Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #46  
Old Dec 6, '09, 3:12 pm
ccolley2's Avatar
ccolley2 ccolley2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 3, 2009
Posts: 199
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I don't suppose many people spend a lot of time compiling such lists. But by all means if you have a better one, post it. I am curious why you diidn't object to the Wikipedia list of converts to Catholicism?

What difference does it make if we don't know what the personal philosophies of these people are? It doesn't mean they don't have one - only that they appear not to be affiliated to a specific body. And it is also possible that a person could be pretty sure he was not a Catholic without having all the answers.

There tends to be this idea among some that non-Catholics must be uneducated about what Catholisism is. Although some are (just like some Catholics) it really is a rather silly idea - it is possible to find many people, with good brains and a good religious education, who are not Catholic. I am not sure what is served by perpetuating such a myth.
First of all, I wasn't objecting to the fact that wikipedia was used as a link...only that it seemed odd to use a link that says what I posted as a caveat.

How could someone decide to leave the Church without having all the answers? My assertion is that most people leave the Catholic Church because they don't really know their faith. The real reasons can only be known by that person and God...But knowing the faith and the reasons behind that faith are typically the reasons why people are returning or converting to the Catholic faith. I have never said that there weren't good people with good brains that are not Catholic...I am simply asserting that a well-informed Catholic would not leave the Church....and that there is a majority of Catholics in their 30's and 40's that were poorly catechized...many of them left the church and those that didn't leave, educated themselves...and stayed in the church.

P.S. Add Louis Pasteur to that list of famous Catholics.
CC
Papist since 1992!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Dec 6, '09, 3:53 pm
Bluegoat Bluegoat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Posts: 5,016
Religion: classical Anglican
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccolley2 View Post
First of all, I wasn't objecting to the fact that wikipedia was used as a link...only that it seemed odd to use a link that says what I posted as a caveat.

How could someone decide to leave the Church without having all the answers? My assertion is that most people leave the Catholic Church because they don't really know their faith. The real reasons can only be known by that person and God...But knowing the faith and the reasons behind that faith are typically the reasons why people are returning or converting to the Catholic faith. I have never said that there weren't good people with good brains that are not Catholic...I am simply asserting that a well-informed Catholic would not leave the Church....and that there is a majority of Catholics in their 30's and 40's that were poorly catechized...many of them left the church and those that didn't leave, educated themselves...and stayed in the church.

P.S. Add Louis Pasteur to that list of famous Catholics.
CC
Papist since 1992!
Wikipedia has some specific guidelines about posting about people's religious conversions - that may relate to their caveat.

The opposite of what you describe is also true. I have, just as an example, seen a number of former Protestants on this site give arguments against the idea of sola scriptura which clearly misunderstood how their former group understood it.

Unfortunatly, religion is a big topic. If a person wanted to fully understand Christianity, or Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam, among others, before converting from them, no one would ever be in a position to convert.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Dec 6, '09, 4:35 pm
MonFrere MonFrere is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 24, 2007
Posts: 443
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

took a quick look and couldn't see ...

Robert Bork -- the infamous Reagan appointee to the Supreme Court that was derailed

Robert Louis Wilken -- very highly respected author and academic. Wrote one of my favorites books on the early church before he converted -- The Spirit of Early Christian Thought.

MonFrere
__________________
If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly. G.K. Chesterton
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Dec 6, '09, 6:19 pm
tparsons tparsons is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2004
Posts: 171
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Carson View Post
I'm interested in putting together a list of famous converts to the Catholic Church because I think that may provide a qualitative measure of the movement toward Rome.

One of my pet theories is that although the Catholic Church loses a large number of members each year to non-Catholic sects (it is said that the second largest religious group in the US is ex-Catholic), these emmigrants are largely ignorant of or indifferent to their faith at the time of their departure.

Conversely, those who are entering the Catholic Church tend to be highly knowlegable about both the denomination they are leaving and the faith they are embracing. No one becomes a Catholic in ignorance; to the contrary, they have often undergone a lengthy period of soul-searching as they have wrestled with and become convinced about theological issues that they initially wanted to disprove.


Here is my initial list (in no particular order):

James Akin
Dave Armstrong
Tony Blair
Newt Gingrich
Scott Hahn
Thomas Howard
Robert Koons
Gerry Matatics
John Henry Newman
Tim Staples
Steven Ray
Mark Shea
Robert Sungenis

I look forward to your additions.
Don Adams
Mary Astor
Atahualpa
Lee Atwater
Augustus II
Augustus III
Binnie Barnes
Aubrey Beardsley
Mary Kay Bergman
Lennox Berkeley
G. W. Bitzer
Conrad Black
Tony Blair
Emperor Bokassa I
Erma Bombeck
Robert Bork
Jim Bowie
Heywood Broun
Sam Brownback
Jeb Bush
Roger Casement
King Charles II
G. K. Chesterton
Christina of Sweden
Wesley Clark
Gerty Cori
Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne
André Dacier
Kim Dae-Jung
Duffy Daugherty
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Dec 6, '09, 7:15 pm
Pax Pax is offline
Senior Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 7,452
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
Really? I thought she was just a fallen-away.

The Journey Home is a great EWTN show to watch in this regard, and one of my faves.

I stand corrected...Anne Rice is a revert! Praise the Lord for that!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Dec 6, '09, 9:14 pm
curtishouse30 curtishouse30 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 2009
Posts: 70
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

I don't know if this has been said yet but Brett Favre is a Catholic
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Dec 7, '09, 5:32 am
po18guy's Avatar
po18guy po18guy is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
 
Join Date: April 18, 2007
Posts: 23,094
Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Carson View Post
Pope Benedict XVI, our current pope, said this? When? Where?
What he said, and I'll have to look up time and place, is that the Church would be smaller and more fervent. I added my editorial comments to the end, which I should have avoided. I likely heard it on EWTN (Marcus Grodi, I think), since that is basically my sole media contact.

Here are some Google hits:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
__________________
"He was the first one in the world to break all of the commandments at once"
- Bishop Fulton Sheen regarding Moses throwing the stone tablets -
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Dec 7, '09, 6:07 am
po18guy's Avatar
po18guy po18guy is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
 
Join Date: April 18, 2007
Posts: 23,094
Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccolley2 View Post
If you tell a lie long enough, loud enough and to as many people as possible, then the lie appears to become true....the criticism against the Pope was/is unfounded ...in "Pope Fiction" Patrick Madrid devotes an entire chapter to telling the truth about Pope Pius XII and his speaking out. Books like "Hitler's Pope" is a foray into historical revisionism and lacks good historical basis. Even Albert Einstein praised the Pope's efforts to harbor Jews and secretly smuggle them out of Italy sometimes dressed in clerical garb. The Vatican basement was turned into a factory to manufacture false identity papers so that hundreds of thousands of Jews could escape from Italy. The Pope hid hundreds of Jews in his summer residence and ordered that every convent and monastery open its doors to Jews seeking sanctuary. His supposed "silence'" was in response to what happened in Holland when the Bishops (encouraged by the Pope) read a letter denouncing Nazism...Hitler immediately rounded up every convert to Catholicism of Jewish ancestry(including Edith Stein and her sister) and sent them to the concentration camps. Priests and Bishops that were caught harboring Jews or helping them to escape were also arrested and sent to the death camps. Fearing harsher reprisals, rather than speak out, the Pope worked quietly behind the scenes to save hundreds of thousands of Jews. Should he have spoken out more? Maybe...but I find modern day historians doing "Monday morning Quarterbacking" to be rather asinine. Those that do it need a new hobby.

BTW, Edith Stein and her sister were famous converts to Catholicism.
PAX,
CC
Papist since 1992~
I think it was in Crisis magazine that they featured the article: "Hitler's Mufti". Rabbi David Dalin, who supports the work of Pius XII, wrote a book about Hitler's connection to the then nascent radical Islam.

http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Evil-Hitl.../dp/1400066530

Here are some links to other articles:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
__________________
"He was the first one in the world to break all of the commandments at once"
- Bishop Fulton Sheen regarding Moses throwing the stone tablets -
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Dec 7, '09, 6:14 am
Randy Carson's Avatar
Randy Carson Randy Carson is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: September 22, 2006
Posts: 12,206
Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I don't suppose many people spend a lot of time compiling such lists. But by all means if you have a better one, post it. I am curious why you diidn't object to the Wikipedia list of converts to Catholicism?

What difference does it make if we don't know what the personal philosophies of these people are? It doesn't mean they don't have one - only that they appear not to be affiliated to a specific body. And it is also possible that a person could be pretty sure he was not a Catholic without having all the answers.

There tends to be this idea among some that non-Catholics must be uneducated about what Catholisism is. Although some are (just like some Catholics) it really is a rather silly idea - it is possible to find many people, with good brains and a good religious education, who are not Catholic. I am not sure what is served by perpetuating such a myth.
The premise behind the OP is that people who join the Catholic Church tend to be highly informed about both the faith that they are leaving and the faith that they are embracing.

People tend to leave the Catholic Church because they want to use birth control or think that women should be priests, etc.

And while these ex-Catholics probably enjoy a certain amount of fame amongst their own congregations as the resident "expert" on all matters related to the Catholic Church, my experience in discussing various topics with them here in this forum is that they were misinformed when they left and have not corrected that problem since.
__________________
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '79
I'm a Catholic. You have questions. Let's get started.

Now reading:
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin (this is a must-read book)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Dec 7, '09, 6:27 am
Robster7 Robster7 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 31, 2007
Posts: 127
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Mortimer Adler, philosopher and renound scholar of Aristotle and St Thomas Aquinas.
I highly recommend his intro to Aristotle, "Aristotle for Everybody: Difficult Thought Made Easy" as a great intro to philosophy, along with Plato's "Apology." Both make philosophy quite approachable, esp. for the beginner.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Dec 7, '09, 11:03 am
Bluegoat Bluegoat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Posts: 5,016
Religion: classical Anglican
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Carson View Post
The premise behind the OP is that people who join the Catholic Church tend to be highly informed about both the faith that they are leaving and the faith that they are embracing.

People tend to leave the Catholic Church because they want to use birth control or think that women should be priests, etc.

And while these ex-Catholics probably enjoy a certain amount of fame amongst their own congregations as the resident "expert" on all matters related to the Catholic Church, my experience in discussing various topics with them here in this forum is that they were misinformed when they left and have not corrected that problem since.
I am not sure that I have found the premise true - there seem to be a lot of Protestant converts here who have a pretty basic misunderstanding of some Protestant concepts.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Dec 7, '09, 12:28 pm
Robster7 Robster7 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 31, 2007
Posts: 127
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Mary Karr, author, wrote recently published memoir, "Lit" re struggles with alcohol and toward the end mentions her conversion. Also wrote book of poetry, "Sinners Welcome."

What is strikes me re some converts is that they often arrived at the point largely on their own (with the help of Holy Spirit of course!). They weren't hornswaggled into it by some silver-tongued preacher, or some razzle-dazzle event at which they were saved. They resisted, then asked questions, did some study, and somehow received some insight, and responded.

Some converts are striking because, even tho they risked some alienation of family and friends, they still went ahead for example, John Henry Newman.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Dec 7, '09, 2:42 pm
Karmartia Karmartia is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2009
Posts: 169
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster7 View Post
Mary Karr, author, wrote recently published memoir, "Lit" re struggles with alcohol and toward the end mentions her conversion. Also wrote book of poetry, "Sinners Welcome."

What is strikes me re some converts is that they often arrived at the point largely on their own (with the help of Holy Spirit of course!). They weren't hornswaggled into it by some silver-tongued preacher, or some razzle-dazzle event at which they were saved. They resisted, then asked questions, did some study, and somehow received some insight, and responded.

Some converts are striking because, even tho they risked some alienation of family and friends, they still went ahead for example, John Henry Newman.
Great point. You know, it's funny, when I began to seriously consider converting, I went to the Parish center and was informed I would have to wait several weeks for the RCIA classes to begin. Classes!? I was expecting a baptism that Sunday!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Dec 7, '09, 3:20 pm
Randy Carson's Avatar
Randy Carson Randy Carson is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: September 22, 2006
Posts: 12,206
Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I am not sure that I have found the premise true - there seem to be a lot of Protestant converts here who have a pretty basic misunderstanding of some Protestant concepts.
Huh?

They were misinformed about Catholicism, and they are still ignorant about Catholicism.

How did I mis-speak?
__________________
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '79
I'm a Catholic. You have questions. Let's get started.

Now reading:
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin (this is a must-read book)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Dec 7, '09, 3:23 pm
Randy Carson's Avatar
Randy Carson Randy Carson is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: September 22, 2006
Posts: 12,206
Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism
Default Re: Famous Converts to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster7 View Post
Mary Karr, author, wrote recently published memoir, "Lit" re struggles with alcohol and toward the end mentions her conversion. Also wrote book of poetry, "Sinners Welcome."

What is strikes me re some converts is that they often arrived at the point largely on their own (with the help of Holy Spirit of course!). They weren't hornswaggled into it by some silver-tongued preacher, or some razzle-dazzle event at which they were saved. They resisted, then asked questions, did some study, and somehow received some insight, and responded.

Some converts are striking because, even tho they risked some alienation of family and friends, they still went ahead for example, John Henry Newman.
The really interesting cases are the ones that set out to prove Catholicism to be wrong...and end up becoming convinced that it is true despite their efforts to resist the evidence.
__________________
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '79
I'm a Catholic. You have questions. Let's get started.

Now reading:
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin (this is a must-read book)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8021Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Roddy1234
4815CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4284Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: johnthebaptist2
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3809SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3358Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3183Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: CountrySteve
3145Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2958For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany
2677Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:20 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.