Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Feb 16, '05, 8:44 pm
Lisa4Catholics Lisa4Catholics is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2004
Posts: 7,441
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics
Default Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

What do you think?I am especially interested to hear non-catholics answer this.I say yes.God Bless
PS After some responses I will reveal the point of the question
__________________
My mommy chihuahua Minnie.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Feb 16, '05, 9:00 pm
Exporter Exporter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 7, 2004
Posts: 2,553
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

"IS it a sin to go against The Ten Commandments"?

This looks like trick question. But is short and straightforward.

1. The phrase "to go against" - what does that mean? You could have said,"to go with", but you didn't.
2. Ten Commandments, no problem here.

I will assume you mean to disobey the Ten Commandments.

If you mean is it acceptable to disobey the Ten Commandments, then I will say "No" you should not disobey the Ten Commandments.

BUT HEY, you asked if it was a SIN to disobey the Ten Commandments. If it is a sin for one of them it is a sin for all of them.

What's the first one? Put no other Gods before me. So if you did put something else before God it would be a sin.

The question has been answered.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Feb 16, '05, 9:10 pm
MaggieOH MaggieOH is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 19, 2004
Posts: 1,628
Religion: Catholic
Thumbs up Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

The ten commands are summarized as two commands:

(1) Love God
(2) Love your neighbour

If you do anything that will hurt your neighbour then you also hurt God.

Maggie
__________________
"All wisdom is from the Lord and it is his own for ever" (Sirach 1:1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Feb 16, '05, 9:11 pm
Lisa4Catholics Lisa4Catholics is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2004
Posts: 7,441
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exporter
"IS it a sin to go against The Ten Commandments"?

This looks like trick question. But is short and straightforward.

1. The phrase "to go against" - what does that mean? You could have said,"to go with", but you didn't.
2. Ten Commandments, no problem here.

I will assume you mean to disobey the Ten Commandments.

If you mean is it acceptable to disobey the Ten Commandments, then I will say "No" you should not disobey the Ten Commandments.

BUT HEY, you asked if it was a SIN to disobey the Ten Commandments. If it is a sin for one of them it is a sin for all of them.

What's the first one? Put no other Gods before me. So if you did put something else before God it would be a sin.

The question has been answered.
Hello Exporter,there is a method to my questioning I will PM you God Bless
__________________
My mommy chihuahua Minnie.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Feb 17, '05, 10:03 am
SPOKENWORD SPOKENWORD is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 2,389
Religion: non denominational
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa4Catholics
What do you think?I am especially interested to hear non-catholics answer this.I say yes.God Bless
PS After some responses I will reveal the point of the question
Hi Lisa, The Ten commandments are the standard by which God will judge all. Many people believe they are getting into heaven because they are good when the truth of the matter is they have broken just about every commandment there is.Not one will get in who has broken one of them. Praise be to God there is one that came to pay the debt for our sins. Its only through repentance and recieving Jesus as Lord can one enter in.Catholic or non catholic we all break the commandments of God. How many christians for example out there are working on Sundays or doing unnecessary work on Sundays. Arent we breaking Gods commandments knowing that it is sin? Yet we continue.We are all guilty of breaking Gods Law. God Bless
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Feb 18, '05, 12:41 am
MaggieOH MaggieOH is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 19, 2004
Posts: 1,628
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKENWORD
Hi Lisa, The Ten commandments are the standard by which God will judge all. Many people believe they are getting into heaven because they are good when the truth of the matter is they have broken just about every commandment there is.Not one will get in who has broken one of them. Praise be to God there is one that came to pay the debt for our sins. Its only through repentance and recieving Jesus as Lord can one enter in.Catholic or non catholic we all break the commandments of God. How many christians for example out there are working on Sundays or doing unnecessary work on Sundays. Arent we breaking Gods commandments knowing that it is sin? Yet we continue.We are all guilty of breaking Gods Law. God Bless
what about buying a cup of coffee on Sunday whilst with friends? Is that also a sin?

Personally, I do not do paid work on a Sunday, but I do shop sometimes.

Maggie
__________________
"All wisdom is from the Lord and it is his own for ever" (Sirach 1:1)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Feb 18, '05, 8:00 am
AnAtheist AnAtheist is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 14, 2004
Posts: 1,557
Religion: ./.
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

My 2cents:

In terms of definition: Yes. (sin := acting against God's will; 10cc == God's will)

In terms of philosophy: No. (There is no God, hence sin is a meaningless term.)

In terms of politics: Depends. Except the first 3 to 4 (depends on the counting), they are pretty much ok (and pretty much common sense btw). Everybody should have as many gods as he wants (0 in my case); and everybody should be allowed to worship those gods in any way they like; and everybody should be allowed to work whenever it pleases him.
__________________
barbarus hic ergo sum, quia non intellegor ulli
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Feb 18, '05, 8:19 am
EENS EENS is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 17, 2004
Posts: 273
Religion: The One True Church of Christ, Roman Catholic Church
Send a message via AIM to EENS
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieOH
what about buying a cup of coffee on Sunday whilst with friends? Is that also a sin?

Personally, I do not do paid work on a Sunday, but I do shop sometimes.

Maggie
Buying food is not a sin, since it is necessary to eat. Someone has to do the work of preparing the food (be it you or someone else), so the work is necessary. Some may say that you could make the food on Saturday and put it in the fridge, but this above and beyond natural means, so it is not considered a sin to not do this (of course, they couldn't just put Sunday's meals in the fridge on Saturday when the Commandments were given by God). As far as shopping on Sunday, that IS unnecessary work both on your part and on the part of the store. Those working in the store are doing unnecessary work (as it is not necessary to sell on Sunday--and the Church especially forbids doing business on Sunday, even if it is not servile work). You are not only supporting them in committing the mortal sin of unnecessary work on Sunday by shopping, but you also commit the sin of unnecessary work by performing the act of shopping. Mostly everything that people do nowadays on Sunday is unnecessary work. Take, for example, how people do not even think in turning on the TV on Sunday. But in order for the TV to operate, it is necessary for people to be working. For example, football--the broadcasters are on there, doing their job, which is completely unnecessary. Many Catholics turn on the TV and watch nonetheless. And just about any programming does likewise. Even cartoons have to have someone at the TV station monitoring all of the programs to make sure they run properly. How lukewarm Catholics are today and brush this off as if it does not concern them!

To answer a certain objection that often comes up (but is very illogical), people will say: well, Priests work on Sunday! It must be OK. That is ridiculous. Mass on Sunday is a necessary work. And also doing the corporal works of mercy, these are necessary works. They can be done on Sunday. It is lawful to help the elderly in their homes, of course. Otherwise, they would not be able to function. One must use common sense in this matter. What is unnecessary always, however, is someone who is working in order to help someone else simply do recreation (e.g. broadcasters, video rental stores, any retail store, etc.).

God bless
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Feb 18, '05, 8:38 am
SPOKENWORD SPOKENWORD is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 2,389
Religion: non denominational
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EENS
Buying food is not a sin, since it is necessary to eat. Someone has to do the work of preparing the food (be it you or someone else), so the work is necessary. Some may say that you could make the food on Saturday and put it in the fridge, but this above and beyond natural means, so it is not considered a sin to not do this (of course, they couldn't just put Sunday's meals in the fridge on Saturday when the Commandments were given by God). As far as shopping on Sunday, that IS unnecessary work both on your part and on the part of the store. Those working in the store are doing unnecessary work (as it is not necessary to sell on Sunday--and the Church especially forbids doing business on Sunday, even if it is not servile work). You are not only supporting them in committing the mortal sin of unnecessary work on Sunday by shopping, but you also commit the sin of unnecessary work by performing the act of shopping. Mostly everything that people do nowadays on Sunday is unnecessary work. Take, for example, how people do not even think in turning on the TV on Sunday. But in order for the TV to operate, it is necessary for people to be working. For example, football--the broadcasters are on there, doing their job, which is completely unnecessary. Many Catholics turn on the TV and watch nonetheless. And just about any programming does likewise. Even cartoons have to have someone at the TV station monitoring all of the programs to make sure they run properly. How lukewarm Catholics are today and brush this off as if it does not concern them!

To answer a certain objection that often comes up (but is very illogical), people will say: well, Priests work on Sunday! It must be OK. That is ridiculous. Mass on Sunday is a necessary work. And also doing the corporal works of mercy, these are necessary works. They can be done on Sunday. It is lawful to help the elderly in their homes, of course. Otherwise, they would not be able to function. One must use common sense in this matter. What is unnecessary always, however, is someone who is working in order to help someone else simply do recreation (e.g. broadcasters, video rental stores, any retail store, etc.).

God bless
HI EENS I,m in agreement with your comments.Years ago the states had blue laws,which prohibited anyone from doing business on Sundays. This was a great law because we were able to obey the holy day. It was time spent with familys and worshipping God.Today many of us have made money our god and have forgotten about obeying God. Jesus did not come to change the law but to fulfill it.Jesus said if you love me you will obey me and that includes the 10 commandments I,m sure you wont see many replys to this question because many of us are guilty of breaking the laws of God. .God Bless
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Feb 18, '05, 1:19 pm
Exporter Exporter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 7, 2004
Posts: 2,553
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Is it a sin to go against the Ten Commandments?

"A sin" is singular - it means ONE (1).

TEN commandments is 10 (ten) NOT singular!!!

So is it "a sin" to go against "TEN" commamdments?

This question cannot be answered. It's like you say are you commiting "A CRIME" if you kill some one, steal a car, do arson and marry 5 women all in the same week.

The questions needs fixingg in order to get an answer.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Feb 18, '05, 1:25 pm
Lisa4Catholics Lisa4Catholics is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2004
Posts: 7,441
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

So we all agree that to break on of the commandments would be a sin Okay,then according to some here Jesus committed a sin I don't believe it! Can anyone guess which commandment they are accusing him of breaking?
__________________
My mommy chihuahua Minnie.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Feb 18, '05, 1:51 pm
JimG JimG is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 23, 2004
Posts: 23,182
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Jesus was often accused of breaking the Sabbath observance, for example by healing on the Sabbath. That was, of course, not the fault of the 10 Commandments, but of an overly literal interpretation of them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Feb 19, '05, 8:25 am
SPOKENWORD SPOKENWORD is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 2,389
Religion: non denominational
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exporter
Is it a sin to go against the Ten Commandments?

"A sin" is singular - it means ONE (1).

TEN commandments is 10 (ten) NOT singular!!!

So is it "a sin" to go against "TEN" commamdments?

This question cannot be answered. It's like you say are you commiting "A CRIME" if you kill some one, steal a car, do arson and marry 5 women all in the same week.

The questions needs fixingg in order to get an answer.
Hi Exporter, If you break one,in Gods eyes you are guilty of breaking them all. God Bless
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Feb 19, '05, 9:07 am
chevalier's Avatar
chevalier chevalier is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: February 16, 2005
Posts: 10,928
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

We are going to dive into the "go against" phrase as has been suggested. Indeed, we can say that to go against doesn't necessarily mean to violate the letter of them.

Next, if you don't willingly and consciously violate a commandment but still perform an act which is not consistent with the order of a commandment, is it really going against the commandments? Is it actually inconsistent with them?

The commandments have an appearance of a law. That's why there are no phrases like "thou shalt not willingly and wittingly commit...", or "or whichsoever act that may lead to this result".

It can safely be understood that someone who kills an assailant in defence of his life or virtue or whatever high-ranking right, doesn't really kill, as it is suggested that someone who steals a loaf of bread to feed his hungry children doesn't really steal.

A reasonable civil judge will take into consideration all the circumstances of an action, all mitigating circumstances, everything what the defence says. Is God not a reasonable judge? He's more than that; He's a judge which needs no defence lawyers, no prosecution. In fact, He needs no scrutiny and no testimony whatsoever, nor does He actually need a law to know justice because He actually is justice. Why would He then add a ton of general clauses to His commandments? For the sake of man, obviously, as the commandments and all God's laws revealed to man are for the sake of man, not God. But circumstance breeds circumstance and clause breeds clause. They multiply infinitely, whereas God's justice is pretty much absolute.

This way, if someone attacks you and you have to inflict suffering to him, you are not going against the fifth. If someone uses force and you can't resist, you are not going against the sixth. If you lie to mislead thugs chasing an innocent fugitive, you are not bearing false witness against your fellow man and are not going against the eighth. If you lie in bed sick on Sunday, you are not going against the third. If you tell your father he shouldn't get a date with the neighbour's wife, you aren't going against the fourth. If you reclaim by force what was stolen from you, you aren't going against the sixth. If you like a necklace so much that you won't to buy it to your wife so soon as you get enough money, you aren't going against the tenth. If you can't assess the danger and call God for help and then it shows there was no danger, you aren't going against the second.

It's not against the commandment, as it in no way challenges the commandment itself. In this sense, it may be consistent with the commandment. Also, in this sense, those who are forgetful, don't so much go against a commandment as they fail to meet its requirement - they aren't challenging it.

But if you freely, willingly and consciously choose to do wrong rather than good, then you sin. Even if it doesn't immediately appear to be inconsistent with a commandment - after all, all sins are against a commandment and therefore the ten commandments, they only differ in degree of removedness from the literal rule of the commandments.

Even in the secular laws - take a charter of human rights, be it an international convention or a constitution chapter - and then a country's criminal laws. Whatever is forbidden there will in some way be an infringement of one of those very basic rights of your fellow man or all of them, except ceremonial rules which Jesus doesn't tie with the commandments and Paul tells us not to overrate. Even unjust regulations are some twisted understanding of the basic rules - for example, if it's forbidden for a Catholic priest to say the rosary in front of an abortion clinic, it is believed by the court to be protecting the basic rights of someone else. Even those oppressive unjust communist public safety rules are believed to be for the sake of the country as a community and a universum of individuals with rights. It's just a twisted understanding. God's understanding can't be twisted. If at all, the commandments may be a humanly limited rendition of God's justice which is too perfect to be contained in the words of the languages of mortals.

Uff... sorry for the rant, or rather the length of it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Feb 19, '05, 10:41 pm
rom323 rom323 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 18, 2005
Posts: 78
Religion: christian
Default Re: Is it a sin to go against the ten commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibleReader
It depends.

Even the Bible does not interpret the Ten Commandments simplistically...

13 "You shall not kill." Exodus 20:13.

1 There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for every affair under the heavens... 3 A time to kill,... Ecclesiastes 3:1-3.
In Exodus 20:13 the Hebrew for this verb is actually murder. It refers to a premeditated and deliberate act of taking innocent life.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 10 Commandments are not sufficient anymore chrisg93 Spirituality 20 Jul 18, '04 10:10 pm



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8570Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5243CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3903Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3878SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3472Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3322Poems and Reflections
Last by: Purgatory Pete
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3172For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SueZee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.