Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jan 24, '10, 6:29 am
rwillenborg rwillenborg is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2008
Posts: 624
Default What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

I've read the catechism on this subject, but when it comes to applying it to very specific situations, it gets confusing for me.

For example, the furnace went out in our house yesterday. The house is currently at 58 degrees. Someone can come out today to fix it, but he said it would be between 10 and 2 that he would be out here, so I will be sitting around today waiting for him. The only Masses within an hour of here are 10, noon, and 2. Is waiting for a furnace repair man a valid reason to miss Mass?

The other weekend, we were painting the kids' bedroom. My mother had the kids for the weekend (I have twin two year olds). I was worried we wouldn't get it finished in time for their return on Sunday afternoon, so we kept on painting rather than go to Mass. Was that a valid reason?

For New Year's Day, I assumed there would be a 7 pm Mass, as there is on all of the other Holy Days. Around 6 pm, I started to think 'Uh, since everyone had today off today, what if they moved the Mass to the morning?' I checked the website and indeed Mass had been at 9 in the morning. Had I been a little more on the ball, I wouldn't have missed. Was that a valid reason for missing Mass?

Some days my kids are just plain crabby, usually due to lack of sleep. I'm a little crabby on those days, too. The idea of taking my crabby children to Mass is terrible, so on those days, I just stay home. Is that a valid reason?

I'm not looking for excuses to miss Mass, by the way. I love love love Mass. But, it's also hard for me to get to confession (all the confessions are on Saturday at 3, the line is an hour long, and of course I've got the twins with me, and it's really difficult to maintain a reverent environment while trying to contain the kids) and of course if I miss Mass and don't make it to confession, that means no Eucharist, so, unfortunately, MOST of the time when I go to Mass, I don't take communion and I really would like to (not to mention not living in mortal sin would be nice, too )
Anyway, I just don't want to be overly scrupulous in this matter so some charitable advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jan 24, '10, 8:39 am
SuscipeMeDomine SuscipeMeDomine is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 5,081
Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

I don't think someone can tell you precisely that in one situation it's OK to miss Mass and in another situation it's wrong.

The Catechism says:
2180
The precept of the Church specifies the law of the Lord more precisely: "On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass." "The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the preceding day."

2181
The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.
If you died tonight and were facing Jesus, could you say "I missed Mass because I was painting" and think it was OK?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jan 24, '10, 8:52 am
Onegin's Avatar
Onegin Onegin is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 17, 2009
Posts: 689
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Legitimate reasons to miss Mass would be along the lines of illness, needing to care for the ill, and lack of an available Mass within a reasonable distance.

Think of it in terms of being dispensed from your Sunday obligation. Dispensations are usually only granted for pretty serious reasons.

The fact that Sunday Mass is inconvenient or simply doesn't fit into your schedule probably are not serious reasons.
__________________
Fiat voluntas tua.

"Who except God can give you peace? Has the world ever been able to satisfy the heart?"
-St. Gerard Majella
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jan 24, '10, 8:57 am
teachccd teachccd is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 22, 2004
Posts: 4,238
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

The Mass is nothing less than being present at the Crucifixion. At the Last Supper Jesus gave us this gift of the Mass to perpetuate this event for all time. So I would think that any reason that would suffice for missing the Last Supper would suffice for missing Mass................ teachccd
__________________
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jan 24, '10, 8:57 am
rwillenborg rwillenborg is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2008
Posts: 624
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine View Post
If you died tonight and were facing Jesus, could you say "I missed Mass because I was painting" and think it was OK?
No. I also don't think it would be okay to tell him that I missed Mass because my children were crabby, or because the furnace broke, or because I'm a flake and didn't realize Mass was at a different time. However, these are things that do happen, so I guess I'm just wondering from people here on this board, if your kids are acting up, do you skip Mass? I don't like to miss Mass, but then again, I don't like spending the entirety of Mass scolding my children. If you were waiting for a furnace repairman would you skip Mass, or just have everyone sleep in a chilly house that night and have him come out the next day (honestly, I worry more about the kids' room than ours. Those two spin in their sleep and never keep blankets on!!)? And, regarding the painting - my mother only grudgingly watches the kids. If she dropped them off and saw the room WASN'T finished, she would have flipped, and she wouldn't watch the kids again until the room was finished.
None of these are particularly stellar reasons for missing Mass, and, again, I enjoy Mass. But, I guess what I wonder is missing Mass for these reasons still a mortal sin?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jan 24, '10, 8:59 am
teachccd teachccd is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 22, 2004
Posts: 4,238
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Again, read post number 4...........
__________________
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:03 am
SuscipeMeDomine SuscipeMeDomine is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 5,081
Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillenborg View Post
None of these are particularly stellar reasons for missing Mass, and, again, I enjoy Mass. But, I guess what I wonder is missing Mass for these reasons still a mortal sin?
You've answered your own question.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:06 am
rwillenborg rwillenborg is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2008
Posts: 624
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegin View Post
Legitimate reasons to miss Mass would be along the lines of illness, needing to care for the ill, and lack of an available Mass within a reasonable distance.

Think of it in terms of being dispensed from your Sunday obligation. Dispensations are usually only granted for pretty serious reasons.

The fact that Sunday Mass is inconvenient or simply doesn't fit into your schedule probably are not serious reasons.
So, if it were you, you would just reschedule the furnace repairman for the following day and hope the kids didn't get too cold in the night?
I'm not trying to ask a leading or tricky question or anything - the furnace repair guy ended up being able to come out later, so I actually just returned from Mass, but I still wonder, if he hadn't been able to come out later, should I have skipped Mass?
On the one hand, I have an obligation to the Lord. On the other hand, I also have an obligation to provide for a warm sleeping environment for my children. We're having an unseasonably warm day today, but it'll be in the 10s tonight.

Likewise, with the children when they're crabby. I still have an obligation to go to Mass, but I think the other people there would much prefer I keep the kids at home when they're like that, I'm sure.

And, likewise, what about when the kids just got over an illness? Daycare wants them to be fever free for 24 hours before bringing them to daycare. I apply that rule just generally. Kids need to be fever free for 24 hours before I take them anywhere since they could still be contagious. But, is that a valid reason to miss Mass? That my kids just got over a fever? Again, I understand my obligation to the Mass, but I also feel an obligation to keep children who might be infectious away from the other kids in the cry room.

For example, on those days when the kids have been crabby and I HAVE taken them to Mass, I come home regretting it, saying 'Everyone would have had a much nicer time at Mass if I had stayed home'. And on the days that I DO stay home from Mass, I think to myself, 'I really should have gone'. I just want to make a decision and be happy with it, y'know?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:13 am
rwillenborg rwillenborg is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2008
Posts: 624
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine View Post
You've answered your own question.
But, I guess, specifically, as I responded to someone else, how do I balance my obligation to the Lord with my obligation to my children and family? I don't want the kids to sleep in a cold house. And I dont' want to miss Mass. As I said in another post, I ended up being able to go to Mass, the reapir guy is on his way over rigth now, but I jsut feel like if I HAD gone to Mass and rescheduled him for tomorrow and my kids woke up in the middle of the night because they were too cold to sleep, I would feel that I was an irresponsible parent.

And, with the painting, my mother was VERY specific that she was ONLY taking the kids so that I could get the painting done and that, if the painting weren't finished, she wouldn't be watching the kids again and she would be very upset. (She really doesn't care for the grandkids, but she'll watch them if I beg enough ) So, on the one hand, I have an obligation to Mass, but on the other hand, I have an obligation to keep my promises to my mom.

i think of all these other situations, too...I was helping a friend move. I agreed to help do 'first shift' early in the morning, and other friends of hers were supposed to come later. I was very clear at the outset, that she could have me all day except for during Mass. Well, the people who were supposed to help after me didn't show up and I knew she had to return the moving truck she got, so I could have left her with no help for her to move, or stay and help her move. I chose to stay. Again, I would have MUCH rather gone to Mass than to help her move, but I just didn't feel it was right to leave her without help. So, see, it's just situations like that...if I had gone to Mass I would have felt like I did a very un-christian thing by walking away from someone who needed my help, and of course missing Mass is very un-christian, too!! Ugh!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:14 am
benedictgal benedictgal is offline
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2007
Posts: 11,407
Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillenborg View Post
No. I also don't think it would be okay to tell him that I missed Mass because my children were crabby, or because the furnace broke, or because I'm a flake and didn't realize Mass was at a different time. However, these are things that do happen, so I guess I'm just wondering from people here on this board, if your kids are acting up, do you skip Mass? I don't like to miss Mass, but then again, I don't like spending the entirety of Mass scolding my children. If you were waiting for a furnace repairman would you skip Mass, or just have everyone sleep in a chilly house that night and have him come out the next day (honestly, I worry more about the kids' room than ours. Those two spin in their sleep and never keep blankets on!!)? And, regarding the painting - my mother only grudgingly watches the kids. If she dropped them off and saw the room WASN'T finished, she would have flipped, and she wouldn't watch the kids again until the room was finished.
None of these are particularly stellar reasons for missing Mass, and, again, I enjoy Mass. But, I guess what I wonder is missing Mass for these reasons still a mortal sin?
The most important commandment is the first one: loving God. This means that He needs to come first. Loving God also means making time to offer Him at least one hour of your time on Sundays (or late Saturday afternoon) by assisting at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

I do not want to sound judgmental, but, as I read your posts, you are making other things more important than God. Missing Mass is still a mortal sin if you do not have just cause. The reasons you gave are not sufficiently just cause for you to miss Mass. You complain about your children. However, when you presented each of your children to the Church for baptism, you made a vow that you would rear them according to the laws of Chist and His Church, the same promise that you made when you gave your consent to be married. Even if your children misbehave, they need to be exposed to the Faith. You are not doing them any favors by not assisting at Mass.

With all due respect, you need to rethink your priorities. You are making pleasing people, such as your mother, more important than pleasing and honoring God. You say that you love the Mass, but, your words and actions do not necessarily indicate this. Please, please go to confession as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:18 am
teachccd teachccd is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 22, 2004
Posts: 4,238
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillenborg View Post

But, I guess what I wonder is missing Mass for these reasons still a mortal sin?
I believe that each reason should be discerned separately and discussed with your confessor. Only you, with the guidance of a confessor, can determine the gravity of this sin (if indeed it is a sin for that particular circumstance). We cannot examine the state of your soul here on a forum but we can say that Mass should be the priority in your life since it is the highest form of Christian worship. Mass is where we can enter into heaven on earth and where we can present ourselves at the greatest Sacrifice offered for humankind.

So are your reasons those that could constitute mortal sin? Perhaps but that is between you and God. When people come to these forums asking whether this or that is a mortal sin I have to ask myself whether or not they understand the true concept of mortal sin. Mortal sin is a rejection of God given the three requirements stated through the Church. Full consent is one of those requirements and no one here on a forum can estimate the amount of consent that one might give to a particular choice. See your confessor and ponder what I have given you as to what the Mass actually is. Then you will be fully equipped to make a decision each Sunday as to whether or not you will attend Mass. Your question is probably one of the most common questions regarding Mass attendance. I teach many classes and hear all of the reasons why some do not go to Mass and most of those reasons can be resolved to allow for Mass attendance. Sometimes we just need to search a little deeper............ teachccd
__________________
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:19 am
Philomeena Philomeena is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 3, 2005
Posts: 182
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

I have to chuckle in sympathy about the kids acting up. I don't know why but it seems that my kids always act up on the way to mass-and I usually end up losing patience with them. I would NEVER get to mass if it depended on our behavior as a family.

I can completely understand your dilemma. I have been there. Then one Sunday, I was whining about my back hurting and I decided to stay home. I felt justified and may have been, technically speaking. When my family got home I asked who they saw and one of the people who made it to mass was a parishioner who was undergoing chemo for his terminal illness. He was weak, pale, bald, nauseous, but he was there. At that point, of course I felt guilty and terrible, but more importantly, I had to ask myself why it was so easy for things to interfere with or be an excuse for me attending mass.

I had to do some soul searching and ask myself what my role is as part of the body of Christ... It was a process, and now, it is pretty rare that there is ever anything interferes with mass attendance. And, to be honest, mass is never at a "convenient time" but I have decided to trust that God will take me as I am-cranky, tired, distracted, whatever. Also, I stopped looking at the "legalities" of missing mass and just decided to attend out of love and need.

I am not saying that you are like me, or need to work on anything. I am just sharing my experience, because I really related to what you are going through.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:21 am
mike52ad's Avatar
mike52ad mike52ad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 7, 2004
Posts: 109
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Scott Hahn teaches that when we are at Mass a veil is removed and everyone there is in heaven. The Mass is not only an obligation but an opportunity.

Cranky kids? Furnace repairs? I would discipline the kids and tell the furnace man to come later.

You are very fortunate to be in a parish where the lines for confession are an hour long. Here at least you can go if you can arrange for a sitter for the kids even if you are in line for an hour - what a great time to relax, meditate and prepare yourself to receive God's mercy. And yes, I would talk to Father to see what he says about your concerns about missing Mass.

Peace to you and your family.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:31 am
rwillenborg rwillenborg is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2008
Posts: 624
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedictgal View Post
The most important commandment is the first one: loving God. This means that He needs to come first. Loving God also means making time to offer Him at least one hour of your time on Sundays (or late Saturday afternoon) by assisting at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

I do not want to sound judgmental, but, as I read your posts, you are making other things more important than God. Missing Mass is still a mortal sin if you do not have just cause. The reasons you gave are not sufficiently just cause for you to miss Mass. You complain about your children. However, when you presented each of your children to the Church for baptism, you made a vow that you would rear them according to the laws of Chist and His Church, the same promise that you made when you gave your consent to be married. Even if your children misbehave, they need to be exposed to the Faith. You are not doing them any favors by not assisting at Mass.

With all due respect, you need to rethink your priorities. You are making pleasing people, such as your mother, more important than pleasing and honoring God. You say that you love the Mass, but, your words and actions do not necessarily indicate this. Please, please go to confession as soon as possible.
Well, my husband doesn't want the kids baptized and we were not married in the church. I was baptized as a baby, went to first communion and there was no more church after that. It's only recently that I have rediscovered the Catholic faith and am working my way back into it.
Again, though, how would you balance these priorities? When the kids wake up crying because they're cold, I don't know how I could feel that I did them any favors in that instance either.
Believe it or not, I really am looking for an excuse TO go to Mass! It's just, I have people on all sides, husband and family included who are telling me that I am crazy for putting Mass ahead of things like providing a warm environment for the kids, and I'm feeling very torn.
Thank you, and I was able to talk to the priest a few minutes before Mass today, and he heard my confession, and everything was fine, but again, I am torn as to how to behave if these future circumstances arise again.
How can I look a friend in the face and say 'I have to go to Mass right now' when she so clearly needs me helping her? I just struggle with this sort of stuff. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jan 24, '10, 9:36 am
Onegin's Avatar
Onegin Onegin is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 17, 2009
Posts: 689
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is a valid reason for missing Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillenborg View Post
So, if it were you, you would just reschedule the furnace repairman for the following day and hope the kids didn't get too cold in the night?
I'm not trying to ask a leading or tricky question or anything - the furnace repair guy ended up being able to come out later, so I actually just returned from Mass, but I still wonder, if he hadn't been able to come out later, should I have skipped Mass?
On the one hand, I have an obligation to the Lord. On the other hand, I also have an obligation to provide for a warm sleeping environment for my children. We're having an unseasonably warm day today, but it'll be in the 10s tonight.

Likewise, with the children when they're crabby. I still have an obligation to go to Mass, but I think the other people there would much prefer I keep the kids at home when they're like that, I'm sure.

And, likewise, what about when the kids just got over an illness? Daycare wants them to be fever free for 24 hours before bringing them to daycare. I apply that rule just generally. Kids need to be fever free for 24 hours before I take them anywhere since they could still be contagious. But, is that a valid reason to miss Mass? That my kids just got over a fever? Again, I understand my obligation to the Mass, but I also feel an obligation to keep children who might be infectious away from the other kids in the cry room.

For example, on those days when the kids have been crabby and I HAVE taken them to Mass, I come home regretting it, saying 'Everyone would have had a much nicer time at Mass if I had stayed home'. And on the days that I DO stay home from Mass, I think to myself, 'I really should have gone'. I just want to make a decision and be happy with it, y'know?
This may sound really trite (I don't mean it to) but one solution is to just go to Mass and pray for the graces to deal with these various situations as they occur. Like the poor woman in Scripture who gave her last coins to the Church, sometimes we just need to have faith that, if we do the right thing, God will give us the graces to handle the rest.
__________________
Fiat voluntas tua.

"Who except God can give you peace? Has the world ever been able to satisfy the heart?"
-St. Gerard Majella
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8547Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Eungang
5208CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4435Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3871SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3848Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3409Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3302Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3155For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Paulette60



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:28 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.