Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 18, '09, 4:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic, traditionalist, faithful to the Magisterium
Default Converting to Another Faith

When a Christian converts to another faith, such a Islam, Judaism, etc., in effect he/she is rejecting Christ. In your opinion, is salvation still possible for that person, or has that person condemned him/her self to hell, or...?

PAX DOMINI

Shalom Aleichem
Old Dec 18, '09, 4:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Converting to Another Faith

only God knows, but it's very dangerous for their soul. Rejection of Christ leads to damnation..

maybe it depends on the amount of invinsible ignorance this person had

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Dec 18, '09, 5:54 pm

Javl,

It depends upon their level of understanding about Jesus Christ. I was introduced to Christ by my public school teacher at the age of 7. I spent the next 25 years investigating Christian teachings (on and off) on my own time. I didn't even know I needed to be baptized (some Christians told me it wasn't necessary). I didn't even belong to a Church. I thought I understood EVERYTHING I needed to call myself a Christian. Then I discovered another religion (Bahai Faith) and got caught up in it for a few years. Gradually, I began to realize that the followers of this religion were MISSING something... it was the LOVE of a PERSONAL, KNOWABLE God. They didn't have Jesus. They SAID they knew him, but they didn't really. So I turned and ran. I ran into a Christian church and made sure I received Baptism. I spent the next 10 years growing in my knowledge of the Lord and His Church. I then found myself in RCIA learning about the hidden treasure of His ONE Church. Soon I was a Confirmed Catholic... and there's NO turning back. There's nowhere else to go! "Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God." - John 6:68-69 Christianity is a one-way trip. The further you have travelled upon that road before abandoning Christ, the harder it will be for you on the Day of Judgment. Poor Judas.
Old Dec 18, '09, 6:10 pm

Not having the ability to see the state of someone else's soul, like St. Padre Pio and others, I can't say that I know what the state of the person's soul and understanding of Christ was prior to a conversion. I also don't know if they were compelled to convert. We also don't know if they were Chrsitian in name, (and assuming) baptism only, and not instructed in the faith, so easily persuaded that a false teaching is true.

If they are baptized, they remain so, even if they convert to a non-chrisitan religion. If they do convert due to ignorance, that would influence a theoretical answer. However it still is not ours to make the judgement. It would be more fruitful to pray for their souls, and if at all possible evangelize them through our Loving actions and example.
Old Dec 18, '09, 8:44 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Smile Re: Converting to Another Faith

http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?ti...the_Assumption
http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?ti...Hippo%2C_Saint
First go to the source of the Catholic religion and experience the truth from God revealed to Saint Augustine.
Old Dec 18, '09, 8:44 pm

Religion: Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javl View Post
When a Christian converts to another faith, such a Islam, Judaism, etc., in effect he/she is rejecting Christ. In your opinion, is salvation still possible for that person, or has that person condemned him/her self to hell, or...?

PAX DOMINI

Shalom Aleichem
I became a Baha'i at age 19, and remained in the Baha'i Faith for about 30 years, though the last 4 or so were part of a period of intense questioning. As a Baha'i, I had a belief about Christ that is respectful, but different from that taught by Christianity from its inception. I think that had I been more knowledgeable about Christianity, I may not have become a Baha'i. I really thought that Baha'u'llah was the return of Christ, so though I was not a Christian, I had not really rejected Christ. Of course, I had rejected the central tenants of Christianity, especially the redemption of mankind at Calvary.

It is only since returning to the Episcopal Church that I have become profoundly moved by the grandeur and majesty of Christ, and that His sacrifice on the cross is the reason for all creation.

I suppose someone who becomes a Muslim would also say that Jesus is among the messengers of God that preceded Muhammad, and there are interesting stories of him in the Qur'an, so being a Muslim isn't exactly rejecting Christ, though it is rejecting His unique redemption of mankind.

However becoming Jewish, Buddhist or Hindu leaves no place for Jesus at all.
Old Dec 18, '09, 8:49 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Cool Re: Converting to Another Faith

How I understand it is that if you do know of Jesus and reject his teachings and refuse to beleive in the resurrection of the dead , Jesus will reject you at the time of your death and it could be hell for you.
If not hell, you will not be in the Beautific Vision of God. Heaven is the Beautific Vision and anything else is like purgatory or limbo; if you are really a rotten person, then, hell!
Old Dec 18, '09, 9:11 pm

Quote:

PAX DOMINI

Shalom Aleichem
They are apostates. Salvation is not possible.
Old Dec 18, '09, 10:04 pm

Religion: Reformed Baptist

One could say I went from Christianity to Islam and back to Christianity - so certainly, there's hope for people.

My humble blog
Old Dec 18, '09, 10:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
only God knows, but it's very dangerous for their soul. Rejection of Christ leads to damnation..

maybe it depends on the amount of invinsible ignorance this person had
Maybe rejection of Vishnu is dangerous for your soul. A little food for thought.
Old Dec 19, '09, 12:20 am

Religion: Orthodox

If one leaves the faith without truly knowing God - which is quite possible, then don't think they bare the burden of having rejected Christ.
Old Dec 19, '09, 1:50 am

Quote:

PAX DOMINI

Shalom Aleichem
Javi, I feel even Judas would have been forgiven if he had repented. But he committed a serious crime of suicide.

Its true that many have converted to other faiths, betraying the sacrifice Jesus did for mankind, and if they dont repent for their errors, than I dont think they will have forgiveness.

When John the Baptist came, he said, Repent, and only that can save them.
Old Dec 19, '09, 7:16 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic, traditionalist, faithful to the Magisterium

Thank you all for your informative and interesting answers and comments. They are all duly noted. My thoughts are they will be saved only by repentance and accepting Jesus Christ, for He will forgive the most grievous of sins. If they remain steadfast in their denial/rejection, then there will be no hope for them. They condemn themselves.

PAX DOMINI

Shalom Aleichem
Old Dec 19, '09, 7:50 am
Banned

Religion: classical Anglican

None of us see God, or Christ, clearly. We can only follow the Truth we can perceive, and it is not always hard to be mistaken.

God sees in our hearts, and knows our intentions, even when we don't know them ourselves. I know he is perfectly just and perfectly compassionate.
Old Dec 19, '09, 10:30 am
Banned

Religion: Lutheran

Anytime anyone "converts" REQUIRES that they affirm that human teachers (persons, congregations, denominations - any "voice") is accountable and should be regarded as NOT infallible or incapable of error, and should NOT be accepted "with docility" as the voice of Jesus (compare with CCC # 87). Not only so, but they MUST affirm that teachers are not only accountable but that they are arbiters (if not exclusively) so as to whether that teacher is correct or not ("teacher" here can be Oral Roberts, The Catholic Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Martin Luther, The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Church, The Rock Church of San Diego, Billy Graham, Pope Benedict, Brigham Young - or any other).

If one embraces that - but then denies that, they they must conclude that what lead them to that church (the above embrace of accountability and arbitration, the rejection of infallibility and accepting with docility) was flawed and thus their conclusion must also be flawed. It is a contradiction and illogical to say, "I accepted my teacher as accountable and arbitrated his/her/its' teachings and that lead me to accept that my teacher (CC, LDS, whatever) is unaccountable, infallible, and must be accepted with docility." If one regards such teachers as accountable, they must accept teachers as accountable - and reject claims of infalliblity and demands to accept whatever such teaches "with docility."

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions