Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 21, '05, 10:29 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics
Angry Terri to be killed slowly starting at 1:00 today

Well the stay was denied They will start starving her at 1:00 today Pray, email, call the local news,raise cain Legal murder in the name of death with dignaty Pray and God deliver us from the evil one
Old Feb 21, '05, 10:47 pm

Religion: Agnostic
Default Re: Terri to be killed slowly starting at 1:00 today

And here are ALOT of emails on this page to use http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin...cgi?read=64999 PLEASE E-MAIL E-MAIL E-MAIL!!!

Like you said, it is TIME to raise cain!!! And let everyone in authority know how you feel about this legalized judicial MURDER being imposed on her. Dehydration and starvation is a VERY agonizing death, the same that was done in the Nazi death camps of World War II.

Words can't express my feelings about this!!!
Old Feb 21, '05, 11:22 pm

I just hope and pray that IF her life is lost that her suffering will be redemptive for others in her situation -- that the public somehow see the wretchedness in this act of brutally starving to death an innocent person who can't help herself.

I hope this situation with Terri will show the rest of the U.S. that no one is safe with honorless tyrants on the bench being called "your honor."

When they got out on land, they saw a charcoal fire there ...
Old Feb 21, '05, 11:36 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

I hope that it does not happen,last time they did this her husband refused to let their priest administer the last rights Can you imagine that How could he be allowed to do this and those so-called judges God Help her and help us all
Old Feb 22, '05, 1:25 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I've been following this case for a few years now, and I can't beleive how the obvious connections between the judge, the "husbands" attorney, and the hospice are overlooked. It breaks my heart to think that this could happen in MY country.

Pray for Terri!!!!

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant...

Go Packers!
--me

Last edited by Lonevoice; Feb 22, '05 at 1:26 am. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 22, '05, 1:30 am
Resigned

Disgusting !!! another form of euthenasia, food and water are a right, if anyone of us don't have it, we'll die.
Just part of the selfish society we are living in.

Old Feb 22, '05, 1:48 am
Book Club Member

Religion: orthodox Roman Catholic (love the church & all it stands 4!

Please continue to pray for Terri

CARose
Old Feb 22, '05, 4:11 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance

I am trying to find where the judiciary has the legal recourse to make this call. As far as I can tell, the Governor and the legislature have the right to determine Terri's outcome, not some unelected elitist intellectuals in black robes. Governor Bush should put up the ultimatum that any doctor who orders the removal of feeding equipment have his medical licence revoked for violating the Hippocratic Oath.
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Feb 22, '05, 4:13 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

The Hippocratic Oath
(Modern Version)
I swear in the presence of the Almighty and before my family, my teachers and my peers that according to my ability and judgment I will keep this Oath and Stipulation.
To reckon all who have taught me this art equally dear to me as my parents and in the same spirit and dedication to impart a knowledge of the art of medicine to others. I will continue with diligence to keep abreast of advances in medicine. I will treat without exception all who seek my ministrations, so long as the treatment of others is not compromised thereby, and I will seek the counsel of particularly skilled physicians where indicated for the benefit of my patient.
I will follow that method of treatment which according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patient and abstain from whatever is harmful or mischievous. I will neither prescribe nor administer a lethal dose of medicine to any patient even if asked nor counsel any such thing nor perform the utmost respect for every human life from fertilization to natural death and reject abortion that deliberately takes a unique human life.
With purity, holiness and beneficence I will pass my life and practice my art. Except for the prudent correction of an imminent danger, I will neither treat any patient nor carry out any research on any human being without the valid informed consent of the subject or the appropriate legal protector thereof, understanding that research must have as its purpose the furtherance of the health of that individual. Into whatever patient setting I enter, I will go for the benefit of the sick and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief or corruption and further from the seduction of any patient.
Whatever in connection with my professional practice or not in connection with it I may see or hear in the lives of my patients which ought not be spoken abroad, I will not divulge, reckoning that all such should be kept secret.
While I continue to keep this Oath unviolated may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of the art and science of medicine with the blessing of the Almighty and respected by my peers and society, but should I trespass and violate this Oath, may the reverse by my lot.
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Feb 22, '05, 4:17 am

To quote Padre Pio..."bring me my weapon". Get out your rosaries and pray. It is our best hope.
Old Feb 22, '05, 4:49 am

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to alyssa

It's too bad doctors are no longer required to take the hippocratic oath.
Old Feb 22, '05, 5:08 am

Religion: catholic

The Hippocratic oath doesn't supersede the wishes of the patient/next of kin. Terri Schiavo apparently expressed before her collapse that she would not want to live like this. Her husband, I think, has all along been trying to do for Terri what he thinks she wanted, even if her parents are against this and if lots of people want to paint him as some kind of malevolent person. It is a very unfortunate situation, something that would never have happened if she'd had a living will.
Old Feb 22, '05, 5:26 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcoral
The Hippocratic oath doesn't supersede the wishes of the patient/next of kin. Terri Schiavo apparently expressed before her collapse that she would not want to live like this. Her husband, I think, has all along been trying to do for Terri what he thinks she wanted, even if her parents are against this and if lots of people want to paint him as some kind of malevolent person. It is a very unfortunate situation, something that would never have happened if she'd had a living will.
I have received two letters from Terri's father, indicating to me that Michael (Terri's husband) wants her dead. Terri is (was) a devote Catholic, and there have been signs that if she was receiving proper and adequate care, she would be mental impared, but not a vegetable. Michael has done everything in his power to block Terri from receiving adequate care. Her parents have been fighting this battle with her husband for many years now. Michael is the one that is supposed to be looking out for the best interests of his wife, but it appears he is already involved in another romantic relationship and wants to keep the preponderance of her $2+ million settlement to spend on himself. That money was given to her at settlement for her medical expenses, and he is the trustee. Please don't make the mistake of saying that Michael Sciavo is a saint, because he isn't. He wants Terri dead so he can move on with his life, and her parents have been acting for years to save the life of their daughter, mostly at their own personal expense.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Feb 22, '05, 6:19 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

If you subscribe to the Catholic Answers newsletter, you should have something in your inbox regarding the true of this matter. In reality, the courts have handed her a sentence of execution without her being convicted of a crime. IF you consider yourself a pro-life advocate, you need to email or call Governor Bush NOW. He is still in charge of that state. You need to pray. If they pull her tube, I am going on a total fast until something is done or she dies, and offering that sacrifice up for her. This whole situation is a total travesty and the judges responsible for this need to be put in jail. It is a shame.

To the judge who reversed Governor Bush last action, this is for you.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Feb 22, '05, 6:26 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to lovesfall
Unhappy Re: Terri to be killed slowly starting at 1:00 today

I just heard on the radio that Terri has just been given a 24 hour reprieve.

Please let us pray for a miracle.

God Bless

Sandy

- Anonymous child

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005