally someone courageous.

O truth, you are present to those who seek your help, and at one and the same time you answer all, though they seek your counsel on different matters. You respond clearly, but not everyone hears clearly. All ask what they wish, but do not always hear the answer they wish. Your best servant is he who is intent not so much on hearing his petition answered, as rather on willing whatever he hears from you.
St Augustine
Old Nov 21, '09, 6:43 am
Banned

Quote:

HYSTERICAL!!! I can just hear Buckly saying that.
Old Nov 21, '09, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CradleCath View Post
HYSTERICAL!!! I can just hear Buckly saying that.
Me, too! And I can visualize him saying it with those hilarious facial expressions where his eyes grew HUGE quickly when he emphasized something then they shrank back to regular size and his eyebrows went up and down with that droll quasi-British voice. Good stuff... The "Yoga" part had me really cracking up!
Old Nov 21, '09, 11:06 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

\\As a Catholic, I have abandoned hope for the liturgy, which, in the typical American church, is as ugly and as maladroit as if it had been composed by Robert Ingersoll and H.L. Mencken for the purpose of driving people away.\\

Oh, this is untrue and unfair.

H. L. Mencken was a MUCH better English stylist than ICEL.
Old Nov 22, '09, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
\\As a Catholic, I have abandoned hope for the liturgy, which, in the typical American church, is as ugly and as maladroit as if it had been composed by Robert Ingersoll and H.L. Mencken for the purpose of driving people away.\\

Oh, this is untrue and unfair.

H. L. Mencken was a MUCH better English stylist than ICEL.
Oh lighten up, basil! I think it's hilarious
Old Nov 24, '09, 10:27 pm

Yes, but it shows something of the complexity of the man that was Buckley in that in John Judis' biography of WFB which I read, WFB did not support the Catholic Church's stance on birth control for some time I believe.
Old Nov 25, '09, 1:26 am

Who is William Buckley?
Old Nov 28, '09, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecake View Post
Who is William Buckley?
Founder of "National Review" and author of "God & Man at Yale" and many other books.

http://www.nationalreview.com/

He was a prolific writer and devout sailor.

" the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees …" -- (former) Senator and Vice President Albert Gore Jr.
Old Nov 29, '09, 1:07 am

Thank you fultonfish!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism