Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 24, '09, 11:03 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Why do fundamentalists believe the world is 6000-10000 years old?

EVERY fundamentalist I've seen and met has said that the earth is only 6000-10000 years old. Weren't the dinosaurs here millions of years ago? Oh, wait, I've heard some of them deny they existed
Old Dec 24, '09, 11:46 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do fundamentalists believe the world is 6000-10000 years old?

Hiyas

13.7 million years old, I think.

It always has bothered me...that us kids get more truthful information on the package of a bread-wrapper or happy meal...than we get about abortions -kimmie

Common sense conservation hints shared here.
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=732
Old Dec 24, '09, 12:08 pm
Banned

For the same reason all Christians used to believe that, as the millions of years theory is the new theory how about you tell us why you believe the world is older than 6000-10000 old?
Old Dec 24, '09, 12:11 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

There was this clergyman, James Ussher, who lived 1581-1656. He wrote "The Annals of the World," wherein he counted up all the generations in the Bible, how long everyone lived, and figured out that the world was about 6000 years old.

Many people take the Bible absolutely literally and that's why they think the world was created just a few thousand years ago. There are modern-day apologists for this viewpoint and have turned out a lot of material supporting it.

"The Annals of the World" is still in print now and it's cool to check out.
Old Dec 24, '09, 12:31 pm

I have a neighbor who is CONVINCED the world is only 6000 years old and there is no discussing it with him!! He claims that every depiction of Noah's ark that does not contain dinosaurs contradicts the Bible.
Old Dec 24, '09, 12:40 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
There was this clergyman, James Ussher, who lived 1581-1656. He wrote "The Annals of the World," wherein he counted up all the generations in the Bible, how long everyone lived, and figured out that the world was about 6000 years old.

Many people take the Bible absolutely literally and that's why they think the world was created just a few thousand years ago. There are modern-day apologists for this viewpoint and have turned out a lot of material supporting it.

"The Annals of the World" is still in print now and it's cool to check out.
James Ussher, Anglican Archbishop of Dublin, was one of the most learned men of his time, well conversant with the ancient pagan classics and patristics.

However, while I respect his erudition in Latin and Greek literature, I believe he went about things the wrong way using the Bible to calculate the age of the earth.

But I do think it's reasonable to say that recorded human history is no older than 10,000 years.

Belief about how old the earth will NOT be one of the questions we're asked about at the Last Judgement.

And were dinosaurs in the ark, they would have survived the flood, right?
Old Dec 24, '09, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
James Ussher, Anglican Archbishop of Dublin, was one of the most learned men of his time, well conversant with the ancient pagan classics and patristics.

However, while I respect his erudition in Latin and Greek literature, I believe he went about things the wrong way using the Bible to calculate the age of the earth.

But I do think it's reasonable to say that recorded human history is no older than 10,000 years.

Belief about how old the earth will NOT be one of the questions we're asked about at the Last Judgement.

And were dinosaurs in the ark, they would have survived the flood, right?
Makes sense to me!!!!!!
Old Dec 24, '09, 1:04 pm
Forum Elder

Interpreting the Genealogies of Genesis

Challenged with the idea that Adam's date is 4004 BC and that the Flood occurred in 2238 BC, Robert Sungenis shows that, according to biblical chronology and archeological findings, these dates would be impossible, for it would leave only 66 years between Noah and Abraham. Read as Robert shows that the genealogies are actually a biblical calendar that takes us back to about the year 10,000 BC, with the Flood occurring around 5,000 BC.

more...

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Dec 24, '09, 1:06 pm
Forum Elder

One thing to note - the word dinosaurs was coined in the early 1800's.

Before then they were called dragons.

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Dec 24, '09, 1:10 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post

Yep...The term "dinosaur" was coined in 1842 by Sir Richard Owen

And now you know "THE REST OF THE STORY"
Old Dec 24, '09, 1:12 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post

or mother-in-laws! .

I'm just kidding!!!!! My mother is a mother-in-law! I just thought I would bring a little humor.
Old Dec 24, '09, 1:49 pm

Religion: theosopher

The scriptures do not tell us how old the earth is, and scientists are not certain. So no one really knows. The geneology of the scriptures indicates that Adam was created about 6,000 years ago. However, the earth is older and we don't know how much older.

There are two creation accounts in Genesis. In the first G-d creates mankind, 'male and female he created them'. So there may have been plenty of people on earth for quite some time before Adam and Eve.

Adam was created from the dust of the ground, a special act of creation. We really only know this about Adam.
Old Dec 25, '09, 3:26 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometer View Post
The scriptures do not tell us how old the earth is, and scientists are not certain. So no one really knows. The geneology of the scriptures indicates that Adam was created about 6,000 years ago. However, the earth is older and we don't know how much older.

There are two creation accounts in Genesis. In the first G-d creates mankind, 'male and female he created them'. So there may have been plenty of people on earth for quite some time before Adam and Eve.

Adam was created from the dust of the ground, a special act of creation. We really only know this about Adam.
There are not two creation accounts in Genesis - twinc
Old Dec 25, '09, 3:48 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSK View Post
Makes sense to me!!!!!!
The problem is that nonsense is very often claimed as sense,and it seems that according to creationists there had to be and were two little,small,young dinosaurs on the Ark for originally they were created at the same time as humans.According to Evolutionists they could not have possibly been on the Ark as they became extinct millions of years before humans turned up.As Christians it behoves us to accept the word of God,even if it may just appear to be wrong according to the phony/pseudo science and words of devils,demons or humans - btw dinosaurs bones,as bones, have been found which should not have been found after millions of years - btw does this make sense to you - twinc
Old Dec 25, '09, 4:37 am

Religion: Buddhist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinc View Post
As Christians it behoves us to accept the word of God,even if it may just appear to be wrong
More strictly, as Christians it behoves you to accept the correct interpretation of the word of God. There are many different interpretations available from many different types of Christian. Not all of those interpretations are correct.

Obviously for Catholics, the Church's interpretation is authoritative. In the current case the Catholic Church allows either the 6,000 year interpretation or the 13.7 billion year old universe.

You would also do well to bear in mind the words of Saint Thomas Aquinas:
"In discussing questions of this kind two rules are to be observed, as Augustine teaches. The first is, to hold to the truth of Scripture without wavering. The second is that since Holy Scripture can be explained in a multiplicity of senses, one should adhere to a particular explanation only in such measure as to be ready to abandon it if it be proved with certainty to be false, lest Holy Scripture be exposed to the ridicule of unbelievers, and obstacles be placed to their believing." - Summa
If you insist on the 6,000 year old world interpretation then you will place obstacles to my believing.

rossum

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy