Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 7, '09, 12:08 am

Religion: Catholic
Thumbs down The song “Mary Did You Know” is heretical.

Many Catholics are not aware of the fact that the song “Mary Did You Know”, is heretical.

“Mary Did You Know” is a very popular song with many Catholics. Many, however, are not aware that the song in heretical and should not be performed in Catholic venues. Below is a critique of this song by two orthodox priests.

Fr. M. Wrote:

Your suspicions regarding "Mary, Did You Know?" are correct. The very title of the song is misleading. We need to remember some of the effects of Mary's Immaculate Conception. One effect was that she received the same gifts that Adam and Eve had before the Fall. One set of gifts Adam and Eve had are the preternatural gifts, of which there were 3 kinds. The one of most interest to this discussion is infused knowledge. Infused knowledge is a special knowledge of the providence of God. It is the ability to see in the natural the supernatural of what God is doing. Mary saw the supernatural ramifications of all that Jesus said and did. Recall that Luke tells us that Mary "pondered all these things in her heart."

Also, Mary was "full of grace" from the moment of her conception. Her will was completely united to the will of God at all times. She experienced throughout her life the "transforming union", the pinnacle of the spiritual life possible here one earth. Souls in that state of union have a much greater knowledge and love of God, the spiritual writers teach us. Plus, Mary knew the Hebrew Scriptures intimately. So she knew that Jesus was the Incarnate Word of God (Lk. 1) as well as the Suffering Servant of Yahweh (Is 52-53). She also knew from Simeon's words that she would suffer with Him. Conclusion: she knew a lot more than is implied by the song "Mary, Did You Know?". Please do not include that song in your repertoire. Hope all this helps.

Fr. A, Wrote:

You hit the nail on the head re: the lyrics of the song. My concerns are the same as yours. The song is an appeal to the mystery surrounding the Incarnation and Nativity. That's fine, as far as it goes. The lyrics, however, leave the door open to erroneous and heretical opinions, thanks to their ambiguity. I would avoid performing or promoting the song for that reason.
Old Dec 7, '09, 2:26 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: The song “Mary Did You Know” is heretical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stccp View Post
Many Catholics are not aware of the fact that the song “Mary Did You Know”, is heretical.

“Mary Did You Know” is a very popular song with many Catholics. Many, however, are not aware that the song in heretical and should not be performed in Catholic venues. Below is a critique of this song by two orthodox priests.

Fr. M. Wrote:

Your suspicions regarding "Mary, Did You Know?" are correct. The very title of the song is misleading. We need to remember some of the effects of Mary's Immaculate Conception. One effect was that she received the same gifts that Adam and Eve had before the Fall. One set of gifts Adam and Eve had are the preternatural gifts, of which there were 3 kinds. The one of most interest to this discussion is infused knowledge. Infused knowledge is a special knowledge of the providence of God. It is the ability to see in the natural the supernatural of what God is doing. Mary saw the supernatural ramifications of all that Jesus said and did. Recall that Luke tells us that Mary "pondered all these things in her heart."

Also, Mary was "full of grace" from the moment of her conception. Her will was completely united to the will of God at all times. She experienced throughout her life the "transforming union", the pinnacle of the spiritual life possible here one earth. Souls in that state of union have a much greater knowledge and love of God, the spiritual writers teach us. Plus, Mary knew the Hebrew Scriptures intimately. So she knew that Jesus was the Incarnate Word of God (Lk. 1) as well as the Suffering Servant of Yahweh (Is 52-53). She also knew from Simeon's words that she would suffer with Him. Conclusion: she knew a lot more than is implied by the song "Mary, Did You Know?". Please do not include that song in your repertoire. Hope all this helps.

Fr. A, Wrote:

You hit the nail on the head re: the lyrics of the song. My concerns are the same as yours. The song is an appeal to the mystery surrounding the Incarnation and Nativity. That's fine, as far as it goes. The lyrics, however, leave the door open to erroneous and heretical opinions, thanks to their ambiguity. I would avoid performing or promoting the song for that reason.

I have never heard of the song you mention and you did not show us the lyrics.
However, the two priests you quoted did NOT say the lyrics were heretical. Read the quoted comments you posted again and tell us where they say the song is heretical.
Old Dec 7, '09, 5:45 am

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/claya...idyouknow.html

Above are the lyrics.

Love the line where she's asked if she knew when she kissed Him, she was kissing the face of God.

IMO, Mary is being asked a series of questions. What is needed is the second part of the song where Mary answers....."Yes, I did Know."

Mary's knowing is what makes her so very special. Because she knew He would be crucified.
Old Dec 7, '09, 6:10 am

How could it be heretical to ask a question, without providing an answer?

