Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 20, '05, 6:29 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to dumspirospero Send a message via Yahoo to dumspirospero
Default How sick must one be, before they miss Mass?

This is a question that I am pondering in my head, because I am sick right now and I would like to remain in the bed this morning....yet I know it is a mortal sin to miss Mass, and I don't like missing Mass anyway....I enjoy being able to go to Mass. Granted, I am not close to the point of hospitalization, but I am infact sick. How sick must one be before they are excused from their Sunday obligation.
Old Feb 20, '05, 7:02 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How sick must one be, before they miss Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumspirospero
This is a question that I am pondering in my head, because I am sick right now and I would like to remain in the bed this morning....yet I know it is a mortal sin to miss Mass, and I don't like missing Mass anyway....I enjoy being able to go to Mass. Granted, I am not close to the point of hospitalization, but I am infact sick. How sick must one be before they are excused from their Sunday obligation.
I think you’re asking people a question you should be asking Jesus. Remember He suffered and died on the cross for you. How sick do you think He would understand? If it is impossible for you to attend, your conscience would be clear wouldn’t it? If you would do yourself or others harm by attending, please stay home.
Old Feb 20, '05, 7:44 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Meggie

if its something contageous, stay home....even if you only feel a little not well.
Old Feb 20, '05, 8:35 am

I keep my germs at home when sick. Some people have seriously compromised immune systems and "a little cold" can have tragic consequences.

I also get distracted and upset when those who are obviously ill and contagious come to church, especially when they are coughing so much that they remove themselves to the cry room so as not to disturb worship! Thanks for sharing your germs with my kids!

God Bless,
Maria
Old Feb 20, '05, 8:56 am

If it were a work day and you were equally sick, would you stay home? That's the rule of thumb I was taught to judge 'sick enough/not sick enough'. If you believe you're still in the contagious phase, it's better to stay home even if less ill (though unfortunately, one is almost always contagious before showing symptoms--which is why these things spread so well in the first place).

Old Feb 20, '05, 9:12 am

Quote:
posted by Melissa
If it were a work day and you were equally sick, would you stay home? That's the rule of thumb I was taught to judge 'sick enough/not sick enough'. If you believe you're still in the contagious phase, it's better to stay home even if less ill (though unfortunately, one is almost always contagious before showing symptoms--which is why these things spread so well in the first place).
Only if you are not one of those who go to work when they think they have the flu! I know people who go to work, or send there kids to school when they are running a fever or when they have strep because they can't afford to miss work. One kid in the school, their mom kept sending him to school with strep after less than 24hours on antibiotics. In other words, when he was still contagious!

Old Feb 20, '05, 9:16 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kmktexas

Melissa,

I use the same rule of thumb. You have to look at circumstances, of course. This last New Years, we were in Colombia. Our family was in various stages of flu and flu recovery. I was the least sick, but still sick. I would not have missed work in that condition but we did not go to Mass the 2nd of January. It was the height of flu season, the parish was one with enforced hugging and kissing for the sign of peace and we would be walking to Mass - no way to dip out to the car if one of the kids couldn't make it. Our situation and the possibiliy of infecting others made our decision.
Old Feb 20, '05, 12:58 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
If your sick enough not to go anywhere else today. Then your sick enough to miss Mass.
Old Feb 20, '05, 3:52 pm

Quote:
If there is anything else you feel could possibly be done while ill that expends the same energy and calls for the same effort achieving, then you could substitute Mass in it's place.

Andy
Old Feb 20, '05, 3:53 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to dumspirospero Send a message via Yahoo to dumspirospero

WEll...I ended up going to Mass today...I felt like I was not sick enough to stay home...much to my surprise...there was a countless number of people who were also sick with the same thing...so I sat with them....it was like we were quarantined LOL
Old Feb 20, '05, 5:12 pm
Banned

Cool Re: How sick must one be, before they miss Mass?

All I know is that a hangover doesn't count!

Peace.
Old Feb 21, '05, 12:04 pm
Banned

Religion: Hard Core Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonAlberic
All I know is that a hangover doesn't count!
Peace.
It doesn't?!!! Oh-oh!

Just kidding. Seriously, every priest I have ever spoken to on the subject all said the same thing. There are a variety of valid reasons one may miss Mass (working OT isn't one of them!).
What makes missing Mass a sin is in the refusal to go.
You may have a sick child and be unable to attend. You yourself may be ill or have another physical malady that would require you to stay home. You may be camping in the mountains and not be near a church. There could be other catastropies: accidents, earthquakes, fires, floods, etc.
Ask yourself this: Am I WILLING to go or do I REFUSE to go?
Therein lies the sin.

"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ" - St. Jerome
Old Feb 21, '05, 5:45 pm
Banned

It doesn't?!!! Oh-oh!

Just kidding. Seriously, every priest I have ever spoken to on the subject all said the same thing. There are a variety of valid reasons one may miss Mass (working OT isn't one of them!).
What makes missing Mass a sin is in the refusal to go.
You may have a sick child and be unable to attend. You yourself may be ill or have another physical malady that would require you to stay home. You may be camping in the mountains and not be near a church. There could be other catastropies: accidents, earthquakes, fires, floods, etc.
Ask yourself this: Am I WILLING to go or do I REFUSE to go?
Therein lies the sin.

Excellent point, dude! (Man, the "quote" thing seems to have screwed up on this one. Oh well...)
Peace,
Old Feb 21, '05, 6:20 pm
Resigned

Religion: Roman Catholic

First of all I don't want to spread around what might be making me sick in the first place; and second of all I have been in situations when it was impossible to attend a Mass (weeks at sea on various fishingboats, tugboats, sailing across the Atlantic or being up in the Arctic, etc.). So hopefully being physically too sick to attend a Mass might be equated with being physically prevented from attending a Mass.
Old Feb 24, '10, 1:33 pm

There are all kinds of illness that can interfere with Mass.

I have asthma, and the symptom is coughing. I can't give anyone asthma but please be reassured that the dirty looks I get when I dare to cough are my special cross to bear. I may have asthma because of the perfume of others, outdoor allergies or no discernable reason at all. It may strike unpredictably.

That and sadly, the asthma makes me vulnerable to anyone's illness. I am now a virtual shut in during flu season--only very short trips to the grocery store (bathed in sanitizer) and Mass. For three years I went to Mass, and the fourth, I did not. No illness all winter.

And, yes, Maria G, I tried to accommodate others in the cry room--but contagion works both ways. I am more likely to get it from kids (and did so almost constantly when I worked with children) than they are likely to get anything from me. I miss them, too.

I will be contacting my priest to ask for suggestions around this--perhaps I can visit him during the week. I hate to bother him, but I really hate to miss Mass, too and he is a very compassionate man.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know that sometimes the story behind people may not be what you think it is.... I am not whining, just noting that we all have opportunities for make sacrifices in St. Therese's "the little way".

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics