Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 25, '10, 8:42 pm

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
Send a message via AIM to Lazerlike42
Default Use of Baptismal Candle After Baptism

I am running a religious ed program and I have a teacher who, for a class on baptism, wishes to have her students bring in their baptismal candles, go over to the church, and light them in remembrance of their baptism 9assuming any of them even still have the things!). She is very concerned about whether or not this is an acceptable thing to do.

Does anybody know whether or not there are any problems with this? I am fairly knowledgeable about Liturgical rubrics and regulations, and I've never heard of any that really have much to do with the baptismal candle. Has anyone else? This woman really wants to see something official from somewhere which gives it sanction in some way.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, '10, 9:03 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Use of Baptismal Candle After Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerlike42 View Post
I am running a religious ed program and I have a teacher who, for a class on baptism, wishes to have her students bring in their baptismal candles, go over to the church, and light them in remembrance of their baptism 9assuming any of them even still have the things!). She is very concerned about whether or not this is an acceptable thing to do.

Does anybody know whether or not there are any problems with this? I am fairly knowledgeable about Liturgical rubrics and regulations, and I've never heard of any that really have much to do with the baptismal candle. Has anyone else? This woman really wants to see something official from somewhere which gives it sanction in some way.

Thanks!
We encourage parents who are preparing for the Baptism of their children to light the candle on special occasions: anniversary of their Baptism, First Communion dinner, etc. For that reason, we show them the candles the parish provides (nicely decorated tapers that wouldn't last for more than a few dinners) and let them know that if they wish to provide a more substantial one to use during the Baptism they are welcome to do so. I know I've used 3x9" beeswax pillars to make my friends' kids' baptismal candles so that they'd have something that could see them through many anniversaries and sacraments.

I've seen the candles used during the confirmation ceremony, lit when the children renewed their baptismal promises. I see nothing wrong with having the students light their candles in the Church in remembrance.

I'd be prepared for many not to know where their candles are.
Old Jan 25, '10, 9:13 pm
Forum Master

I have my children's candles saved with other rememberances of thier Baptisms. So, I know where they are. But I wouldn't send them to CCE. I would worry that it wouldn't come back or would get broken or something.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Jan 25, '10, 10:42 pm
Prayer Warrior

When I baptized my oldest child, the god parents told us the candle was to be used for baptism, confirmation, there wedding, and funeral ceremony....so I now have three baptism candles(one for each) so that they can use the same candle. I also teach CCD and I would suggest to the catechisist to bring her own candles for lesson, I don't know if I to would be comfortable with asking students to bring something so precious and fragile to school.( The candle lit the way to Christ at there baptism)
Old Jan 25, '10, 10:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
I have my children's candles saved with other remembrances of their Baptisms. So, I know where they are. But I wouldn't send them to CCE. I would worry that it wouldn't come back or would get broken or something.
Agreed. I wouldn't let my kids bring their candles to religious ed either (for the same reasons). You only get baptized once, and there's only one baptismal candle.
Old Jan 26, '10, 4:57 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

ts a lovely idea, but I wouldn't let my children bring theirs either. Not having the wisdom to supply my own, they just have a regular slender taper that would be too easily broken or burnt down too fast. Also it would be too easy for the kids to get the candles mixed up.

I can also see how the pastor could object to children carrying un-shielded lit candles in the church. Without enough adult supervision that could be very dangerous!
Old Jan 26, '10, 7:07 pm
Forum Master

This is the candle I did up for my friend's son:
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Suzanne/Pictures/Baptismal%20candle.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baptismal candle.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	7296  
Old Jan 26, '10, 7:17 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavens Flowers View Post
When I baptized my oldest child, the god parents told us the candle was to be used for baptism, confirmation, there wedding, and funeral ceremony....so I now have three baptism candles(one for each) so that they can use the same candle. I also teach CCD and I would suggest to the catechisist to bring her own candles for lesson, I don't know if I to would be comfortable with asking students to bring something so precious and fragile to school.( The candle lit the way to Christ at there baptism)
I agree, except the candle is part of the actual rite only for baptism

also I am not going to take a class of 2nd graders (or 7th graders, even worse) to church and start letting them doing anything involving candles.

the trouble is if you ask the kids to bring their baptismal candles, the parents will think they have to go out and buy one, and they are hideously expensive, the big decorated ones, and at least down here, that is what parents would buy

better bet is to suggest in a letter to parents that IF they still have the child's baptismal candle they can light in on special occasions, holy days, birthday, baptismal anniversary etc., or have a craft to make "candles"
Old Jan 26, '10, 8:53 pm

In the part of Mexico where my mom grew up she told me they light the baptismal candle when it rains, I don't know why .
Old Jan 27, '10, 1:01 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicLife View Post
In the part of Mexico where my mom grew up she told me they light the baptismal candle when it rains, I don't know why .
When it rains or when there's thunder? I know that, back when I was a child, at the first clap of thunder out came the blessed candles and holy water. The holy water was a sprinkled everywhere and a blessed candle burned until the storm was over.
Old Jan 28, '10, 4:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavens Flowers View Post
I love that idea. My (also three) daughters' baptismal candles made it through each of their First Communions (briefly lit during prayers for the child at home before we went off to church and then put away), but, unfortunately, storage was unkind and they all melted before Confirmations -- let alone the weddings. So Heavens Flowers, do be sure you are storing them in a cool area, and wrapped in archival paper.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments