Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 26, '09, 2:37 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Ignatius
Default St Irenaeus Ministries bible studies

The ST. Irenaeus Ministries has a wonderful bible commentary here: http://www.siministries.org/Podcast.

This has great detail, for example here is an exerpt from the current session:
After the death of Antipater, Antigonus became high priest after mutilating the high priest Hyrcanus. Herod had been quickly rising to prominence, marrying into the house of Hasmon, sending his wife into exile, and Herod sought to have the Romans proclaim him leader of the Jews. Rome did declare him King of the Jews, a title never before declared for someone who was not of nobility. To ensure that the Hasmonean dynasty never returned to challenge his position, the remaining heirs to the Hasmonean dynasty suspiciously died.
Wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.
Dirige Domine Deus meus, viam meam in conspectu tuo.
http://catholictruth.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jBa...layer_embedded
Old Dec 26, '09, 8:51 pm

Default Re: St Irenaeus Ministries bible studies

I don't mean to sound brusque but who runs the ministry and why should we give them our hard earned money? Are they trained? Who are they?

I hate it when a website has an "About Us" page that says NOTHING about them.
Old Dec 26, '09, 8:59 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
The ST. Irenaeus Ministries has a wonderful bible commentary here: http://www.siministries.org/Podcast.

This has great detail, for example here is an exerpt from the current session:
After the death of Antipater, Antigonus became high priest after mutilating the high priest Hyrcanus. Herod had been quickly rising to prominence, marrying into the house of Hasmon, sending his wife into exile, and Herod sought to have the Romans proclaim him leader of the Jews. Rome did declare him King of the Jews, a title never before declared for someone who was not of nobility. To ensure that the Hasmonean dynasty never returned to challenge his position, the remaining heirs to the Hasmonean dynasty suspiciously died.

I wish the sound quality was a little better on the talks, but they are very much worth the time you spend listening to them.

I also get a kick out of his Yankee accent, especially when he says "have" (it sounds like "Hi-av"). Regarding the source of his information, I would send St. I Ministries an e-mail.
Old Dec 26, '09, 9:05 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir998 View Post
I don't mean to sound brusque but who runs the ministry and why should we give them our hard earned money? Are they trained? Who are they?

I hate it when a website has an "About Us" page that says NOTHING about them.
I've found the speaker to be very orthodox and knowledgeable. One thing I like about him is that, when he gives his opinion, he makes it clear that it is his opinion and not any official teaching.
Old Dec 28, '09, 9:57 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

The main speaker, David Higbee, is seminary trained, a convert to Catholicism, and has taught on the parish and diocesan level for several years. He and the St. Irenaeus Ministry were featured on EWTN's "Life On The Rock" program a couple of years ago.

I've been listening to the podcasts for several years now, and I too find them orthodox and very helpful. As a previous poster noted, Mr. Higbee acknowledges when some is his opinion and when it is the teaching of the Church. I say bless this group for offering this service to everyone and I wouldn't hesitate to recomend these talks to any Catholic who wants to know more about the Scriptures.

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Dec 28, '09, 11:18 am
Book Club Member

I second Fidelis and Notworthy's opinions. The podcats are very informative (and orthodox) and have helped to deepen my understanding of the Faith. I also apreciate Mr. Higbee's straightforwardness in adressing certain topics, as well as clarifying when something is simply his opinion on the matter. He seems to be a very learned man. Also, he has a captivating voice which, in my opinion, makes the lengthy podcasts all the more enjoyable (as for other voices which I enjoy hearing in the "religious sphere", another favorite is Orthodox priest Fr. Patrick Reardon, of AFR).
If you have any doubts about them, don't hesitate to send them an e-mail. They've been quite kind in replying to my inquiries.
Old Dec 28, '09, 5:06 pm

Send a message via ICQ to Ignatius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
The main speaker, David Higbee, is seminary trained, a convert to Catholicism, and has taught on the parish and diocesan level for several years. He and the St. Irenaeus Ministry were featured on EWTN's "Life On The Rock" program a couple of years ago.

I've been listening to the podcasts for several years now, and I too find them orthodox and very helpful. As a previous poster noted, Mr. Higbee acknowledges when some is his opinion and when it is the teaching of the Church. I say bless this group for offering this service to everyone and I wouldn't hesitate to recomend these talks to any Catholic who wants to know more about the Scriptures.
If he's been on EWTN's "Life On The Rock", I'd tend to believe he's rock solid! Thanks for the background.
http://catholictruth.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jBa...layer_embedded
Old Dec 28, '09, 6:23 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
If he's been on EWTN's "Life On The Rock", I'd tend to believe he's rock solid! Thanks for the background.
You'll find it Here:

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture