Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 3, '10, 7:21 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Is bad weather a valid reason to miss mass?

We have had intense snow squalls over the past few days and have about 2 ft of snow with more expected today. I typically walk to mass but the sidewalks are not well ploughed and I worry about falling because I'm pregnant. It would take my DH ages to dig out the car because of the snow and the roads are not great either. And we would have to wake up the baby from his nap if DH were to drive me. I probably could walk safely to mass but I'm not sure I want to risk it. Would I be sinning by skipping this week?
Old Jan 3, '10, 7:24 am

Default Re: Is bad weather a valid reason to miss mass?

Bad weather can, indeed, be a valid reason to miss Mass. Ask yourself, would you go to work, or grocery shopping, or to visit friends. If you would, then you should go to Mass.

If the weather is too bad to do any of the things I listed, then it is also too bad to go to Mass.

Do see if you can watch Mass on tv, or read the readings for the day, and otherwise spend some time in prayer.

God Bless.

It's not enough to be good; you need to show it. What would you say of a rose bush which produced only thorns?#735, Furrow - St. Josemaria Escriva
Old Jan 3, '10, 8:15 am

That is what we're doin'. It is just too nasty out. Snow is comin' down sideways.
Old Jan 3, '10, 8:46 am

Ask yourself, would you go to work, or grocery shopping, or to visit friends. If you would, then you should go to Mass.

If the weather is too bad to do any of the things I listed, then it is also too bad to go to Mass.

That's what I would say too. If the weather is bad enough to close schools or cancel other important events, or if it would legitimately prevent you from going to work, then you also are excused from Mass.

While you say you could probably make it safely on foot, you do also have to take your pregnancy and the safety of your unborn child into consideration as well.
Old Jan 3, '10, 9:24 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapiocapudding View Post
We have had intense snow squalls over the past few days and have about 2 ft of snow with more expected today. I typically walk to mass but the sidewalks are not well ploughed and I worry about falling because I'm pregnant. It would take my DH ages to dig out the car because of the snow and the roads are not great either. And we would have to wake up the baby from his nap if DH were to drive me. I probably could walk safely to mass but I'm not sure I want to risk it. Would I be sinning by skipping this week?

Not according to my local Catholic paper, nor what I've heard in the past on EWTN.

During the storm before Christmas the authorities in some towns banned traffic (other than emergency vehicles). You should not endanger yourself, your baby, or others.
Old Jan 3, '10, 9:26 am

Well I decided to stay in. I don't work but if it were a weekday I would certainly tell DH to stay home from college there's no way our little old car with no snow tires could handle the drive to school which is a lot further than to church. Right now we've got a total whiteout. I'm sad because I love the Christmas masses but I think it was a good decision. We're pretty low on groceries but we'll have to be inventive. We are not going *anywhere* today!
Old Jan 3, '10, 9:47 am

Good thinkin'. Here we gotta dig out first. After it quits snowin'.
Old Jan 3, '10, 10:54 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardjohn View Post
Good thinkin'. Here we gotta dig out first. After it quits snowin'.
Our neighbor, who is from Boston, was shoveling snow during the blizzard several weeks ago, then again after it finished!

O Blood and Water which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as Font of Mercy for us, I trust in You!
Tiber Swim Team '07-'08
Old Jan 3, '10, 11:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate

We got nearly 40 cm of snow this morning. After I finished blowing the driveway (long one, we live in the woods), I guessed the roads would be bad. Normally I attend Mass at a Benedictine Monastery about 35 min. drive on good roads. When I finished the driveway, had breakfast and a shower, I barely had time to make it. The roads were indeed ****** so I decided to stop at a town 10 min. away and attend Mass there at the small parish church.

It actually sorted out a small issue for me. You see today is Epiphany, transferred from Jan. 6. However the Benedictine calendar still celebrates it on Jan. 6th. So at the Monastery I would not have actually attended the Mass for Epiphany, but the one for the 2nd Sunday after Christmas. To meet my Epiphany obligation I would have to go back on Jan. 6th (taking time off work). And as I pray the LOH, had I gone to the monastery the LOH would not have been congruent with the Mass.

It's still coming down so no doubt I'll be blowing snow again tonight

I am glad I didn't risk the longer drive to the abbey!
Old Jan 3, '10, 1:59 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist

I'm glad I went to Vigil. It's snowing AGAIN.
Old Jan 3, '10, 2:54 pm

Send a message via AIM to marleelynn Send a message via MSN to marleelynn Send a message via Yahoo to marleelynn

two weekends ago Maryland was hit with approximately 20" of snow. our Archbishop lifted the obligation to attend weekend mass due to "grave cause" (ex. blizzard conditions). I watched mass on EWTN
Old Jan 3, '10, 2:57 pm

We decided to skip Mass because of the snow.

But then it lightened up, so we took a chance ... and got stuck in the snow bank where the driveway met the road. It took an hour of heavy digging just to be able to get the car back to the door of the house. And it took a kind neighbor with a majorly bulldozer to get that snow bank pushed aside.

We should have just called it a day and followed our original decision.

" the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees …" -- (former) Senator and Vice President Albert Gore Jr.
Old Jan 4, '10, 2:38 pm

Religion: Catholic - Easter 2000

I've mentioned in other places that we share one priest between 2 parishes, about 25 miles apart, 2 lane highway between, hills and valley, etc.

Our priest cancels mass when the weather is really bad. Since he cannot safely drive here, it falls to the parish leadership to have communion or nothing at all. The rectory is about 30 feet from the side entrance to the church in the other community. He holds the celebration, tho' he may be alone, or several persons attending.

At our house, when we cannot get out, or mass is cancelled, we prayfully watch and participate in a mass via TV, no matter when it was taped for airing.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments