Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Dec 20, '09, 4:21 pm
PlipPlop PlipPlop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 28, 2009
Posts: 113
Religion: Spiritual Wanderer
Default Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Hello there! I'm a supporter of the United States becoming a socialist democracy, and having systems such as socialized health care.

Looking over this forum, most (if not all) of the members are strongly anti-socialist. Why?

Note: I do understand that abortion is evil if not done for (both physical and mental) medicinal reasons. If abortion is not funded, at all, would you be in favor of it?
  #2  
Old Dec 20, '09, 4:32 pm
HickmanJosh's Avatar
HickmanJosh HickmanJosh is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2009
Posts: 1,844
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Well The USSR was socialist and they weren't exactly nice when it came to freedom of religion, the same is true for almost any communist nation.

Abortion is only morally viable if the mothers life is in danger. Even then it is one life for another.
  #3  
Old Dec 20, '09, 4:37 pm
PlipPlop PlipPlop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 28, 2009
Posts: 113
Religion: Spiritual Wanderer
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

The USSR, China, and North Korea are the examples usually trotted out by anti-Socialists. It is what I expected.

Socialism and communism are not the same, sorry. Communism belongs in the same category as Libertarianism and Anarchy: nice idea, but wouldn't actually work outside of theory.

Anyway, I usually counter with Sweden. Sweden is happier, healthier, freer, and wealthier than the United States. They're also socialist.

Also, regarding abortion: what if the baby's life is in danger? What if the baby will only live for, say, 5 days, maximum? What if rape occurred? Rape comes under mental reasons. I'm not a mother, and I will never be a mother (pretty sure it's impossible ), but wouldn't a woman who was forced to have a baby be resentful of it? It seems like an awfully cruel existence to be unwanted by your own mother.

I don't disagree that getting an abortion because you don't like the gender that the baby is, because you changed your mind, and so on is murder, however.

Pro-abortionists will often say "but it's not murder, because the fetus isn't alive yet!" Well, we don't know exactly when a fetus becomes alive. To avoid destroying that precious life, abortion should be avoided.

P.S. I'm sorry if I appear disrespectful. I do not mean to insult your beliefs, but I don't agree with them. If you feel I step out of line, please don't hesitate to tell me why. I can only learn from my mistakes if I know I make them.

Last edited by PlipPlop; Dec 20, '09 at 4:42 pm. Reason: woops, forgot something D:
  #4  
Old Dec 20, '09, 4:50 pm
st lucy st lucy is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2006
Posts: 2,382
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post

Also, regarding abortion: what if the baby's life is in danger? What if the baby will only live for, say, 5 days, maximum? What if rape occurred? Rape comes under mental reasons. I'm not a mother, and I will never be a mother (pretty sure it's impossible ), but wouldn't a woman who was forced to have a baby be resentful of it? It seems like an awfully cruel existence to be unwanted by your own mother.


And are any of these real reasons to kill some one?

You stated that if a baby's life is in danger. I cannot think of any thing more dangerious than having your limbs torn off one by one.

You stated what if the baby lives for only five days. Well, again I am sure he should not have his arms ripped out because of how long his life span might be.

You stated that in a case of rape. Well, why would you condemn the child to death because of what his father did.
__________________
1.4 MILLION
Abortions per year
Who's missing
from your
neighborhood?

The most powerful weapon to conquer the Devil is humility. For as he does not know at all how to employ it, neither does he know how to defend himself from it.
  #5  
Old Dec 20, '09, 4:55 pm
PlipPlop PlipPlop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 28, 2009
Posts: 113
Religion: Spiritual Wanderer
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

I answered in my post. However, could we please go back to socialism please?
  #6  
Old Dec 20, '09, 4:56 pm
st lucy st lucy is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2006
Posts: 2,382
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
I answered in my post. However, could we please go back to socialism please?
Well because we live in america and not in france if you like so much why don't you go there.

We actually like to work for our stuff here. That is what makes it such a great country.
__________________
1.4 MILLION
Abortions per year
Who's missing
from your
neighborhood?

The most powerful weapon to conquer the Devil is humility. For as he does not know at all how to employ it, neither does he know how to defend himself from it.
  #7  
Old Dec 20, '09, 6:48 pm
PlipPlop PlipPlop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 28, 2009
Posts: 113
Religion: Spiritual Wanderer
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Thanks Bay.

Lucy: if done properly, a socialist government would both provide for the less fortunate and give an incentive (as well as opportunities) to rise by personal means.
  #8  
Old Dec 20, '09, 7:54 pm
TenBobNote TenBobNote is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2009
Posts: 196
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

I believe socialism is bad because, at its very root, it is steeling from one man and giving to another by threat of force and incarceration. It is the cheapest kind of "giving" to another because in wanting socialism you claim that people are so inept at giving themselves that you say only politician can give the people what is right, this however, has not and never will work. The politicians will inevitably use their power for personal gain. The system itself will generously allow for inefficiencies because it is not their money they are spending, how many government programs can you claim to be efficient?
__________________
  #9  
Old Dec 20, '09, 8:17 pm
Vasian Vasian is offline
Account Under Review
 
Join Date: December 16, 2009
Posts: 314
Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?


Sweden is not a Socialist country.

Apples and oranges in comparing the U.S. to Sweden.


Sweden's population is 9 million.

The U.S. is over THREE HUNDRED million.

Sweden is a monarchy, a governmental structure very far from socialism and from the American ideal that all people are created equal.



"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money..." M. Thatcher
  #10  
Old Dec 20, '09, 8:21 pm
Vasian Vasian is offline
Account Under Review
 
Join Date: December 16, 2009
Posts: 314
Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

so⋅cial⋅ism

–noun
1. a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
2. procedure or practice in accordance with this theory.
3. (in Marxist theory) the stage following capitalism in the transition of a society to communism, characterized by the imperfect implementation of collectivist principles.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/socialism
  #11  
Old Dec 20, '09, 8:31 pm
PlipPlop PlipPlop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 28, 2009
Posts: 113
Religion: Spiritual Wanderer
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Socialism is only stealing as much as taxation is stealing, and as far as that goes...
"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s".

Also, the monarchist system of Sweden is vestigial. The king and queen have no real power. Sweden's a democracy. However, if the name is really all that important to you, let's switch to Iceland!

And I believe equality is better served under socialism than our current system.

Note: to the misguided ones among you, socialism and communism are not the same.
  #12  
Old Dec 20, '09, 9:35 pm
wabrams wabrams is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 28, 2004
Posts: 5,256
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to wabrams
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
Also, regarding abortion: what if the baby's life is in danger? What if the baby will only live for, say, 5 days, maximum? What if rape occurred? Rape comes under mental reasons. I'm not a mother, and I will never be a mother (pretty sure it's impossible ), but wouldn't a woman who was forced to have a baby be resentful of it? It seems like an awfully cruel existence to be unwanted by your own mother.
A majority of women who are raped and get an abortion have far worse mental health issues than those that go through with having the baby. Plus, if you abort a baby who is the product of rape, you have now created a second victim who also had no say in the matter. With regards to being resentful, there are more than enough people willing to adopt that child the minute he/she comes into this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
Pro-abortionists will often say "but it's not murder, because the fetus isn't alive yet!" Well, we don't know exactly when a fetus becomes alive. To avoid destroying that precious life, abortion should be avoided.
We know exactly when life starts: fertilization of the egg. At that point the cells start rapidly dividing. That is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
Socialism is only stealing as much as taxation is stealing, and as far as that goes...
"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s".
And render unto God what is God's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
And I believe equality is better served under socialism than our current system.
Socialsim by its very nature removes equality by taking from those who have worked hard for what they have and giving it to those who haven't. Our Democratic Republic has written in the Constitution that "All men are created equal" and have a right to "Pursue life, liberty and happiness." I know people that are rich who came from dirt poor poverty while others they grew up with stayed in poverty. They both had equal opportunities and only one took advantage of it. I'm not saying the goal is to be rich, but you can pull yourself out of poverty when you ahve a system where all are treated equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
Note: to the misguided ones among you, socialism and communism are not the same.
You are right, they aren't; but socialism is the pit stop on the road to communism.
__________________
It's a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done before. It's a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known. - Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities"
  #13  
Old Dec 20, '09, 9:50 pm
Brendan's Avatar
Brendan Brendan is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 13,463
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
Socialism is only stealing as much as taxation is stealing, and as far as that goes...
"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s"..
But Charity, which is care for the poor, the sick etc.. is God's. So Christ's command was to give that to God, not Cesear.
__________________
Brendan
________________________________________ _______
  #14  
Old Dec 20, '09, 10:02 pm
Highwayhound's Avatar
Highwayhound Highwayhound is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 10, 2007
Posts: 798
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

First let me ask if when you use the word "feel" did you mean or intend "think"? I ask because I want to understand your position clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
Thanks Bay.

Lucy: if done properly, a socialist government would both provide for the less fortunate and give an incentive (as well as opportunities) to rise by personal means.
First, on what basis do you make this claim? Second, I have never needed a government to provide me incentive. Third, can you provide an example of what you mean by "it being done properly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
Socialism is only stealing as much as taxation is stealing, and as far as that goes...
"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s".
We are to pay taxes because we live in a community, and that does benefit us. We are also not supposed to let government trample on God, or a leader become a diety such as Caesar wanted to be. This is a big problem with government types in general. Eventually they start believing they know best for everyone else. I prefer to exercise my God given free will of my own accord.



Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
And I believe equality is better served under socialism than our current system.
An example please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlipPlop View Post
Note: to the misguided ones among you, socialism and communism are not the same.
Was the first part of this note necessary?

I would contend that in the end, despite any differences offered on paper or in words, that both forms offer the same result. That result being less of my free will being allowed to be used. I cherish my free will as it is a gift from God.

God bless
  #15  
Old Dec 20, '09, 10:44 pm
PlipPlop PlipPlop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 28, 2009
Posts: 113
Religion: Spiritual Wanderer
Default Re: Why do you feel socialism is bad?

Okay, maybe I was wrong about the abortion. I'm just going to set that to the side for another day.


Highwayhound, I didn't say you needed the government to provide incentive. What I was saying was that the government doesn't discourage you from rising through work.

So, if I am to understand you fellows correctly ... taxes aren't owed to the government? You realize that those taxes pay for Medicare, and the VA, and roads, right?

Socialism gives a helping hand to those who need it. It helps more people to better your situation. How is that not equality?

Don't be offended by the "misguided" thing. If you believe something that is false, or do not understand something properly, it means you are misguided. That's all. I really didn't mean to be offensive, sorry.

Highwayhound, are you sure about socialism taking away from freedom?

Here is the "Democracy Index", which is a good indicator of which countries are the freest. Notice how the top ones are socialist.

Here is a list of which countries give the most freedom of the press. Wait! Those countries are socialist too!

Here are the account balances of quite a few countries.
Here are the happiest countries in the world.

Notice a pattern?

EDIT: this is completely unrelated, but I like the sheep in Brendan's signature.

Last edited by PlipPlop; Dec 20, '09 at 10:58 pm.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8569Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5241CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3893Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3460Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3170For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.