Mercy Street: A Prodigal Blog
Stumbling toward a loving, Christian response to homosexuality
Old Dec 7, '09, 6:11 am

Religion: catholic

For Heaven's sake it's a stinkin' song-not a theological thesis.Song-poetry.? Poetic license ?
Old Dec 7, '09, 7:20 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliamajor View Post
For Heaven's sake it's a stinkin' song-not a theological thesis.Song-poetry.? Poetic license ?
Old Dec 7, '09, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
I have never heard of the song you mention and you did not show us the lyrics.
However, the two priests you quoted did NOT say the lyrics were heretical. Read the quoted comments you posted again and tell us where they say the song is heretical.
Fr. A, Wrote:

"You hit the nail on the head re: the lyrics of the song. My concerns are the same as yours. The song is an appeal to the mystery surrounding the Incarnation and Nativity. That's fine, as far as it goes. The lyrics, however, leave the door open to erroneous and heretical opinions, thanks to their ambiguity. I would avoid performing or promoting the song for that reason".

Perhaps I should have said the song is theologically inaccurate. In any case, both priests reccomended that the song not be performed in Catholic venues.
Old Dec 7, '09, 9:17 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Epistemes Send a message via MSN to Epistemes

I like the song. Whenever I hear it, it gives me reason to pause and reflect. If it does the same for others during this season of increasing contention, then 'bah' to "Catholic venues."
Old Dec 7, '09, 9:31 am

Quote:
Perhaps I should have said the song is theologically inaccurate. In any case, both priests reccomended that the song not be performed in Catholic venues.
How can a question be inaccurate?

Mercy Street: A Prodigal Blog
Stumbling toward a loving, Christian response to homosexuality
Old Dec 7, '09, 10:02 am

In reply to THISTLE

Fr. A, Wrote:

"You hit the nail on the head re: the lyrics of the song. My concerns are the same as yours. The song is an appeal to the mystery surrounding the Incarnation and Nativity. That's fine, as far as it goes. The lyrics, however, leave the door open to erroneous and heretical opinions, thanks to their ambiguity. I would avoid performing or promoting the song for that reason".

Perhaps I should have said the song is theologically inaccurate. In any case, both priests recommended that the song not be performed in Catholic venues. Do you disagree with what they said?

Even though the song may have been written only for entertainment, it still can send a message to the audience and be confusing to the uninformed. From a Catholic songwriting point of view, the lyrics of a song should never be confusing about matters of doctrine or Church teachings. In whatever form of expression, music, poetry, essays or everyday speech, our actions or example, etc, we should always try to lead people to Christ, not away from Him. We should always be cautious about statements concerning Church teachings, when those statements come from secular sources, especially if they are disguised in the form of an innocent sounding song.
Old Dec 7, '09, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal_Son View Post
How could it be heretical to ask a question, without providing an answer?
Even though no answer is given, asking a question is a good way to put doubt into the mind of the listener.
Old Dec 7, '09, 10:07 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

I always want to scream "YES"
Old Dec 7, '09, 10:12 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Even though no answer is given, asking a question is a good way to put doubt into the mind of the listener.
Doubt about what?

Doubt about all the affirming qualities of the Incarnation?
Old Dec 7, '09, 10:18 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Exactly, how many people here would be defending a hymn that asked questions such as

"Did you know that blacks are inferior"

or "Did you know that gays should be beaten"

Sure, both of those go against Catholic teaching, but if the correct answer isn't provided, would that make the question OK?

What would be the purpose in asking such clearly erronous propositions?

If we looked at those lyrics, even though we all should know that correct, Catholic, answers to those questions, would anyone consider the lyrics to be an accurate reflection of Catholic teaching?

Would anyone chalk it up to poetic license?
Old Dec 7, '09, 10:44 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Exactly, how many people here would be defending a hymn that asked questions such as

"Did you know that blacks are inferior"

or "Did you know that gays should be beaten"

Sure, both of those go against Catholic teaching, but if the correct answer isn't provided, would that make the question OK?

What would be the purpose in asking such clearly erronous propositions?

If we looked at those lyrics, even though we all should know that correct, Catholic, answers to those questions, would anyone consider the lyrics to be an accurate reflection of Catholic teaching?

Would anyone chalk it up to poetic license?
Even if Mary's answer to these questions was "Wow, I didn't know that!" or "That's really neat! I'm glad I learned something today!" the very nature of the questions are affirmative of the Incarnation and what that signifies for all of humanity, including Mary. The last time I checked my catechism, it was the Incarnation we celebrate this time of year, the coming of the Great King, or as the song says, "heaven's perfect Lamb."

While I'll grant that the song does throw up a red flag concerning the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, it at least doesn't explicitly deny Mary's role as Theotokos, which, at last observation, is coming under fire more and more frequently by Protestants, academics and other secular-minded people.

Listen to Gregorian Chant this Christmas if you want, but I'm at least glad that Our Blessed Mother is getting some exposure on national airwaves even if it's not up to par with the Catechism -- but what is anymore?

This thread seems like a big case of "Get over yourself."
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality