Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 6, '10, 7:09 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic
Default Blessed Salt

How do I get blessed salt? Can I just purchase regular salt from the grocery store and ask a priest to bless it?
Old Jan 6, '10, 7:45 am
Banned

Religion: Christian
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristian B
Default Re: Blessed Salt

And what will be the purpose of that blessed salt?
Old Jan 6, '10, 7:51 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian B View Post
Same as any other blessed object, like holy water; a sacramental used to remind us of our own obligation to be holy for the Lord and to bless His Holy Name. No 'magic' properties. Heck, you believe in blessings, right? They're Scriptural. I love the blessing of Aaron.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Jan 6, '10, 10:57 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

Blessed salt is a sacramental of protection.

The official prayer from the Roman Ritual:

"Almighty God, we ask you to bless this salt, as once you blessed the salt scattered over the water by the prophet Elisha. Wherever this salt (and water) is sprinkled, drive away the power of evil, and protect us always by the presence of your Holy Spirit. Grant this through Christ our Lord. Amen"
Old Jan 6, '10, 3:09 pm

I understand the value of having blessed salt around, but is there any particular kind that is favored? Such as table versus sea salt?

ChadS
Old Jan 6, '10, 3:11 pm

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I understand the value of having blessed salt around, but is there any particular kind that is favored? Such as table versus sea salt?

ChadS
Shouldn't it be Kosher?
Old Jan 6, '10, 3:16 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraEtLabora1965 View Post
How do I get blessed salt? Can I just purchase regular salt from the grocery store and ask a priest to bless it?
Make certain the priest blesses it with the full blessing from the old ritual, and not just a sign of the cross.

Some priests might not even have those books, but it's good to prompt them about it if they don't even if you have to listen to a lecture about it not being magic, which one almost invariably hears every time you try from some priests and people to get a sacramental blessed.

Or you get it from a place like the one above, blessed ahead of time.
Old Jan 6, '10, 3:17 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceandglory View Post
Shouldn't it be Kosher?
lol.
Old May 27, '11, 4:14 am

Send a message via AIM to sail1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin View Post
Make certain the priest blesses it with the full blessing from the old ritual, and not just a sign of the cross.

Some priests might not even have those books, but it's good to prompt them about it if they don't even if you have to listen to a lecture about it not being magic, which one almost invariably hears every time you try from some priests and people to get a sacramental blessed.

Or you get it from a place like the one above, blessed ahead of time.
I printed the blessing out, bought a two pound box of Kosher salt and took it to seven churches before returning to my parish (where I started) looking for a priest. No one home anywhere. When I complained about not finding a priest at seven local churches the secretary informed me that there was a retired bishop living upstairs. I handed her the prayer and the box of salt. I use it in cooking (it's appropriate to do so) and I use it to bless my home and work, and drive away evil spirits. I can feel that it has worked. I sprinkle it at doors and windows.
Old May 27, '11, 6:38 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraEtLabora1965 View Post
Yes, that is a common practice in different parishes that I have attended (for those who desire to incorporate the salt into their spirituality).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian B View Post
Historically, salt has been used as a disinfectant and preservative. With this in mind, there is an old tradition within Christianity to have a priest bless it with a special exorcism prayer (which the OP cited in Post #5). The idea is that blessed salt does on a spiritual level what regular salt does on a material level. The exorcized salt can be added to holy water, or it can simply be sprinkled in places. It can even be consumed.

Quote:
Some priests might not even have those books...
Don't worry about that; all priests have the proper prayer. It is in the Sacramentary (on page 359 in the current English version) as part of the sprinkling rite when used as the Penitential Rite for Mass. It is considered an optional addition. For example, it is currently the Easter Season and many priests at the beginning of Sunday Mass will bless a bucket of holy water (while saying, "Dear friends, this water will be used to remind us of our baptism..."). He will then walk around sprinkling people. During the actual blessing of the holy water, he has the option of blessing some salt and adding it to the water prior to the sprinkling.

Quote:
...but it's good to prompt them about it if they don't even if you have to listen to a lecture about it not being magic, which one almost invariably hears every time you try from some priests and people to get a sacramental blessed.
This sort of thing can, indeed, be frustrating, can't it? Fortunately, there are still other priests out there who are "old school", especially among the younger ones, meaning that they have adopted a more traditional mindset concerning sacramentals. I know of a priest who routinely blesses salt for parishioners and always uses the formula from the Sacramentary. And if he notices someone wearing a St. Benedict medal, he will ask, "Did you ever have a priest or deacon put the special exorcism prayer on that?" (he keeps a copy of that prayer in the sacristy in case the answer is "no"; this is not the same exorcism prayer used on salt, of course). In other words, he takes sacramentals used in the context of spiritual warfare very seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
The rubrics in the Sacramentary simply call for "salt." So it can be regular table salt or sea salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail1993 View Post
I printed the blessing out, bought a two pound box of Kosher salt and took it to seven churches before returning to my parish (where I started) looking for a priest. No one home anywhere. When I complained about not finding a priest at seven local churches the secretary informed me that there was a retired bishop living upstairs. I handed her the prayer and the box of salt.
Here is a helpful suggestion for the next time that you need salt blessed. Arrive at Mass early, give the box of salt to the sacristan and ask him to have the priest bless it. As I mentioned above, the book that has the blessing is the Sacramentary. Therefore, seeing as the Mass is about to be celebrated, both the book and a priest will be there. Then pick up the salt from the sacristan after Mass. Of course, you can directly ask the priest yourself, but in some places it is easier to do this through the sacristan.

...I just realized that this thread is about a year and a half old. Well, hopefully what I've posted may still come to the attention of those who originally participated in this discussion as well as be helpful to future people reading it.
Old Aug 24, '11, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFilmer View Post
Of course, you can directly ask the priest yourself, but in some places it is easier to do this through the sacristan.
If you have a deacon, he can bless salt also.
Old Aug 26, '11, 3:51 pm
Observing Member

My priest refused to bless my salt. Said that the Church has moved on from those practices. However, I could bless it myself. I think it is sad that our priests will not provide services like these. It is such a small thing to bring comfort and encourage the practice of our faith.
Old Aug 26, '11, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrwg View Post
My priest refused to bless my salt. Said that the Church has moved on from those practices. However, I could bless it myself. I think it is sad that our priests will not provide services like these. It is such a small thing to bring comfort and encourage the practice of our faith.
Are you a deacon?
Old Aug 28, '11, 12:58 pm
Observing Member

No, I am a lay person.
Old Aug 28, '11, 11:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrwg View Post
Good grief. The blessing of salt is actually an optional part of the sprinkling rite if he would open his Sacramentary. It's common on EWTN for the priest to bless salt (rather than the water) and then add it to water for the sprinkling rite.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments