Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 19, '05, 7:52 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Communion for the homebound

Can any one direct me to where I can find the norms for taking Holy Communion to the home bound. My mom is recovering from surgery at home and when I enquired about having someone take Communion to her, I was told that I could do it my self. I have no training. Can that be right?
Old Feb 19, '05, 8:20 pm

Religion: roman catholic
Send a message via MSN to little_flower
Default Re: Communion for the homebound

there is a specific rite involved when giving to the homebound, i believe, so a person needs to have at least some training. ?

Married! 2008 to my love David

Old Feb 20, '05, 5:45 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmd
Can any one direct me to where I can find the norms for taking Holy Communion to the home bound. My mom is recovering from surgery at home and when I enquired about having someone take Communion to her, I was told that I could do it my self. I have no training. Can that be right?
If you are a commissioned EMHC this is correct. Also your Pastor may commission you to bring Communion only to your mother during her recovery,

The Eucharist is the responsibility of the Pastor, and there are some options, so it is best to ask him about this.

Quote:
Canon Law
Can. 911 1 The duty and right to bring the blessed Eucharist to the sick as Viaticum belongs to the parish priest, to assistant priests, to chaplains and, in respect of all who are in the house, to the community Superior in clerical religious institutes or societies of apostolic life.

2 In a case of necessity, or with the permission at least presumed of the parish priest, chaplain or Superior, who must subsequently be notified, any priest or other minister of holy communion must do this.
Old Feb 20, '05, 5:52 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's not "right" but some pastors allow it. There may just not be enough EMHC available. You must have a Pyx and burse and when taking Holy Communion to the sick and home bound remember that if they are able to participate, the Communion service takes the form of the entire Mass. Including the liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist EXCEPT the Eucharistic prayer and Consecration itself. EMHC should not cut corners with this except only when necesary because it is too much for the sick or aged person.
Old Feb 21, '05, 7:01 pm

Thanks very much for the responses. Br. Rich,
I appreciate knowing that. Things are very lax in our parish. I am sort of torn between:
1. I have never had any training to be an extraordinary minister of the Eucarist.
and
2. Neither haver most of the other people who actually do that ministry, but at least I will do some self training and be as reverent as possible so maybe it would be proper for me to do it. I know what a pyx is but not a burse.

Can you help me out?
Old Feb 21, '05, 7:18 pm

Smile Re: Communion for the homebound

There is a great publication that shows what lay people are allowed to do bringing communion to the sick. It will really help you and anyone else interested:

Pastoral Care of The Sick
Liturgy Training Publications
1800 N. Hermitage Ave.
Chicago, Ill. 60622-1101
1-800-933-1800
fax 1-800-933-7094
[email protected]

Deacon Tony
Old Feb 22, '05, 5:48 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks very much for the responses. Br. Rich,
I appreciate knowing that. Things are very lax in our parish. I am sort of torn between:
1. I have never had any training to be an extraordinary minister of the Eucarist.
and
2. Neither haver most of the other people who actually do that ministry, but at least I will do some self training and be as reverent as possible so maybe it would be proper for me to do it. I know what a pyx is but not a burse.

Can you help me out?
A burse is a little pouch that the pyx goes into and has a cord for around your neck. The Pyx then hangs over your heart. I will sometimes tuck mine in my shirt pocket so it won't flop around and is still over my heart.
Old Feb 22, '05, 8:30 am

Religion: All the Above

Jhn 6:54

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Mat 6:6

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly

FLoRian

http://www.artofflorian.com
"Keep Art in Your Art"

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments