Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 29, '10, 4:18 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Is this true? (About the Third Eye)

A long time ago, when I was in highschool, my classmates told me that playing guessing games frequently (like you trying to guess which hand has the ball and stuff) are a way of opening your Third Eye.

Personally I'm in no way intending of opening of that thing. (I'm not sure my feeble heart can take the sight of ghosts >_>;; ). The problem though is I'm playing a trading card game that involves a whole lot of guessing. You see one aspect of this game has me trying to pick which cards to send to the discard pile but they're face down and the one thing I hate is when I pick one card only to find it to be an utterly insignificant one and the next turn my opponent flips up the one right next to it and floors me with it. >_<;;

Then there's the games booster packs. I sort of like to "feel out" the packs and take my time deciding which to pick. It's a habit I guess (probably born from my desperation to get rare cards ).

Still, what my classmates told me sorta had me wondering. Am I (intentionally or not) opening my Third Eye this way?

I mean I haven't seen any ghosts or anything but eh, I can't tell with these things ya know.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Jan 29, '10, 4:50 am

Religion: Amateur Catholic
Default Re: Is this true? (About the Third Eye)

I wouldn't give it much thought, LW. Be secure in knowing that the Church teaches that there is only one Ghost, and He is holy. Conversely, She doesn't teach anything about a '3rd Eye' much less what such a non-existent thing might bring to you even if it were opened.

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.
Old Jan 29, '10, 7:16 am

Religion: One Holy CATHOLIC and Apostolic

sounds like vain superstition to me, I also wouldnt worry about it much. Just watch out for occult things like Ouija boards and stuff like that.
Old Jan 29, '10, 7:19 am
Banned

Religion: CAPITAL CEE CATHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylites View Post
I wouldn't give it much thought, LW. Be secure in knowing that the Church teaches that there is only one Ghost, and He is holy. Conversely, She doesn't teach anything about a '3rd Eye' much less what such a non-existent thing might bring to you even if it were opened.
And someone in the infernal regions would get in on the act. Requesting hidden knowledge. You`d be asking for trouble.

Don`t play with that sort of fire; you`d get more than your fingers burnt. And you could have forever to rue it.

Last edited by SunnaB16; Jan 29, '10 at 7:34 am.
Old Jan 29, '10, 5:14 pm

What is a "third eye"? Is this a cultural term for what we call ESP? I never heard the term.
Old Jan 29, '10, 6:34 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Yeah I guess you're right. I'm just making sure that I won't be doing yet another thing that might get religious people to jump on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Catholic View Post
What is a "third eye"? Is this a cultural term for what we call ESP? I never heard the term.
I believe so. They always do these things in paranormal research stuff where they have a potential ESP-gifted person try to guess what card they're holding up. Given the game I play, it's exactly like that (plus the strategy of course).

New blog

Old Jan 30, '10, 5:09 am
Prayer Warrior

There is no such thing as a "third eye." Any psychic "ability" like you're describing most likely comes from the demons.
Old Jan 30, '10, 5:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Catholic View Post
In specific terms, it relates to the 'ajna chakra' of Eastern mystical traditions. When the ajna chakra is activated, one is in a state of illumination, gazing directly at God. That condition imparts knowledge and powers of all kinds.

New Age writers and thinkers take and twist that idea into a drive for worldly endeavors. Anyone who has truly had their ajna chakra activated won't trade in illumination for parlor tricks and political power.

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.
Old Jan 30, '10, 5:34 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycmarie View Post
There is no such thing as a "third eye." Any psychic "ability" like you're describing most likely comes from the demons.
I don't see how that answers my question. Does playing guessing games a form of gaining psychic ability? I mean really. Why do paranormal researchers test supposed "psychics" by asking them what card they're holding up?

New blog

Old Jan 30, '10, 6:09 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Wanderer View Post
I don't see how that answers my question. Does playing guessing games a form of gaining psychic ability? I mean really. Why do paranormal researchers test supposed "psychics" by asking them what card they're holding up?
That depends on your intention. If you are just playing a guessing game, that sounds pretty benign to me. But if you're doing it with the intention of "gaining psychic ability," then you are opening yourself up to spiritual problems.
Old Jan 30, '10, 6:23 pm

This is absolutely untrue. People have been making claims about all kinds of psychic/magical abilities for a very long time, and they have never been able to provide any evidence of it.

There is no such thing as a Third Eye, ESP, or any other kind of psychic or magical powers. If it existed, we'd know about it by now, and it would be testable and measurable.
Old Jan 30, '10, 9:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
This is absolutely untrue. People have been making claims about all kinds of psychic/magical abilities for a very long time, and they have never been able to provide any evidence of it.

There is no such thing as a Third Eye, ESP, or any other kind of psychic or magical powers. If it existed, we'd know about it by now, and it would be testable and measurable.
Why would you think that you would know about it? Perhaps those with psychic abilities neither want nor need your approval.

Old Jan 30, '10, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Wanderer View Post
A long time ago, when I was in highschool, my classmates told me that playing guessing games frequently (like you trying to guess which hand has the ball and stuff) are a way of opening your Third Eye.

Personally I'm in no way intending of opening of that thing. (I'm not sure my feeble heart can take the sight of ghosts >_>;; ). The problem though is I'm playing a trading card game that involves a whole lot of guessing. You see one aspect of this game has me trying to pick which cards to send to the discard pile but they're face down and the one thing I hate is when I pick one card only to find it to be an utterly insignificant one and the next turn my opponent flips up the one right next to it and floors me with it. >_<;;

Then there's the games booster packs. I sort of like to "feel out" the packs and take my time deciding which to pick. It's a habit I guess (probably born from my desperation to get rare cards ).

Still, what my classmates told me sorta had me wondering. Am I (intentionally or not) opening my Third Eye this way?

I mean I haven't seen any ghosts or anything but eh, I can't tell with these things ya know.
If you're only trying to hone any latent natural abilities you have, I don't think you could awaken your (nonexistent) third eye. If you're trying to get some occult ability, you could awaken something a lot more destructive. You're not looking for the help of the evil one, are you?

It sounds fairly harmless to me. Also sounds like you're not have much success

But seriously, are these trading cards any kind of tarot cards or does the game involve the occult in any way? Are any of the people you play with leaning in that direction? Even a fairly 'innocent' contact with that sort of thing is very dangerous. The fact that you ask the question makes me wonder if you sense there's something more going on here. If so, listen to your instincts and be strong enough to walk away from it no matter how much it interests you.

Does a dyslexic atheist refuse to believe in dog??
Old Jan 30, '10, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Why would you think that you would know about it? Perhaps those with psychic abilities neither want nor need your approval.
Right, except that any time someone claims to have magical abilities they are debunked by skeptics. Look up James Randi, he has been offering a million dollar challenge to anyone with paranormal abilities who is able to demonstrate them in a controlled environment. Not to mention that he, and professional "magicians" (the tricks and entertainment kind) have been replicating and topping "paranormal" results.

I guess it is possible that somewhere out there, someone has true magical abilities and his hiding them. However, I think it's more likely that aliens are abducting people.
Old Jan 30, '10, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
Right, except that any time someone claims to have magical abilities they are debunked by skeptics. Look up James Randi, he has been offering a million dollar challenge to anyone with paranormal abilities who is able to demonstrate them in a controlled environment. Not to mention that he, and professional "magicians" (the tricks and entertainment kind) have been replicating and topping "paranormal" results.

I guess it is possible that somewhere out there, someone has true magical abilities and his hiding them. However, I think it's more likely that aliens are abducting people.
Again, who would trade illumination for parlor tricks and political powers? Just because no one comes forward to claim 30 pieces of silver (or even a million dollars) is not a reason in itself to dismiss its possible existence. It might just mean that a million dollars pales in comparison to what would be lost in claiming the supposed prize of fame.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality