Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 25, '09, 10:49 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Help - Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkcatholic View Post
My advice (based on how I became familiar with the Liturgy of the Hours)

1. get really familiar with the ordinary, so you know how each hour flows. That way you won't have to ask, "wait what's next?" Instead you'll be able to say, "okay, next is the Magnificat ... it's a memorial, so let me get the antiphon from the proper if it's there, otherwise the common or weekday."

2. Besides knowing each hour's structure, get used to the differences between weekdays, memorials, feasts and solemnities. E.g., memorials are usually everything from the weekday except what's in the proper of saints (sometimes just the concluding prayer, or the antiphons for the gospel canticles). For the most important solemnities (e.g. Christmas) pretty much everything will come from the proper of saints or seasons

When you get used to the flow of each hour and how each celebration takes more particular prayers (and less of the weekday's general prayers) the more solemn it is, this will all get easier and easier.
Old Dec 25, '09, 11:11 am

I use the Christian Prayer book for the Liturgy of the Hours and use a guide from
the Leaflet Missal company of Saint Paul , Minn., number 06542. I no lomger
use the hymns for personal reasons. I assign certain hours to certain hours
of the day. If I am busy during those certain hours, I do not say those
prayers. For example, I went to the nursing home as a volunteer to have
lunch on this Christmas Day as an act of perfect charity and did not say the
Office Readings.
John Romanoski
Old Dec 25, '09, 11:16 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Help - Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotobo View Post
What about the ribbons? I feel like they are kind of useless being I have the St Joseph Guide.

How do I place these?
In whatever way you find most helpful. Puerly as a suggestion off the top of my head for 5 ribbons:
  • The Proper of Seasons
  • The Psalter
  • The Proper of Saints
  • The Common of Saints
  • The OOR Psalter
And I would suggest a holy card or other bookmark (perhaps the insert with the Te Deum) in the Ordinary, at least until you get used to it.

NB too: If you want to go wild, you can purchase a second set of ribbons -- My CP has an attached supplement of Franciscan Proper Offices, so I use a second 5 ribbons to mark: The Ordinary, Daytime Prayer, Night Prayer, the Hymn section, and the Franciscan Propers.
Quote:
Also another question about the Guide:

[OOR 1867, Rd 1882f & 1955f, TD Pr 146]

At what times of day do I read from these?
Again, the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours (primarily: #59):
Quote:
57. The Constitution on the Liturgy directs that the office of readings, "though
it should retain its character as a night office of praise when celebrated in
choir, shall be adapted so that it may be recited at any hour of the day; it
shall be made up of fewer psalms and longer readings." [11]

58. Those who are obliged by their own particular law and others who commendably
wish to retain the character of this office as a night office of praise (either
by saying it at night or very early in the morning and before morning prayer),
during Ordinary Time choose the hymn from the selection given for this purpose.
Moreover, for Sundays, solemnities, and certain feasts what is said in nos.
70-73 about vigils must be kept in mind.

59. Without prejudice to the regulations just given, the office of readings may
be recited at any hour of the day, even during the night hours of the previous
day, after evening prayer has been said.

60. If the office of readings is said before morning prayer, the invitatory
precedes it, as noted (nos. 34-36). Otherwise it begins with the verse, God,
come to my assistance with the Glory to the Father, As it was in the beginning,
and the Alleluia (omitted in Lent).
tee
Old Dec 25, '09, 1:21 pm

Religion: RCIA....Candidate

I just do this on my own, not at Church or anything. I dont know if that makes a difference.

I really do appreciate all of the input.
Old Dec 26, '09, 10:02 am

Another question...

Do you have to buy a whole new book each year or just a new St. Josephs Guide?
Old Dec 26, '09, 10:29 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Another question...

Do you have to buy a whole new book each year or just a new St. Josephs Guide?
No, just the guide. I use holy cards in addition to the ribbons. Some of the old holy cards have additional prayers on the back that I also use.
Old Jan 2, '10, 9:54 am

That ribbon placement suggestion was extremely helpful!

Little by little this gets easier and easier to follow. Im just loving it. The feeling that there are likely hundreds of thousands, if not millions of others reading and praying what I am praying at the same time is just surreal. We are really just a living breathing body and following the Liturgy of the Hours is just proof of that.

If you dont have one, go get one, seriously. You get such a dose of daily scripture, prayer, song, reflection......on and on......

I have the Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours from Catholic Book Publishing.
Old Feb 17, '10, 6:33 pm

Ok, so Im getting the hang of this now but I was thrown off today. I thought we were in week two but then Proper of Seasons says to read from week four. So, I double checked the St Joseph guide and sure enough it has me reading out of week four....

Now that I dont use that guide anymore I wouldnt have known to switch to week four.

How are you supposed to know there is a sudden change like that?
Old Feb 17, '10, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Ok, so Im getting the hang of this now but I was thrown off today. I thought we were in week two but then Proper of Seasons says to read from week four. So, I double checked the St Joseph guide and sure enough it has me reading out of week four....

Now that I dont use that guide anymore I wouldnt have known to switch to week four.

In my Christian Prayer book, there are some instructions for Ash Wednesday that say Psalter week IV right at the top. But then again.........right below Morning Prayer (Ash Wednesday) it also says to use the stuff from Friday, week 3, page 906. Gee - I don't understand why you don't understand
Old Feb 17, '10, 8:28 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Question Re: Help - Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours

Quote:

In exactly the way you discovered it -- What could be plainer than an instruction in the rubrics???

tee
Old Jan 2, '11, 11:16 pm

Question Re: Help - Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours

OK, I know that this is an older thread, however, I really could use some help...

I received a very nice hardcover edition of "Christian Prayer - The Liturgy of the Hours (pub. Pauline Books & Media, Boston)" as a Christmas present this year from my wife. I wish I could give you a print or edition number for this book; however, no such information is provided in the usual locations. I can however tell you that on page 28, "Principal Celebrations of the Liturgical Year" starts with the year 2008.

My difficulty with this book happens to be with the "Saint Joseph Guide for Christian Prayer (The Liturgy of the Hours) 2001 - No. 406/G." It doesn't seem to match or work with my copy of the "Christian Prayer." I don't remember if this came with my copy of the book, or if it was just wrapped in the present under the tree. :-) If you don't mind, I will refer to this guide as "SJG."

So, by way of example, using today, 1/2/2011, The Epiphany - SJG indicates "Jan 2 - Sun, EPIPHANY (Sol) 211 / MP 211 (707); DP 1027; EP (220) 798; NP 1041 [OOR 1806, Rd 1882f...]. So, the problems start when I try to locate the page given in the SJG.

So for today, 1/2/11, I turn to page indicated for morning prayer - page 211. I am in a morning prayer; however, it is for the "Baptism of the Lord."

To get to the morning prayer for The Epiphany , I need to turn to page 181 in my book. As for the "Office of Readings," the indicated pages are not even close to what I have, my edition stops at page 1758 - and the OOR starts at 1459/1460 in my book; thus the entry for page 1806 is useless.

Please, what am I missing?

I just started praying LOTH since Christmas, I had a Holy Hour Christmas Evening and looked right up at our Lord and asked him to show me how to get started and Father walked in not more than ten minutes after that helped to get me started so I am not totally lost; however, now I am starting to get a tad confused, even with the online guides and I can't take the the computer terminal out to the lunch room at work.

From the table of contents in my edition:
The following sections start on...
("Section" - page)
"Proper of Seasons" - 37
("Solemnities - i.e. Trinity Sunday" - 467)
"Ordinary" - 531
"The Four-Week Psalter" - 547
("Night Prayer" - 1008)
"Proper of Saints" - 1055
"Commons" - 1309
"Office of the Dead" - 1433
"Office of Readings" - 1459
- then there are some other prayers and information starting in page 1734
Old Jan 3, '11, 6:10 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Arrow Re: Help - Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_0101 View Post
I received a very nice hardcover edition of "Christian Prayer - The Liturgy of the Hours (pub. Pauline Books & Media, Boston)" as a Christmas present this year from my wife. ....

My difficulty with this book happens to be with the "Saint Joseph Guide for Christian Prayer (The Liturgy of the Hours) 2001 - No. 406/G." It doesn't seem to match or work with my copy of the "Christian Prayer." I don't remember if this came with my copy of the book, or if it was just wrapped in the present under the tree. :-) If you don't mind, I will refer to this guide as "SJG."
Please, what am I missing?
What you are missing is that the Saint Joseph Guide is published by Catholic Book Publishing as a companion to their edition of Christian Prayer, and will not assist you with your Daughters of St Paul edition. I do not know if Pauline Books publishes a similar guide for their book, but it could not hurt to contact them and ask.

Three pieces of advice in the meantime, in order of importance:
Do not become discouraged -- Many beginners experience difficulty with the Liturgy of the Hours (even an abbreviated form like Christian Prayer). Convince yourself that it is "okay" if you do not get everything perfect on your fist try, and that with practice will come proficiency.

(Though you may be reluctant to hear this one) Perhaps put the book aside until Monday 10-Jan-2011, when Ordinary Time will begin -- These days of Christmastide, and when and whether Epiphany is translated, can compound the confusion for beginners -- There is a lot of page turning. The whole thing will become much simpler come Ordinary Time.

Read and familiarize yourself with the book outside of prayer time -- Read the Ordinary. Read the rubrics (unfortunately, if your edition is like the one I am familiar with, the rubrics are not printed in red, but rather in a smaller black font ) Trying to learn the ropes while you are praying is a mistake, and likely to lead to frustration.

tee
Old Jan 3, '11, 6:37 am

I use a smaller book called "A Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer", which is the Liturgy of the Hours, but only the Morning and Evening Hours, with Night Prayer. Night Prayer is the easiest, as it repeats every 7 days, whilst the other hours go on a 4-week cycle.

I'm going to leave the full Liturgy of the Hours for if I ever enter seminary or religious life and have the time to do so. I might get a chance to do it when I move out to college in a few weeks, as I will now have 4 hours more in my day in which to do things (2 hours each way commute to university took its toll on me).
Old Jan 3, '11, 2:58 pm

I agree with the suggestions made by tee_eff_em above. I have both versions of the book, but unfortunately I loaned my Pauline version to a friend, so I can't direct you to the right pages.

In the Catholic Book Publishing Company version, it was really confusing trying to get lined up for today (Monday, Jan 3, 2011). But I think we are on page 218 (Monday after Epiphany to the Baptism of the Lord) for the readings, etc, and the regular Monday Week 2 for the Psalms and Canticles.

After ordinary time starts, we're back to the regular 4 week cycle, and things will be much easier to follow - especially without a guide.

BTW - for those of you with the CBPC version, the equivalent of the St. Joseph guide is available online at this link.
Old Jan 3, '11, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_eff_em View Post
What you are missing is that the Saint Joseph Guide is published by Catholic Book Publishing as a companion to their edition of Christian Prayer, and will not assist you with your Daughters of St Paul edition. I do not know if Pauline Books publishes a similar guide for their book, but it could not hurt to contact them and ask.

<<<SNIP>>>

tee

I haven't lost my mind!

Thank You for the information... I'll be sending them an email and I think that I have most of the order down now that I've had a chance to really read thru the Ordinary; however, Night-Prayer is by far the easiest to start with.
-Z

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism