Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 5, '10, 8:35 pm
Trial Membership

Default I want to become a Catholic but I'm divorced.

Hello everyone, I'm sure this question has been asked many, many times on here. I'm probably not asking it in the right area of the site, so I apologize for that. I was raised Baptist and was married for 3 years to another Baptist. I was her second husband (she was divorced). She and I divorced (she committed adultery but I was a very bad alcoholic at that time, so I had major faults of my own as well). I want very badly to get back into church. Most of my family and friends are Catholic, and the Catholic Church appeals to me greatly. Can I become a Catholic even with this divorce in my past? Also, I have no plans on getting remarried and actually plan on living a celibate life.

Thanks so much in advance for your answers.
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:46 pm

Default Re: I want to become a Catholic but I'm divorced.

Someone more qualified will probably answer your question soon, but as far as I know, a single divorce will not keep you from becoming Catholic.

If you had remarried it would be an issue but since you haven't it's fine.

God bless you and welcome home
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to kib

Hi kcope, the Catholic Church does not forbid anyone from getting a civil divorce. The problem is that a divorce does not dissolve a valid marriage, making remarriage impossible.

Your best best would be to talk to a priest about your desire to enter the church, you shouldn't have any difficulties.

Welcome!
-Psalm 73:26
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcope View Post
Hello everyone, I'm sure this question has been asked many, many times on here. I'm probably not asking it in the right area of the site, so I apologize for that. I was raised Baptist and was married for 3 years to another Baptist. I was her second husband (she was divorced). She and I divorced (she committed adultery but I was a very bad alcoholic at that time, so I had major faults of my own as well). I want very badly to get back into church. Most of my family and friends are Catholic, and the Catholic Church appeals to me greatly. Can I become a Catholic even with this divorce in my past? Also, I have no plans on getting remarried and actually plan on living a celibate life.

Yes, you can become Catholic. There are many divorced Catholics who still attend church. Catholics who have remarried without getting a Decree of Nullity regarding their first marriages are not allowed to take communion. Regular unattached divorced Catholics can.
Old Feb 5, '10, 9:17 pm

Quote:

Wait -- if she was previously married and divorced, then the Church would say that your marriage was never really a marriage anyway (since she was still bound to the first husband). So essentially, you have always been single, and you are free to become Catholic. Obviously, a priest or RCIA person can help you verify these details.
Old Feb 5, '10, 10:08 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Since you were in a relationship with a previously married woman, the Catholic Church considers your marriage invalid and adultery. Even if you were divorced (and not remarried), it would not prevent you from entering the Church. The only way that you would be barred (without an annulment) is if you married a single, non-married woman and became divorced, and then remarried again.

If you have been baptized, you will have to confess this before reception into the Catholic Church. If you haven't, the baptism will absolve your sins.

Hope this helps.

http://belatedvocations.weebly.com
Old Feb 5, '10, 10:29 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic w/Celtic Catholic tendencies

Sorry for your problems. I hope you're in a much better emotional position now.

You could become Catholic. I believe your marriage was invalid. Please don't let a civil divorce stop you from pursuing the Church.

I was married in Church and have been separated/divorced for 12 years. I hadn't been involved with anyone sexually or romantically since my husband so I receive the sacraments. I'm a CCD teacher, and I still wear my wedding band and go by "Mrs." I was never treated with disrespect by anyone in the Church due to my situation.

My best friend was married in a civil ceremony because her husband was married in the Catholic Church 20 years ago and stayed with his wife only one year. He didn't pursue an annulment because of the cost. They've been legally married for 17 years. She is raising her child Catholic, and she takes him to Church regularly. She and her husband, however, cannot receive Communion because according to Church teachings, she is living in sin. According to the Church, he is still married to his first wife and he and my friend are committing adultery (hence, living in sin). So . . .

I'm divorced civilly but by respecting the fact that I am still married in the Eyes of God, I can receive the Sacraments. But my friend who is a married woman (by law, not by God) cannot receive the Sacraments. Every situation is different and somewhat personal.

Whatever you decide, my prayers are with you.

Christ's Blessings!

Blessed Irish Mom

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life