Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 26, '05, 2:56 pm
Catholic Answers Apologist

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How come my questions aren't answered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMaMaXiMuS
Since I've been posting to this forum, I've submitted approximately ten questions and received answers to maybe three. So can someone explain to me why this happens?
Yes. See this thread, which is a sticky at the top of the Ask an Apologist forum:

Here are a couple of the notes you will find in that thread:

Quote:
Staff apologists have limited time and are not able to address all questions. You may indeed have an interesting and pressing question, but if the AAA forum is extremely busy, it may not get answered.

Please retain a copy of your question before submitting it. If it is not answered within 5 days, then it was deleted (please see Rule 1 above). Please redirect the question to one of Catholic Answers' public forums so that other participants can help you with the question.
For questions that do not get answered and that you do not wish to post to the general forums, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Questions that are chosen to be answered are usually of a general-interest nature and have not been asked before. Sometimes you may see variants of the same question (e.g., annulments, weddings), but there is usually something about them that is unique and that will interest the general public. Those questions that are chosen immediately usually happen to be asked when an apologist is online and notices a new question that intrigues him or her.

The staff apologists do their best to answer as many questions as they can on the forums in a timely manner, but the popularity of the AAA forum and the limited time of the apologists does mean that some questions submitted to the AAA queue may not be answered. Participants whose questions are not answered are welcome to contact Catholic Answers directly. All questions submitted by voice mail to the apologetics staff are answered within three to five business days, depending on the current backlog.

Last edited by Therese Martin; Aug 29, '05 at 2:07 pm. Reason: MERGED W/ RULES & TIPS
Old Sep 1, '05, 11:39 am

Default Did you get my message?

Hi...

I asked a question about 4-5 days ago and haven't gotten a response. Also, I don't see my question in this forum! Do questions to an apologist appear on any forums, so others can see the question?

Thanks.

Art Granville
Old Sep 1, '05, 2:21 pm

Default Re: Did you get my message?

Dear Art,

As you may have noticed, I just answered your question. We get many more questions than we can answer. Usually we try not to answer a question that we have recently answered. Questions that are serious and seem urgent, we tend to answer first. Also, on this forum you only see the questions that we have answered.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Last edited by Therese Martin; Sep 6, '05 at 9:43 am. Reason: MERGED W/ RULES & TIPS
Old Dec 5, '05, 7:36 pm
Observing Member

Default By what authority do you answer questions about Catholicism?

Many of the questions being answered in this forum are being answered by laypeople. What authority has been given to them from the Vatican to authoritatively answer these questions about the Roman Catholic faith?
Old Dec 9, '05, 3:34 pm

Default Re: By what authority do you answer questions about Catholicism?

The Vatican does not deputize laypeople to speak on its behalf, with the possible exception of Dr. Joaquin Navarro-Valls, director of the Vatican's press office. (And, in that capacity, in which he usually handles press relations, he generally does not deal with the kind of questions apologists answer in this forum.)

Catholic laypeople answer questions about the Catholic faith on the basis of being educated Catholics. Just as a person might turn to a lay catechist for answers to questions of faith and morals, so that person can ask those questions of a lay Catholic apologist.

Recommended reading:

Are these forums affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church?
Which apologist has the Church's approval?

Last edited by Therese Martin; Dec 12, '05 at 2:20 pm. Reason: MRGD W/ RULES & TIPS STICKY
Old Jan 2, '06, 11:31 am

Default BECOMING AN APOLOGIST: Advice from the CA staff

One of the frequent questions received by the Catholic Answers staff is how to become an apologist. Listed below are some links to information. In the future, this list may be extended as more resources become known, so be sure to check back occasionally.

Last edited by Michelle Arnold; Dec 4, '06 at 3:20 pm.
Old Jan 5, '06, 11:33 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Why do you answer questions with links to other sources?

Can one of you give in your own words what the Church teaches on predestination? You often link us to Jimmy Akin's A Tiptoe Through TULIP but it is very ambiguous. Let us know what we should be telling Calvinists is the Catholic Church's teaching and why. I'm sure if you are in a discussion with a friend of yours and he brings up predestination, you wouldn't say, "Read Jimmy Akin's article or buy his book." Please tell us what you would say.

Last edited by Michelle Arnold; Jan 5, '06 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jan 5, '06, 2:13 pm

Default Re: Why do you answer questions with links to other sources?

The staff apologists use links because we are trying to answer as many questions as possible in a limited amount of time. If we know of an article or a book that addresses the inquirer's question, we often will link that article or book so that the inquirer will know where to go to get the information he seeks. Since the Ask an Apologist forum is an informational forum and not a discussion forum, those interested in opinions should take their questions to one of the general forums such as the Apologetics forum.

Last edited by Therese Martin; Jan 9, '06 at 3:47 pm. Reason: MRGD W/ RULES & TIPS STICKY
Old Jul 23, '07, 10:23 am

Religion: relapsed Catholic (I mean relapsed not lapsed)
Default Is Reginald Plum a real person?

I very much like our new AAA Docent with his horde-o-links for questions that have been asked often, but I'd like to know if he is a real person or a "bot."

Last edited by Michelle Arnold; Jul 23, '07 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jul 23, '07, 12:19 pm

Default Re: Is Reginald Plum a real person?

Reginald Plum is indeed a real person who has recently joined the Ask an Apologist (AAA) forum. Our new AAA Docent is part of an ongoing effort here at CAF to help more people with the faith. The role of the docent is to assist people in the AAA forum find the answers they are seeking by performing searches and compiling links.

In this manner, the docent is acting more as a personal assistant than as an apologist. But the role is important as it provides personalized help to individuals. Many newcomers are concerned primarily with getting answers (and not so much with learning AAA protocol and the intricacies of the forum software). They just want their questions answered and the docent helps them in this regard.
Old Jul 25, '07, 5:44 am

Default Why is Reginald Plum doing all the work now?

One of my favorite things about CAF was reading the insightful answers in the AAA forum. In fact, it was a comment made by Fr. Serpa that is largely responsible for my finally coming back to the Church.

Now, sadly, it seems that the vast majority of questions are being "answered" by Reginald Plum. His links -- some of which are, indeed, written by CAF's resident apologists -- are no doubt helpful, but I truly miss the concise yet incisive responses of the professional apologists, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My question is: why? I understand the need to have someone do what Reginald does, but it's very frustrating to find a list of 10 articles I should read when I'm hoping for a quick answer from an expert. It seems to me that (with due respect to Reginald) that this function is inappropriate for a forum called "Ask an Apologist".

Peace,
Dante
Old Jul 25, '07, 9:48 am

Default Re: Why is Reg doing all the work now?

Hi Dante,

Reginald Plum is simply using answers that the apologists on this forum have given in the past. Since we so often receive questions that have been asked and answered many times before, Reginald is providing the apologists’ answers from the past. This frees the apologists to answer more questions that have not be answered before.

The number of questions Reginald is providing gives you some idea of how often we have had to answer the same questions over and over. Anyway, never fear we’re still here. And also, thank you for the feed back. We know in general that the Lord uses this forum in powerful ways. But it is always gratifying for us to hear of specific instances.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.
Old Nov 30, '07, 3:36 pm

Default PLEASE READ FIRST :: AAA Rules, Procedures, Tips, Options

The Forum Administrator has asked me to explain the apologetics staff's activity in the Ask an Apologist (AAA) forum.

Staff apologists for Catholic Answers will log onto the Catholic Answers Forums (CAF) as time permits from their other duties, which are considerable. What this can mean, much to our regret, is that staff apologists may not have much time to devote to answering questions in the AAA forum. There are three means though by which members can get their unanswered questions answered:

Quote:
The AAA Docent: The bulk of questions in the AAA question queue have already been answered at one time or another by the staff apologist. Our AAA Docent, Reginald Plum, helps the staff apologists by searching for and posting links to answer questions that have already been answered. This assures that more questions are answered than would otherwise be the case.

The General Forums: Many of our members are fine amateur apologists. A question that goes unanswered by the staff apologists can be reposted in one of the general forums where members may take up the question for discussion.

Catholic Answers' Office: Staff apologists answer one-hundred-percent of the questions that are phoned into our office and left on a staff apologist's voice mail -- which helps to explain some of the duties that take up the apologists' time and prevent them from answering all AAA forum questions. If your question goes unanswered in the AAA forum and if you, for whatever reason, do not wish to ask the question of fellow CAF members, you may contact Catholic Answers directly with your question.
When using the AAA forum, here are a few quick ways to increase your chances of getting a question answered:

Quote:
1. Read the AAA forum rules carefully and follow them precisely.
2. Read the AAA forum rules carefully and follow them precisely.
3. Read the AAA forum rules carefully and follow them precisely.
I say this with tongue in cheek, but it reflects one of the primary reasons why questions often go unanswered. The rules were created as a means of expediting the process and when they are not followed it is less likely that your question will be answered. We have answered many questions that reflect a lack of familiarity with the AAA forum's rules, but it takes more time for us to do so, which means that there is less time available to answer as many questions as we would like.

I hope that this will be helpful in explaining the AAA forum and the staff apologists' activity there. Please know that we very much appreciate the confidence that so many place in us by entrusting us with their questions and we are gratified that so many write to let us know that our answers helped them in some way. Thanks, and God bless.
Old Jan 25, '08, 12:22 pm
Administrator

Default Most Popular Subjects in AAA

Here are some of the most popular subjects submitted to the AAA forum:
________________________________________ __________

You can also find answers by particular apologists:
Old Apr 10, '08, 12:25 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Castillo
Default Is CAF liberal or conservative?

I am brand-new to interacting on the Catholic Answers Forums (CAF) and thank you for the opportunity. Is this a liberal or conservative Catholic web site?

Last edited by Michelle Arnold; Apr 10, '08 at 3:05 pm.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist