Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 12, '09, 5:09 pm

Religion: Christian
Default Catholicism for Dummies or The Idiots Guide...Which is the better book?

Thanks for answering. I'm asking because I just began reading Dummies and I've already read some stuff out off Idiots and the books seem quite different in what they are saying. I mean really different as in one of them doesn't sound quite like the things that I've learned about Catholicism as of yet.
Old Dec 12, '09, 5:39 pm

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005
Default Re: Catholicism for Dummies or The Idiots Guide...Which is the better book?

I don't know anything about the Idiots book, but the content of the Dummies book is very reliable. It was part of my reading when I was crossing the Tiber, and it was very helpful.

DaveBj
Old Dec 12, '09, 5:42 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholicism for Dummies or The Idiots Guide...Which is the better book?

Dummies is much more reliable. RUN from the Idiot's one. (I have the Dummies one that I picked up for a friend for Christmas.)

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Dec 12, '09, 5:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Apryl Send a message via AIM to Apryl Send a message via Yahoo to Apryl Send a message via Skype™ to Apryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malia Belen View Post
Thanks for answering. I'm asking because I just began reading Dummies and I've already read some stuff out off Idiots and the books seem quite different in what they are saying. I mean really different as in one of them doesn't sound quite like the things that I've learned about Catholicism as of yet.
Maybe this isn't the direction you were hoping to go: but who are you talking to in person? A parish priest? A DRE? Who is helping you with your conversion and training?

Ask that person which they find to be better, and when there are items that don't seem to be the same, ask them for explanation. ... sometimes, it's two different ways to look at the same thing, some times, the author is just incorrect. It's important to know which you are dealing with.

Apryl

"The Church is a training ground for Saints and a hospital for sinners. There is room -- and there is hope -- in this Church for a sinner like me." – Anonymous
Old Dec 12, '09, 5:54 pm

I must agree with those above. The Idiot's book is terrible, useless for anyone who really wants to learn about Catholicism. It's ideological, and the Catholic-in-name-only / cultural Catholics / cafeteria Catholics prefer it.

The Dummies book is co-authored by Fr. Trigillio, a trustworthy priest of the D. of Harrisburg. It is excellent, solid, reliable
Old Dec 12, '09, 5:59 pm

Agreed with the others. My husband and I bought the Idiot's Guide prior to starting RCIA... TERRIBLE book. For example, it says that a priest can give you permission to contracept if he thinks your circumstances are grave enough.

The Dummies book is much, much better.
Blogger at Catholic Stand
Old Dec 12, '09, 6:20 pm

I bought the Idiot's Guide to Understanding Catholicism a few years back and was immediately troubled by some of the information. I now also own a copy of Catholicism for Dummies and love it.

Here is the real distinction between the two books in my humble opinion. The Catholicism for Dummies book has the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur official declarations. The Idiot's Guide to Understanding Catholicism does not have those official declarations.

I'll keep reading the Catholicism for Dummies book.
Old Dec 12, '09, 6:33 pm

And if you take Apryl's advice and the person you're working with prefers the Idiots' book, find someone else to work with!

Dummies is the most reliable, by far.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Dec 12, '09, 6:37 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pence View Post
I bought the Idiot's Guide to Understanding Catholicism a few years back and was immediately troubled by some of the information. I now also own a copy of Catholicism for Dummies and love it.

Here is the real distinction between the two books in my humble opinion. The Catholicism for Dummies book has the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur official declarations. The Idiot's Guide to Understanding Catholicism does not have those official declarations.

I'll keep reading the Catholicism for Dummies book.
Yep. Asking which one is best is a bit like asking who's the better musician out of Mozart and Britney Spears. If you even have to ask the question ...

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Dec 12, '09, 7:11 pm

Send a message via ICQ to Apryl Send a message via AIM to Apryl Send a message via Yahoo to Apryl Send a message via Skype™ to Apryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
And if you take Apryl's advice and the person you're working with prefers the Idiots' book, find someone else to work with!
Ok, yeah... but.....

Alright, it wasn't a well thought out response. I was trying, and thinking that most people who are doing RCIA are working with some one....

I wasn't thinking about that person being an idiot... and I should know better: I'm far too well aware that there are evil forces within The Church who would have you think it's ok to not be really Catholic to call yourself Catholic.

... Mea Culpa?

(Did I say that right? I wasn't around for Latin Masses)

Apryl

"The Church is a training ground for Saints and a hospital for sinners. There is room -- and there is hope -- in this Church for a sinner like me." – Anonymous
Old Dec 12, '09, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apryl View Post
... Mea Culpa?

(Did I say that right? I wasn't around for Latin Masses)
Just right!

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Dec 13, '09, 1:08 am

I will concur with everyone on this thread.

Catholicism for Dummies is an entertaining, engaging read. It's surprisingly thorough, but written at a fairly easy to understand level. It is also completely faithful to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

The Idiot's Guide to Catholicism may be one of the most universally panned books on this forum! It is written with a VERY liberal bias, contains a couple of serious factual errors, and borders on heretical in several places. This is a book about what liberals would *like* the Catholic Church to become, or mistakenly believe it already teaches, but it is indeed mistaken. Avoid this book like the plague!
Old Dec 14, '09, 9:52 am

Religion: Christian

Thanks everyone for your replies. I knew sometimes sounded really strange about Idiot's but I didn't want to say anything bad about it in case the writer was right. I'm currently reading Catholicism for Dummies right now.

Someone mentioned talking to someone at RCIA but I'm not in the program because I don't have a way to get there and also because I thought RCIA didn't start again until the fall or is it a year round thing?
Old Dec 14, '09, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malia Belen View Post
Someone mentioned talking to someone at RCIA but I'm not in the program because I don't have a way to get there and also because I thought RCIA didn't start again until the fall or is it a year round thing?
That was me. I wasn't thinking about the calendar.

But perhaps you could contact the Director of Religious Education of your parish, or someone in the Diocene office... whoever that may be.

Apryl

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism