Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 19, '05, 4:26 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Archbishop Gomez & Opus Dei

This address takes you to todays (Sat 19th) San Antonio Express News article "Gomez's ties to Opus Dei".
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....bfe42038.html

From what little I have read about Opus Dei I think I like what they represent. I think they are traditional and conservative. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Why would a news paper write about "ties to Opus Dei"? Do some people think Opus Dei is sinister? Some of you arm-chair cannon lawyers tell about it.
Old Feb 19, '05, 4:51 pm
Banned

Default Re: Archbishop Gomez & Opus Dei

The article speaks for itself. The organization mentioned has its own web site with what appears to be legitimate concerns.

As I understand it, OD remains silent (and therefore appears to be secretive), rather than attempt to defend itself.
Old Feb 19, '05, 5:07 pm
Banned

The address is for an article written by a Jesuit, entitled "Opus Dei in the U.S.
http://www.americamagazine.org/artic...in-opusdei.cfm
Old Feb 19, '05, 6:54 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kmktexas

No one should be surprised that a magazine like America takes a critical view of Opus Dei.

Exporter, the San Antonio site wouldn't let me in since I don't have a subscription. Can you summarize?
Old Feb 19, '05, 7:56 pm

To put it bluntly, if Opus Dei is good enough for JPII, it is probably good enough for the rest of us. (No, JPII is not a member, but he has given it his thumbs up).

The best thing to do is talk to actual Opus Dei members, rather than to listen to the piling on from a website. I'm not a member, but I have met many of them and everyone was an excellent model of faith.

Scott
Old Feb 19, '05, 8:30 pm
Banned

Subscribing to the San Antonio site is quick and painless.

The "America" article is not overly critical of OD sprituality, or of its members. It asks some legitimate questions about the "organization" itself.

If my new bishop was an OD member (and yes, the San Antonio article clearly says that when priests become bishops, they leave OD), I'd want to know more. The problem is that it's very hard to learn exactly what OD is all about. There seems to be a lot of mystery, a lot of it unnecessary but perpetuated by OD itself.
Old Feb 19, '05, 9:06 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcn
Subscribing to the San Antonio site is quick and painless. not the point. I didn't say I couldn't subscribe. As a matter of "netiquite" I don't think people should post links to sites that aren't freely available without giving a short summary for those of us who do not wish to give out personal information so freely.
The "America" article is not overly critical of OD sprituality, or of its members. It asks some legitimate questions about the "organization" itself. The America article is not out of line with its usual fare.
If my new bishop was an OD member (and yes, the San Antonio article clearly says that when priests become bishops, they leave OD), I'd want to know more. The problem is that it's very hard to learn exactly what OD is all about. There seems to be a lot of mystery, a lot of it unnecessary but perpetuated by OD itself.
This is an interesting point. I have heard from friends in Texas who are very pleased with the Gomez ordination. They know very little about him but the fact that he is/was part of OD is a stong indicator of his orthodoxy. When you say you "want to know more" do you mean about Archbishop Gomez or about Opus Dei?
Old Feb 19, '05, 9:20 pm
Banned

http://www.MySA.com It is free. This new Archbishop was a Bishop in Denver before coming to S.A.
Old Feb 20, '05, 8:54 am

He also worked in the Diocese of Galveston-Houston in the Katy, Texas area prior to Denver.

Peace

Tim
Old Feb 20, '05, 9:15 am
Banned

kmktexas saw fit to copy the following.

"
Originally Posted by rcn
Subscribing to the San Antonio site is quick and painless. not the point. I didn't say I couldn't subscribe. As a matter of "netiquite" I don't think people should post links to sites that aren't freely available without giving a short summary for those of us who do not wish to give out personal information so freely."
(*************************************)
rcn,

I, Exporter, was the one who posted the link to the S.A. site. If you would look at the rules that CA Forum gave, you'll see that we are supposed to give a limk rather than copy and paste the article!

No one demanded that you go to the site. Why you come here and complain about "Personal Information" , I do not know.

For your information, most news papers ask for a smattering of information the first time you go there. I have been using the San Antonio <MySA.com> site for several years. They have never sent an e-mail or bothered me at all. I think you just got up on the wrong side of the bed.
Old Feb 20, '05, 10:19 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orogeny
He also worked in the Diocese of Galveston-Houston in the Katy, Texas area prior to Denver.
That reminds me - at the beginning of his installation mass which EWTN televised, they read a proclamation announcing the establishment of a new archdiocese in Galveston-Houston (why does Galveston on a par with Houston anyway?), and read the list of dioceses that would be moved from the SA archdiocese to the new one.

I was surprised at the length of the list... at least 8 or 10 dioceses in Texas alone. I would not have expected more than 3 or 4 dioceses to cover the state. Just how many dioceses are there in Texas? Is there a site that lists all the dioceses in the US?
Old Feb 20, '05, 10:30 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmktexas
When you say you "want to know more" do you mean about Archbishop Gomez or about Opus Dei?
Many good people, and by all accounts Gomez is a solid and orthodox bishop.

However, whenever OD comes up in connection to one topic or another, I do a little reading to explore what it is as an organization. There are too many articles like the "America" article - the authors initially have no axe to grind, but they all become incredibly frustrated that they can't get honest answers to their questions. It makes me uncomfortable that such an organization is allowed to operate (with approval) inside the church.
Old Feb 20, '05, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcn
I was surprised at the length of the list... at least 8 or 10 dioceses in Texas alone. I would not have expected more than 3 or 4 dioceses to cover the state. Just how many dioceses are there in Texas? Is there a site that lists all the dioceses in the US?
Texas is a _big_ place - here's a list of their dioceses:

1 Amarillo, Texas
2 Austin, Texas
3 Beaumont, Texas
4 Brownsville, Texas
5 Corpus Christi, Texas
6 Dallas, Texas
7 Fort Worth, Texas
8 Galveston-Houston, Texas (Archdiocese)
9 Laredo, Texas
10 Lubbock, Texas
11 San Angelo, Texas
12 San Antonio, Texas (Archdiocese)
13 Tyler, Texas
14 Victoria in Texas

For a list of all the dioceses in the US:
US Current Dioceses
Old Feb 20, '05, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcn

However, whenever OD comes up in connection to one topic or another, I do a little reading to explore what it is as an organization. There are too many articles like the "America" article - the authors initially have no axe to grind, but they all become incredibly frustrated that they can't get honest answers to their questions. It makes me uncomfortable that such an organization is allowed to operate (with approval) inside the church.

The OD members I have talked to answered every one of my questions directly.

Scott
Old Feb 20, '05, 12:38 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcn

You aren't surprized that people from Opus Dei are reticent to "open up" to a reporter from America are you? My guess is that they would be much more forthcoming if interviewed, for example by This Rock or Lay Witness. Just a guess.

I never encountered OD until moving to Texas. Those people who I know are associated with the prelature volunteered the information and were quite forthcoming when asked about it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments