Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 4, '05, 5:22 pm

Religion: catholic
Question My Grandson

My grandson is from a mixed relationship of a white mother and a black father. His mother is a non-practicing Catholic and his father is a christian I hope, but no known religion to us. They are not married and probably never will be. My grandson is 2 years old now and was baptised catholic. I have two questions.

1. What are the churches beliefs on mixed marriages? Is it ok or not?

2. Is he in any way hurt in God's eyes because of him being both white and black?

By the way, I couldn't love him anymore even if he was full white. I look at him and think "How could this be wrong, he is as perfect as any one could be".
Old Mar 4, '05, 5:28 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: My Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechtag
My grandson is from a mixed relationship of a white mother and a black father. His mother is a non-practicing Catholic and his father is a christian I hope, but no known religion to us. They are not married and probably never will be. My grandson is 2 years old now and was baptised catholic. I have two questions.

2. Is he in any way hurt in God's eyes because of him being both white and black?

By the way, I couldn't love him anymore even if he was full white. I look at him and think "How could this be wrong, he is as perfect as any one could be".
There's nothing wrong with mixed marriages at all. Race doesn't matter to the Church and of course it doesn't matter to God.
Old Mar 4, '05, 5:42 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechtag

if you mean by mixed marriage, a marriage between a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic, this is an impediment called a disparity of cult, and requires a dispensation, but can be done. but you indicate there is little prospect of marriage. If you mean an inter-racial marriage, or mixed race children, there is no Church prohibition. The Church did condemn situations where women have been forced into sexual acts with conquering soldiers of another race, as during the colonial period in the New World.

the most notable saint that comes to mind is Martin de Porres, child of a black mother and a Spanish father.

have you ever heard Jeff Cavins tell the story of how he adopted his daughters? beautiful and moving. he was counselling a grandfather who was troubled about a mixed race grandchild and spoke like you did of the great love for his children, the "I would die for you" kind of love.
Old Mar 4, '05, 7:05 pm

Religion: Catholic!

puzzleannie made a great point. The term "mixed marriages" in ecclesiological terminology refers to a marriage between a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic. The Church doesn't have a term for marriages between people of different races because that does not raise any ecclesiological/canonical issues. The Church does not make a distinction between people based on race.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting