Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 26, '09, 3:46 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Gabrielle Bossis "He and I"

Here is an interesting article about a French Catholic laywoman named Gabrielle Bossis who received interior locutions from our Lord, and wrote them down in a "diary", which was later published after her death into numerous languages under the title "He and I".
I was wondering what others think about this book. I notice it has many positive reviews in Amazon.com

God bless-
Joseph
Old Nov 26, '09, 4:49 pm

Default Re: Gabrielle Bossis "He and I"

I have that book; it was given to me by a friend as a "welcome home" gift when I came back to the Church about 20 years ago. It's very sweet and at the time I took it seriously. Now I'm sceptical about it. There were all kinds of books coming out about direct communication with Jesus or God back then (maybe there still are) and most weren't even Christian. The website devoted to her is in French; I couldn't find much info just now in English. I hope you get some good responses to your post; I'm interested in what other readers have to say. For me, personally, I don't read those kinds of books anymore and steer clear of private revelation.
Old Nov 26, '09, 8:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

I've read parts of it and liked it

The question for me is.... is this book accepted by the Church? (such as the local bishop, or at least the author's spiritual director if she had one)

does it have the imprimatur and/or nihil obstat?

if so, I'd have no problem with reading it...

we don't HAVE to believe in private revelation, but I've found some of it very edifying, and I love books like "Divine Mercy in My Soul"...

God bless

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Nov 27, '09, 3:18 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_joseph1 View Post
Here is an interesting article about a French Catholic laywoman named Gabrielle Bossis who received interior locutions from our Lord, and wrote them down in a "diary", which was later published after her death into numerous languages under the title "He and I".
I was wondering what others think about this book. I notice it has many positive reviews in Amazon.com

God bless-
Joseph

As far as I can tell her "messages" are not Church approved but if you can point to Church documentation showing they are approved I will stand corrected.
Old Nov 27, '09, 8:04 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
As far as I can tell her "messages" are not Church approved but if you can point to Church documentation showing they are approved I will stand corrected.
I looked it up, and every source seems to be saying that it was approved by her bishop... and apparently, some (newer?) versions of the book have the imprimatur and nihil obstat.

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Nov 27, '09, 8:36 am

Monica, can you post a link for that info?
Old Nov 27, '09, 4:57 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
I looked it up, and every source seems to be saying that it was approved by her bishop... and apparently, some (newer?) versions of the book have the imprimatur and nihil obstat.
Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat do not mean that the messages are approved by the Church. It simply means the local Bishop has allowed a book to be published and that there appears to be nothing contrary to Church doctrine. That does not mean the "messages" are supernatural.
Old Nov 27, '09, 5:17 pm

Did anybody ever find a link for that?
Old Dec 25, '09, 7:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Was loaned a copy of "He and I". To be honest, I am also skeptical about the book.

The translator wrote a terrible introduction that just reeks of New Age-ism. Footnotes try to tie her thoughts back to Catholicism, but it doesn't feel right to me. "Christ Consciousness" for one, quoting the Upanishads (Hindu), other weird names for GOD, like "Father-Mother God".

As for Bossis' locutions - hit or miss. Some are very inspiring. Others sound like they did not come from Jesus, but from her own thoughts. Not sure how to take "Be your own Christ". And Jesus also says that even if she doesn't believe that it's really Him, she should act like it.
Old Dec 25, '09, 11:09 pm

I've read the book, and re-read parts of it. It's not even really private revelation. It's sort of a diary of the thoughts that came into her mind from Jesus. These thoughts were meant for her personally and don't speak to everyone's personal situation.

I think that God uses our consciences and imaginations to speak to our hearts at certain times in our lives and what Gabrielle experienced isn't unusual. When/if we have a similar experience, we need to discern if the ideas are coming from God, ourselves, or the evil one. It's helpful (maybe even necessary) to have a spiritual director for this.

A useful way to read this book is to imagine that Gabrielle is a friend who is sharing with you how God has acted in her own life. If your personality is similar to hers in some ways, the insights that were given to her may be quite helpful to you. At least, they will give you ideas to talk over with the Lord.

Gabrielle was Catholic. I didn't notice that anything she wrote was contrary to the faith, at least in the translation I've read. Her understanding of what she 'heard' would have been a Catholic understanding, even if the writer of the introduction would try to imply otherwise. Nobody reading this book should consider it to be 'revelation'.

Does a dyslexic atheist refuse to believe in dog??
Old Dec 26, '09, 12:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thank you, Claire! Will keep what you shared in mind.
Old Jan 7, '10, 9:44 am

The book "He and I" by Gabrielle Bossis has an Imprimatur by his Excellency Jean-Marie Fortier, Archbishop, Sherbrooke, Quebec.

God Bless,
-Joseph
Old Jan 7, '10, 10:56 am

I have read the book and found it delightful. It's good to know that Jesus also "talks" to those who are not monks, nuns or priests. It was and still is a great help to me. I particularly like the passage where she is lamenting about the dust, which has resettled on the furniture and she has to start dusting all over again. The "Voice" as she calls it says that it's just the same with souls; A continuous cleansing.
I just so like how the "Voice" explains how important the littlest things are in every day life, like an ordinary smile. Just try doing that, giving someone a big smile and really you will see the difference it makes to that person and then just say "thank you " to God who inspired you to smile.
I can't see what's "new age" about the book.I think it's got lots of practical ideas, which I now try to put into practice Жanna
Old Apr 19, '10, 5:26 pm
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

Oh, thank you all for your comments here. Someone who's battling cancer gave me this book and said it had given him comfort. When I found out this was someone's locutions, I was a bit leery. The copy I have is a 1985 copy and has an imprimatur, but what does it mean, really, when it comes to the whole content of a book, including the translator's/editor's notes etc.? Just like thistle said above, it simply indicates permission to publish, in this book's case, by the archbishop. Then I read the Preface by the translator and was alarmed by what I read, just like Mom2Bruno wrote in one of her comments above. It "reeks of New Age-ism" (I should know, I dabbled in it). I had only begun reading this book, but decided that I should check on this forum first before I continued. It seems harmless for me to continue, but I will keep your comments in mind as I read this book. So thank you all . Pax Christi. --t.
Old Apr 19, '10, 5:49 pm

My edition is from the 80's too. It's packed away and I haven't read it since it was given to me as a gift years ago. I don't know that there's anything overtly harmful in what it says. I remember one episode only; the person who is supposedly Jesus tells her she doesn't need to be wearing nail polish. However, I didn't like the fact that she referred to "The Voice." I also dabbled in New Age stuff back then and there's a very destructive spiritual discipline that also refers to the "Voice". My personal thought is that just because it seems innocuous enough and doesn't say anything contrary to Catholicism doesn't mean it came from a harmless source. If I heard a 'Voice' saying anything I wouldn't trust it so why risk giving trust to a Voice that somebody else hears?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality