Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 8, '10, 4:50 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Why do my eggs crack open in the fridge?

Sorry for posting this in Family Life. My posts in the Water Cooler don't get as much traffic. And amazingly I was unable to find an answer on google! So, I'll buy a carton of eggs and put them in the fridge. A few days later, when I open the carton at least half of them are cracked and ruined. This happens every time. Lately I've only been getting 2-4 good eggs from a dozen.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it? My best guess is that my refrigerator may be too cold? It used to be much colder but my vegetables were freezing so I turned it down. Thought I turned it far enough, but maybe not? TIA

-ac

Old Feb 8, '10, 5:09 am

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Why do my eggs crack open in the fridge?

This used to happen to me all the time. I finally figured out my fridge was too cold. I turned down the temp and it still happened. So I just started putting my eggs in other parts of the fridge. For instance, my top shelf (at the very back of the shelf) will TOTALLY freeze things. So I make sure I put my eggs on one of the lower shelves or the door. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 8, '10, 5:12 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac claire View Post
Sorry for posting this in Family Life. My posts in the Water Cooler don't get as much traffic. And amazingly I was unable to find an answer on google! So, I'll buy a carton of eggs and put them in the fridge. A few days later, when I open the carton at least half of them are cracked and ruined. This happens every time. Lately I've only been getting 2-4 good eggs from a dozen.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it? My best guess is that my refrigerator may be too cold? It used to be much colder but my vegetables were freezing so I turned it down. Thought I turned it far enough, but maybe not? TIA
too cold, if your control is unreliable get a thermostat
do you find things in back like packages of lunchmeat are getting frost?
or you have the carton where people have to move it when they want to get something and they are shaking it
or they had microscopic cracks when you bought them which opened up as the carton got moved around.

or the door is opening and closing a lot, or does not close completely, and the fridge is working harder so it gets too cold in spots, check the seal around the door as well
Old Feb 8, '10, 7:24 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
too cold, if your control is unreliable get a thermostat
do you find things in back like packages of lunchmeat are getting frost?
or you have the carton where people have to move it when they want to get something and they are shaking it
or they had microscopic cracks when you bought them which opened up as the carton got moved around.

or the door is opening and closing a lot, or does not close completely, and the fridge is working harder so it gets too cold in spots, check the seal around the door as well
You don't really need to keep your eggs in the refrigerator. God designed them to stay in a chicken's nest for three weeks with no ill effects.

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Feb 8, '10, 8:01 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Francis View Post
You don't really need to keep your eggs in the refrigerator. God designed them to stay in a chicken's nest for three weeks with no ill effects.
When commercial eggs are washed, they loose the coating that protects them. After washing, they have to live in the fridge.

The OP - your fridge is too cold.
Old Feb 8, '10, 8:19 am

Quote:
Not so! If they were fertilized, then chicks will hatch in 3 weeks. if they were not fertilized, they will be rotten by the end of the 3 weeks!

It's not enough to be good; you need to show it. What would you say of a rose bush which produced only thorns?#735, Furrow - St. Josemaria Escriva
Old Feb 8, '10, 8:47 am

Quote:
No, God designed them to be fertilized, incubated, and hatched in 3 weeks. If you leave commercial eggs on your counter for 3 weeks are are inviting salmonella.

OP I agree, your fridge is too cold. We used to have this problem too. IIRC refergerators don't have thermostats, the temperature settings just tell the fridge how often to remove heat from the inside of the box. If your house is cooler, the fridge will be cooler. If it is warmer, your frige will be warmer. We have to adjust our fridge in the fall and spring for the rising and falling temperatures otherwise our eggs crack and veggies freeze in the winter, and all our food goes bad in the summer.
Old Feb 8, '10, 8:55 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
My husband told me that it's very common in some places (like Europe?) to keep eggs out of the fridge. Maybe it has something to do with how they're handled prior to shipping (like kage mentioned)? That would make sense. Do you keep your eggs out, St. Francis, and they're okay? That would be kinda neat.

Old Feb 8, '10, 9:00 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

IF you have chickens or know someone who has them and you can get fresh, unwashed eggs... you can coat them with oil and store them pointy side down (or up, I'll have to ask my food preservation expert friend) and they will last without refrigeration for a year.
Old Feb 8, '10, 9:45 am

Religion: Christian

While it is best to keep eggs cool and probably best in the fridge.... years ago when my kids were young teens, our fridge died. And I didn't have the cash for a new one. So we did without for a year. Eggs stayed on my counter for up to 2 weeks and we cooked them and ate them without ill effect. And while not having a fridge had it's drawbacks, it wasn't the big deal that most people would think it was.

Anyhow, to the OP, I agree, fridge is too cold! You might want to keep the eggs in the front of a shelf.
Old Feb 8, '10, 9:58 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage_ar View Post
IF you have chickens or know someone who has them and you can get fresh, unwashed eggs... you can coat them with oil and store them pointy side down (or up, I'll have to ask my food preservation expert friend) and they will last without refrigeration for a year.
Awesome.

Old Feb 8, '10, 6:17 pm
Book Club Member

Thanks for the replies. I turned my fridge temp down another notch and now I'm gonna keep the eggs on the shelf inside the door for good measure. Hopefully this'll take care of the problem!

-ac

Old Feb 8, '10, 6:35 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Those of us like myself who are WAY too familiar with the film 'Ghostbusters' are thinking

'right, the fridge is obviously a portal to Hell which is why the eggs are cooking in there ... if you start hearing a funny voice saying 'Zuul' that's a dead giveaway'

Those unfamiliar with the film won't have a clue what I'm on about - watch it, it's very funny.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Feb 8, '10, 7:04 pm

LilyM:

I was going to say something very similiar but chose not to, and then, here you are!

Great minds DO think alike.
Old Feb 8, '10, 7:21 pm

Send a message via AIM to turboEDvo

I know in my fridge, anything that I put on the top shelf to the back of the fridge freezes. Rest of the fridge is just fine. I presume that there is an insulation problem between the freezer and the fridge. Either way, might solve your problem...

Eamon

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life