Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 29, '10, 6:32 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Eating no meat on Fridays

Can someone tell me if not eating meat on a Friday was a man made rule or not. I thought it had some basis in scripture, but can't remember where that might be. Thanks.
Old Jan 29, '10, 8:53 pm

Default Re: Eating no meat on Fridays

Friday fasting is a Church imposed discipline. As Catholics, we believe Christ gave the apostles the power of binding and loosing on earth, so the Church is within it's rights to impose certain disciplines on it's members. There is nothing explicit in scripture about fasting on friday, although there are certainly references to fasting in a general sense. Since we are not sola scriptura believing protestants, there isn't really a disconnect between what's in the bible and Church tradition. They go together.It's the same as the Church saying it's a mortal sin to miss mass on Sundays. Nothing in the bible about that, but the Church says it's a sin, so that's what we're bound to believe.
Old Jan 29, '10, 9:05 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Orthodox Catholic (in communion with Constantinople)
Send a message via Yahoo to josephdaniel29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomProphet View Post
Can someone tell me if not eating meat on a Friday was a man made rule or not. I thought it had some basis in scripture, but can't remember where that might be. Thanks.
This is from the Didache, dated to around the end of the first or beginning of the second century. I know it's not Scripture but it was composed just after the last Apostle died.

8:1 But as for your fasts, let them not be with the hypocrites, for they fast on the second and fifth days of the week, but do ye fast on the fourth and sixth days.

Yours in Christ
Joe
Old Jan 29, '10, 9:16 pm

Religion: Lutheran, beginning classes to become Catholic

Should we abstain from meat on Wednesdays as well?
Old Jan 29, '10, 9:24 pm

Religion: Catholic

In the pre VII tradition and for those who apply it today abstain from meat all year round on Friday with the exception of major feast days like St Patrick's, Christmas, New Years et cetera. Today you're only required to abstain on Fridays of Lent. If you want to go traditional abstain and fast on Fridays, Ember days and Rogation days. Pretty Interesting! The custom of fasting and abstinence comes from Jesus himself. He fasted for 40 days in the desert. When fasting he says to be humble about it and not to brag because God recognizes everyone and their works.

A Good and fruitful Lent for all as we enter the season of the gesima Sundays, carnival, mardi gras.....
Old Jan 29, '10, 11:02 pm
Banned

I believe that if any Catholic, even one who does not consider himself "traditional", omits to abstain from meat on Friday (except of course on the solemnities), a substitute penance is required. The problem is that I'm too tired right now to look that up in the Code of Canon Law.

But I have it on the authority of a priest who did look it up that the dispensation from the Friday abstinence only gets you out of that specific form of penance... you're still required to do something for our Lord on Friday.
Old Jan 30, '10, 6:35 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

That is correct. A substitute penance is required. As a diabetic, I cannot fast on fast days (e.g. Good Friday) so I do other things.

Down here in Louisiana fasting from meat on Fridays has never been a real hardship. We have always been told from the pulpit that we should spend extra time in prayer or turn off the TV for the day, etc.
Old Jan 30, '10, 6:52 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherhrolf View Post
Down here in Louisiana fasting from meat on Fridays has never been a real hardship.
Not when you have the best shrimp creole I've ever tasted in my life.
Old Jan 30, '10, 7:41 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopersenior View Post
Should we abstain from meat on Wednesdays as well?
Orthodox and Eastern Christians, including Eastern Catholics do so, except at certain times, like this past week, which is fast free.
Old Jan 30, '10, 5:39 pm

Send a message via MSN to adstrinity Send a message via Yahoo to adstrinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
Orthodox and Eastern Christians, including Eastern Catholics do so, except at certain times, like this past week, which is fast free.
What was so important about this past week?
Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution of all problems. Catholicism is the truth, and everything that departs from it one iota, is disorder, deception, and error. - Juan Donoso Cortes
Old Jan 30, '10, 7:07 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Fridays and Wednesdays were how it used to be. I try to do both. Now, I'm pretty sure it's only required on Fridays. If you don't fast, you have to substitute a penance.
Old Jan 31, '10, 7:02 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomProphet View Post
The explanation is that Christ gave up his flesh (life) for us on a Friday, so we give up flesh (meat from warm-blooded animals and birds) on Friday as an acknowledgment of that. So no, there isn't a specific verse in the Bible that says "don't eat meat on Fridays", but as PadraigPearce says, we are not a 'sola scriptura' church.

This practice is a discipline and those can change. Right now, we are not required to abstain except on Fridays during lent; however, we are required to observe some form of penance on every Friday. That can be abstaining from meat, or anything else appropriate to your station in life. We should abstain from a good and not avoid doing something we shouldn't anyway and then call it penance. So saying we are going to give up a second dessert isn't exactly what the Bishops had in mind! lol
Old Jan 31, '10, 7:06 pm

Fascinating post - educational.
I grew up pre-Vatican II and thought I knew my Baltimore Catechism, etc. I used to hear about Church rules (even before Vatican II) which had been relaxed (i.e. fasting from midnight instead of three hours before receiving Holy Communion) but I'd not heard that you had to subsitute some form of penance in place of not eating meat. I'd gone back to my pre-Vatican II practices, trying - if nothing more than trying - not to eat meat on Fridays any time during the year but in the knowledge it wasn't a sin, if I didn't, except for Lent. I didn't know about Wednesdays.
Old Feb 1, '10, 6:35 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic

I usually say an extra rosary or reflect on the mysteries of the rosary (per Fr Levis) if I have to pull a 24 at the firehouse on Fridays.

There was actually another thread on here about it and I posted the USCCB link on the subject:

http://www.usccb.org/dpp/penitential.htm

'Ad Jesu Per Mariam' - 'to Jesus through Mary'.

Last edited by CatholicFireman; Feb 1, '10 at 6:45 pm.
Old Feb 1, '10, 7:28 pm
Forum Supporter

Canon law states that all Catholics must abstain from meat every Friday on pain of sin. This law may be modified by the Ecclesial Conferences of each country. The USCCB declared that for Catholics in America, Friday abstinence is voluntary rather than binding on pain of sin. They go on further to state that Friday remains a day of penance,and if you choose not to abstain, you should substitute another penitential act for abstinence. There are some differences of opinion on whether US Catholics are bound under pain of sin to perform a substitutionary penitential act if they choose not to abstain or if this is also voluntary.

http://jimmyakin.typepad.com/defenso...tomorrow_.html

This document describes some of the other penitential practices available to us:
http://www.usccb.org/dpp/penitential.htm

Here in Australia, we are only bound on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Abstinence on every other Friday, even those during Lent, is voluntary.

Tiber Swim Team
Class of 1980

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism