Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 26, '09, 5:23 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default erections

is enjoying an erection due to some weird sexual fetish a sin? No lust is involved, ie no desires for sexual intercourse involved. Just enjoying it for the sake of enjoyment.
Old Nov 26, '09, 5:37 pm

Default Re: erections

Lust is more than desire for sexual intercourse. It is desire for sexual gratification outside its proper context (marriage and open to life) and is based on the image of its object, rather than as an extension of love.

So if that fits that definition, then yes; it is sinful.
Old Nov 26, '09, 6:19 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

If it was due to a sexual fetish like you say, then yes it's a sin.
Old Nov 26, '09, 7:54 pm

Religion: Closet Catholic :/

It is taking a normal, bodily function out of the natural environment it is meant for, and taking pleasure out of it being in this unnatural environment. It really doesn't sound any different than masturbation. Our God given equipment can easily be misused.

Catholic Apologetics on Youtube
Teen Catholic Converts Colony
Old Nov 26, '09, 8:03 pm

So, would you consider the actual act of masturbation sinful?

Old Nov 26, '09, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhereMan View Post
I don`t believe that, God didn`t give us our sexuality & all the feelings that go along with it to be totally suppressed all the time. We are meant to have erections, we get them at the darndest times & sometimes they feel good, so whats wrong with that, Nothing
This is precisely right, by the very nature of an "erection" - it's meant to feel good, so if you get it, then you just got it, there's nothing you can do, and it feels good, it's not a sin.

All the naysayers to this lack have reasoning problems.

I'm just amazed at the amount of people coming on to this board asking the most ridiculous questions about sin. I got an erection, is it a sin? Have I been excommunicated?! OMG I'm not sure whether i have mortally sinned. Am I going to hell? I sneezed on a friend, should I confess? I tripped and broke my hand, have I abused my body and will I go to hell?

And the saga continues.
Old Nov 26, '09, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSword View Post
So, would you consider the actual act of masturbation sinful?
If anyone gets an erection, especially if it's out of their control, like young males, then how is it a sin? It's MEANT to feel good, if you have problems reasoning this, then I suggest you ask God why he made it so, it may click eventually.

What does masturbation have to do with it? Are you just asking him that to make a wide sweeping generalization? 'cause the attempt is obvious.
Old Nov 26, '09, 8:12 pm

We take pleasure in the act of reproduction so as to encourage us to 'be fruitful and multiply'. When taken out of the context of male and female, validly married, and the purpose of conception of a child, it is no longer pleasure but sin.
Masturbation applies not only to the abuse of these functions 'all the way', but also the mere stimulation of them. I can understand that it may not be the will of us that it comes upon us when it does, but we should not try and enjoy it, but to get rid of it as soon as we can.

Old Nov 26, '09, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1478971 View Post
is enjoying an erection due to some weird sexual fetish a sin? No lust is involved, ie no desires for sexual intercourse involved. Just enjoying it for the sake of enjoyment.

If you allow it to take over your mind and you encourage it it could be sin. Can you pray when you are enjoying it? Or do you try and hide it from Him? Also if it is conected with Fetish it is most definately sin. Look up " fetish" in the dictionary. Although you posting this on a public forum suggest to me that you probably don't have a good prayer life. Don't you think that is a question for your Priest? Do you realize children frequent this website?
Fetish: an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.
James 1:14-15 But every man is tempted by his own concupiscence, being drawn away and allured. 15 Then, when concupiscence hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin. But sin, when it is completed, begetteth death.
Old Nov 26, '09, 10:51 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I'm just amazed at the amount of people coming on to this board asking the most ridiculous questions about sin. I got an erection, is it a sin? Have I been excommunicated?! OMG I'm not sure whether i have mortally sinned. Am I going to hell? I sneezed on a friend, should I confess? I tripped and broke my hand, have I abused my body and will I go to hell?
If the erection had just occured on its own, it wouldn't have been sinful. The fact that he said a strange sexual fetish caused it made it sinful. It's a pretty simple conclusion any Catholic should come to.
Old Nov 27, '09, 2:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inwe86 View Post
If the erection had just occured on its own, it wouldn't have been sinful. The fact that he said a strange sexual fetish caused it made it sinful. It's a pretty simple conclusion any Catholic should come to.
Sexual fetishes can be a number of things, and a lot of people have it, catholic or not. Getting aroused due to a fetish is not a sin in itself, unless he was out seeking it.

There are men with "leg fetishes" as an example, it's just like that, they may get turned on by great legs, they might try to avoid it, but that's like trying to avoid gravity.

Do you get my point, or do I need to demonstrate at a much simpler level still?
Old Dec 13, '09, 12:07 am
Banned

An erection in itself caused by unwanting intentions isnt a sin. If it was then every teen boy would be sinning almost daily. Someitmes an erection can occur without wanting (upon waking up, dancing with someone, or some other unintention reason). But getting an erection due to looking at a Victoria secret catalog would be sin, because your intention is to lust over that image. Erection happens to the best of us at the worst moments no big deal just pray and ask to the Lord to give you strenght.
Old Dec 13, '09, 5:18 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriusMaximus View Post
Sexual fetishes can be a number of things, and a lot of people have it, catholic or not. Getting aroused due to a fetish is not a sin in itself, unless he was out seeking it.

There are men with "leg fetishes" as an example, it's just like that, they may get turned on by great legs, they might try to avoid it, but that's like trying to avoid gravity.

Do you get my point, or do I need to demonstrate at a much simpler level still?
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.
He could easily get an erection without seeking it. Most males on the planet wake up each morning with an erection. Its what he does when he realises he has one that makes the difference. If he likes the enjoyment of having the erection and dwells on these thoughts that is a sin.
Anyone who gets an involuntary erection but then ignores it so it goes away is not committing a sin.
Old Dec 13, '09, 6:12 pm

Religion: Reform Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1478971 View Post
It's not a fetish; its natural. Believe it or not so is masturbation, as it occurs in the animal kingdom. Your fellow Catholics would say its your responsibility to be better than the other animals. The truth of the matter is: Sexuality is the primary motivator and it if its not channeled properly it can manifest itself as aggression and cloud your mind. When you have an orgasim there are both positive and negative feedback loops in play. Testosterone receptors in the brain downgrade, but your bodies testosterone production upgrades. So its a double edge sword. Personally I don't know how Catholics do it... whatever you do just be aware that its natural and don't feel too guilty.
Old Dec 13, '09, 6:30 pm
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
It's not a fetish; its natural. Believe it or not so is masturbation, as it occurs in the animal kingdom. Your fellow Catholics would say its your responsibility to be better than the other animals. The truth of the matter is: Sexuality is the primary motivator and it if its not channeled properly it can manifest itself as aggression and cloud your mind. When you have an orgasim there are both positive and negative feedback loops in play. Testosterone receptors in the brain downgrade, but your bodies testosterone production upgrades. So its a double edge sword. Personally I don't know how Catholics do it... whatever you do just be aware that its natural and don't feel too guilty.
As a comment on this it is also true that the desire for revenge leading to killing, child killing and rape are all perfectly natural and all frequently occur in the animal kingdom.

That behaviour is A) natural and B) occur in the animal world are both totally worthless points to make in defining what is or is not moral.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology