Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 18, '10, 8:06 am

Religion: None
Default Why do so many christians convert to Islam?

do you know of any?
Old Jan 18, '10, 9:26 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic Christian Papist =)
Default Re: Why do so many christians convert to Islam?

I know of no one.

I would assume reasons could be...

1. Lack or little faith and being led off.
2. Not being true Christians in the first place.
3. Following fads.
Old Jan 18, '10, 9:34 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

i suspect many are pressured, some under the threat of death, due to the many people in the oppressive regimes who subvert Islam for personal & political power.

Some are just poorly educated on the Truth of Jesus Christ & they fall for the false claims of many non-Christians.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

(JOHN 6:35 & 48)

"For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God. . . . His conscience is man's most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths." (CCC 1776).
Old Jan 18, '10, 9:54 am
Trial Membership

I disagree with Mark's stance in that he mentions the word "truth". Truth is almost always associated with facts. Religion is different from truth as it requires faith, not facts.

I would have to say that many people convert religions over the years because their beliefs change. For instance, the way the majority interprets the bible (at present) is far different than one would have interpreted it one thousand years ago. Some of the more violent aspects of the bible have been toned down in how they are taught or studied.

Another thing to consider is that many people from Islamic countries may have great difficulty in the changing of faiths versus someone living in another country. Consider in some middle east countries Christians are terrorized for their beliefs. I would also say that it happens to a degree with Islam in certain parts of the United States, however, I think the degree between the two is different.

Also it should be important to point out I am of no specific faith at this time. I have yet to decide if and/or what I believe in, however, I do like to keep an open mind and I do think religion is interesting regardless from a historic and social perspective.
Old Jan 18, '10, 9:56 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

I don't know any. Why did you title your thread in such a leading fashion?

In the early 90's I was in college and knew 4 people from Indonesia that converted from Islam to Christianity. Why did THAT happen? They met Christ.
Old Jan 18, '10, 10:05 am
Banned

Religion: Coptic Orthodox Christian

For Western Euro/American converts, I would guess there is a certain amount of fetishization of the "Eastern" or "mystical" aura around Islam. Few remember or even know the original "Middle Easterners", the Assyrians, who fought off the Muslim invasions which came to them from the West, and Islamic propaganda feeds on this ignorance with re-written history where the only people that ever lost Jerusalem were the Muslim Arabs at the hands of the evil Christians, the only religion ever practiced by Africans before the coming of European powers was Islam or paganism, and Christianity has only ever been a foreign, invasive force anywhere outside of the Americas and Western Europe.

It's all BS, of course. No nice way to say it. Tell those claims to an Assyrian, a Copt, an Ethiopian or Eritrean Orthodox Christian, or even many of the native people of the Maghreb or the Sudan (many of whom practiced Christianity or Judaism prior to the Muslim invasions), and watch them laugh in your face.

Islam especially trades in this "the white man ruined true African identity by forcing your people to convert to Christianity" narrative in the African-American community. This overlooks the fact that Islam enslaved native black Africans and forced their conversion to Islam literally centuries before any European set foot in Africa. Again, it's all BS propaganda. Two wrongs most definitely do not make a right, but at least don't condemn other people for later what you did first. A wrong is a wrong no matter who does it. De-facto slavery still exists in some Islamic nations in Africa, such as Niger (see here) where it is seen as rooted in the local culture despite official prohibitions. That's sad. It doesn't have to be.
Old Jan 18, '10, 11:27 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Ice View Post
do you know of any?
Presently being employed in arabian country, I met some philippinos who converted to Islam. Dont know what made them do so, but as to what I have heard from their friends, that once they are on vacation in their own country they are Christians. When they come back they are muslims.

What I do know of is that the salaries get increased, and lots of gifts are given to those who convert and even special trips to their religious places are organized.
Old Jan 18, '10, 12:22 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
do you know of any?
I've never met a practicing Christian who converted to Islam, I have however met two practicing Muslims who converted to Christianity, and given how few Muslims I have actually met that is quite a few.

New question, why is it ok for Muslims to lie when they think it can advance their agenda?
Old Jan 18, '10, 2:35 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
do you know of any?
Why are so many Muslims converting to Catholicism?
Old Jan 18, '10, 3:08 pm
Banned

Why do so many Muslims, after leaving Islam, also become ardent atheists, so thoroughly disgusted by the concept of God and religion by their previous experience of Islam that they feel it is better to not have any religious life at all?

Why is Islam so awful as to kill that light in otherwise good, God-fearing people?

God bless the converts from Islam we have here, whether they are reverts to the true faith in Christ, or born Muslims who have come to realize that God is not in Islam, but He still is.

"Before Abraham was, I AM."
Old Jan 18, '10, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark77 View Post
i suspect many are pressured, some under the threat of death, due to the many people in the oppressive regimes who subvert Islam for personal & political power.
not this guy:
http://islam77.com/videos/4/australi...o-islam.-funny
Old Jan 18, '10, 3:33 pm

actually i found that people who were quite knowledgeable in christianity converted to Islam like yusuf estes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusuf_Estes
Old Jan 18, '10, 3:57 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine

Quote:
actually i found that people who were quite knowledgeable in christianity converted to Islam like yusuf estes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusuf_Estes
Oh Byz Wolffffff.... callling Byz Wolffffff .... come in...... were are you????

There is a post about "Yusuf Estes"... you know... the Christian who converted to islam......

Dang... you must be out of reach, but I'm sure when you log in you'll see this...

Old Jan 18, '10, 4:11 pm
Banned

I hadn't noticed this "Black Ice" person before this thread. Why exactly are they permitted to lie about their religious affiliation to proselytize for Islam?
Old Jan 18, '10, 4:19 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzheremi View Post
I hadn't noticed this "Black Ice" person before this thread. Why exactly are they permitted to lie about their religious affiliation to proselytize for Islam?
I noticed "black ice" and the profile name says something, doesn't it?

Sheep in wolf's clothing sound familiar?

Same goes with poster "friendship" religion = "love"

Is he/she a Shia, a Sunni and Koranist only, other islamic faith, Ahmadi perhaps?

Sheep in wolf's clothing!!!

Are they embarrassed to put their religion on their profile? Sounds like it to me!

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions