Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 29, '10, 4:54 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default The Relationship between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Church

So, whats so different about us? Can a Catholic receive Eucharist at an Orthodox church, or could a Catholic and an Orthodox person marry?

Also, there's like a differentiation between Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic right? Like, Eastern Orthodox is it's own thing while "Eastern Catholic" refers to churches that aren't "Roman" catholic but are in full communion with the pope?

Thanks,
Snakemauler
Old Jan 29, '10, 5:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: The Relationship between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Church

Catholics and Orthodoxy intermarry all the time.

Because of the different theologies about who ministers the Mystery--Orthodoxy teaches that it is conferred by the Priest upon the couple--it is preferred that such marriages take place in the Orthodox Church, with the Catholic bishop's dispensation.

Catholics normally cannot receive the Eucharist in Orthodox Churches, unless separated from ministry of their own church.

Yes, Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches are two different families of Churches.
Old Jan 29, '10, 6:09 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church
Default Re: The Relationship between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeMauler View Post
So, whats so different about us?
Mostly terminology, but some differences in the understanding of the nature of bishops and synods. The Oriental Orthodox have a slightly different understanding of the nature of Christ, but not sufficiently different as to be heretical by Catholic understanding at present.

There are 3 major "communions" - unions of churches with self-governance of some kind - the Catholic, The Eastern Orthodox, and the Oriental Orthodox.

The Catholics are of several Rites: Roman, Byzantine (aka Constanopolitan, Greek Catholic), West Syrian/Antiochian, East Syrian/Eddessan, Armenian, Alexandrian (aka Coptic)
The Eastern Orthodox are of two rites: Byzantine and Byzanto-Roman.
The Oriental Orthodox include Alexandrian, Armenian, and East Syrian rites. They are headed by Pope Shenouda of Alexandria, Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

The Jacobite Churches include both Syrian rites, but I don't know that they count as a formal communion. They are present in Syria and India.

Quote:
Can a Catholic receive Eucharist at an Orthodox church,
In exceptional circumstances, yes. Part of those include permission from the pastor of the orthodox parish.

Quote:
or could a Catholic and an Orthodox person marry?
Generally, Yes, but generally, it must be done in the Orthodox parish. It isn't advised, but is permitted.

Some Orthodox jurisdictions do not permit it, however.

Quote:
Also, there's like a differentiation between Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic right? Like, Eastern Orthodox is it's own thing while "Eastern Catholic" refers to churches that aren't "Roman" catholic but are in full communion with the pope?

Thanks,
Snakemauler
The Eastern Catholics are the 22 Churches sui iuris that are in full communion with the pope, and act as part of the synod of the Catholic Church, while retaining self governing status as churches, called Churches Sui Iuris.

Byzantine Rite Catholics and Greek Catholics (14 churches sui iuris) (the terms are synonyms, as is Greek Rite Catholic) are generally portions of the Eastern Orthodox Churches which left the Eastern Orthodox communion and joined the Catholic Communion. 1 has no orthodox counterpart (Italo-Albanian GCC), 1 has an orthodox counterpart that is a schism from the Catholic (The ACROD split from the Ruthenian GCC); the rest have parallels from the time of their split. Two have no hierarchs (Russian and one other).

Other Eastern Catholics (7 churches sui iuris) are of other Eastern Rites, and most have non-Catholic Parallel churches. Some, the majority synod is the Catholic; others the majority synod is the non-catholic.

The Chaldeans (Catholic Communion) are parallel to the Assyrian Church of the East (Oriental Orthodox Communion)

The Syro-Malabar and Syro-Malankar Catholic Churches have parallel Syriac churches and protestant churches using the same liturgical rites.

The Syrian Catholic and Syrian Orthodox churches parallel.

The Coptic Catholic Church split off from the Coptic Orthodox Church.

The Ethiopian Catholic Church parallels the Ethiopian Tehwado Orthodox and the Eritrean Orthodox.

The Armenian Catholics and the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox have an unusual relationship; the Armenian Catholics are in full communion with the other Catholic Churches, but are, as a practical matter, still in communion with their parent Armenian Apostolic Orthodox. Deacons assisting across church boundaries are common; priestly concelebration happens with patriarchal tacit approval. Hierarchical concelebration doesn't seem to happen...

The Maronite Catholics have no parallel church.
Old Jan 29, '10, 8:10 pm

Religion: Catholic

Thanks for the info guys... It's pretty complicated stuff. Why couldn't our anscestors stay together so we'd all be one church I get lost in all this terminology.
Old Jan 29, '10, 11:59 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys... It's pretty complicated stuff. Why couldn't our anscestors stay together so we'd all be one church I get lost in all this terminology.
Simplified: Eastern Catholic Churches as a generality have direct parallels with the same traditions & liturgical forms in some form of Orthodoxy.

And each of the churches developed autonomously, based upon the local culture and what the apostles and local bishops who taught in the region had emphasized.

Each Church has its own version of liturgy, often still near identical with its parallel on the other side... because most came into existence as Catholic "unitates" between 1700 and 1950. Some go back a LOT further.
Old Jan 30, '10, 6:30 am

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
The Catholics are of several Rites: Roman, Byzantine (aka Constanopolitan, Greek Catholic), West Syrian/Antiochian, East Syrian/Eddessan, Armenian, Alexandrian (aka Coptic)
Somehow, I think the Ethiopians would take exception to being referred to as Coptic. Alexandrene, yes, Coptic, no.

Quote:
The Oriental Orthodox include Alexandrian, Armenian, and East Syrian rites.
Not exactly. The Oriental Orthodox include Alexandrene, Armenian, and West Syriac. As far as I know, the East Syriac (ACoE) is not formally considered "Oriental Orthodox" and never has been.

Quote:
They are headed by Pope Shenouda of Alexandria, Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church.
Since when? I'm sure that HH Zakka I, among others, would be thrilled to hear this.

Quote:
The Jacobite Churches include both Syrian rites, but I don't know that they count as a formal communion. They are present in Syria and India.
What?

Quote:
The Syrian Catholic and Syrian Orthodox churches parallel.
The preferred term in English is Syriac. This is so in order to remove any question about the involvement of a political state.
Old Jan 30, '10, 6:47 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Quote:
So, whats so different about us? Can a Catholic receive Eucharist at an Orthodox church, or could a Catholic and an Orthodox person marry?

Thanks,
Snakemauler
A Catholic can receive the Eucharist at an Orthodox Church, but in most circumstances I'd say good luck in trying to find an Orthodox priest who will adminster communion to you if he knows you are Catholic. He's quite right to refuse to as well as he is acting within the disciplines of his Church. There ARE occassions when the Orthodox will administer communion. Inter-communion occurs in the middle-east due to the pressure and persecution Catholics and Orthodox are under.

I am married to a member of the Russian Orthodox Church myself, although sadly I probably know more about the Church than my wife due to the appalling persecution of the Russian Orthodox Church in the last century. Priests in the UK (and I beliieve America) often advise Catholics intermarrying to marry in an Orthodox Church. This is done generally because the Catholic Church will recognise the sacramental nature of the marriage in an Orthodox Church but the reverse is not true should a member of an Orthodox Church marry in a Catholic Church. Indeed doing so carries heavy penalties for the Orthodox partner. Also, some concern by the American Bishops about the wiping out of the Orthodox faithful in some areas via constant inter-marriage was an issue in this.

I know our parish priest when asked about inter-marriage had absolutely no problems with it. Then again my wife and I were both in our 30's when married and had known each other for several years before that point. Each situation would be likely to be judged on it's own merits. I have had a few (a very few it must be said) less than charitable remarks from both Catholics and some Orthodox but they represent only themselves ultimately and I do not take their attitudes to impugn the truth present in both Churches.

More humourous was explaining what Orthodoxy was to elderly aunties etc. as it was outside their experience of life as they came from small rural towns and villages.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism