Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 18, '10, 9:31 am

Religion: Catholic
Default When did you return to Sunday mass after having a baby?

I haven't been to mass for 6 weeks now. I feel terrible about it, but my baby has just not settled into a routine yet and he has a tendency to cry a lot. I'm afraid to take him to mass still.

When did you return to Sunday mass?

It's just me, my daughter and son that would attend mass, so I don't have any help. If my husband went to church, we could all go together, but he's not a church going person (cradle Catholic).

Old Jan 18, '10, 9:36 am

Default Re: When did you return to Sunday mass after having a baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
I haven't been to mass for 6 weeks now. I feel terrible about it, but my baby has just not settled into a routine yet and he has a tendency to cry a lot. I'm afraid to take him to mass still.

It's just me, my daughter and son that would attend mass, so I don't have any help. If my husband went to church, we could all go together, but he's not a church going person (cradle Catholic).
Does your parish have a "cry room"? If not, is there a parish near you that does? Those were a lifesaver when I was taking my sister's LO's to mass. We'd just start out in there, didn't even wait for them to start crying or acting up. It helps contain them too. Do you have any relatives or friends who could take your daughter to Mass on Sundays, until you are able? Could you have a Eucharistic Minister bring communion to your home?

These are just some of the things I'd do if I were in your situation.

Old Jan 18, '10, 9:38 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic as of Easter Vigil 2009

We went the week after she was born, and have been going ever since. But we make sure that is my wife and I, because it would be hard alone with the baby. We are lucky as my in-laws attend Mass with us usually, so we try and go to the same Mass as they like to sit with our 6 month old, and help out as well. Good Luck and God Bless.
Old Jan 18, '10, 9:41 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I went to Sunday mass when Jonathan was 4 days old. I was really excited to go to church with my baby. He was actually really good at church and continues to be really good at church at 8 1/2 months (excepting his third mass when he needed to nurse, and I wasn't very proficient yet.)

Jonathan Danial 4/21/09
William Thomas 12/13/10
Claire Marie 6/27/12
Old Jan 18, '10, 9:43 am

It varied with each baby, but maybe one or two weeks.

Are you nursing? I had a hard time the first few weeks because the timing had to be "perfect" in order to get out the door. If you can nurse while your husband gets the older kids ready for Mass, and then you hand off the baby to him and leave, that might work. I remember that is how we had to handle it. Actually for a long time, my husband would take all the older kids to a different Mass and then I would go to Mass myself or take just the baby so he could actually make it through the hour at home... but that is not an option since your husband isn't going to go...
Old Jan 18, '10, 9:45 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I was recovering from a cesarean the first time (surgery on a Thursday), so I didn't get to Mass that weekend, but went the following weekend.

My second baby was born vaginally (but with a complication) on a Friday, so I didn't get to Mass that weekend, but went the following weekend.

Both babies were born in January, at the height of cold/flu season, so maybe I wasn't the smartest mommy.

Old Jan 18, '10, 9:45 am

Religion: Papist

If I'd been Catholic back in the time when I was having babies... I'd have had them baptized within the first week. I'd have kept them home with me away from Mass for at least 6 weeks, more if needed, and requested Communion be brought to me at home.
Old Jan 18, '10, 9:46 am

I just wanted to add to please don't ever be afraid to take your child to mass. God and your priest and parish family WANT you there. Fussy, crying, screaming baby and all.

I would try to attend the most family friendly parish and mass possible. We have a 10:30 mass that I avoid like the plague (cause we are infertile) because there are crying babies and fidgety toddlers everywhere. But a mass like that would be PERFECT for you, you'd fit right in and they wouldn't know it was "your" baby fussing.

Again, cry rooms/areas are a young family's best friend.

Old Jan 18, '10, 10:12 am

Religion: catholic

I went back to mass the first Sunday after I had them. My husband and I would go to different masses until the babies were old enough to go out. Given two of them were born in the winter we didn't want to take them out in the cold and expose them to colds. Our kids were baptized within a month after they were born and we took then to mass weekly once they were about 3 months old and the weather was warmer. We took our eldest daughter camping during a trip to California at 4 months so we figured she was ready for Mass before then.
Old Jan 18, '10, 10:14 am

In my parish, it's pregnant one Sunday, in the pew with the baby the next Absolutely love it. I have noticed the first time moms tend to take a couple weeks, but other than that...it is amazing, a real treat for the rest of us too
Old Jan 18, '10, 10:20 am

My 3 kids were born on a Monday, Tuesday, and a Thursday (Holy Thursday to be exact)... and we always got to Mass by the next Sunday (EASTER in that one case!)... all baptized around 3-4 weeks old...

At first I just bring them in the infant carseat carrier and bring a pacifier... normally they just sleep right through Mass!... Infancy is the EASIEST time to bring them along... it's when they get bigger and start squirming that it's more challenging...

You can do it!!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Jan 18, '10, 10:23 am

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post

Had preemies in April. I attended first time on Mothers Day, w/o my babies. Waited 2 months to take them for fear of them getting sick, Doctor's orders.

Had a c section on the 6th of Sept. WTC bombed Sept 11th. In Church Sept 16th. I guess 10 days. Couldn't NOT be there. Had a great baby room at that Church. Just depends on how much you want to be there.
Old Jan 18, '10, 10:24 am

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNeedle View Post
In my parish, it's pregnant one Sunday, in the pew with the baby the next Absolutely love it. I have noticed the first time moms tend to take a couple weeks, but other than that...it is amazing, a real treat for the rest of us too

Love, Love, Love Being Catholic!!!!
Old Jan 18, '10, 10:27 am

Religion: Papist

While it is great that some moms are able to go directly from birthing room to the front pew at Mass, we should be careful not to make any mom feel she is "less than holy" if she is not able to do the same.

The Catechism assures us, it is valid to miss mass to care for an infant. Mom should not feel forced to stay home NOR forced to go to Mass. She should seek the advice of her priest if she is confused or bothered by either prospect.
Old Jan 18, '10, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_name View Post
While it is great that some moms are able to go directly from birthing room to the front pew at Mass, we should be careful not to make any mom feel she is "less than holy" if she is not able to do the same.

The Catechism assures us, it is valid to miss mass to care for an infant. Mom should not feel forced to stay home NOR forced to go to Mass. She should seek the advice of her priest if she is confused or bothered by either prospect.
Very true... don't give yourself a hard time - EVER!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life