Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 5, '05, 9:40 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via AIM to MGEISING
Default Catholic School vs Public School

Would love to hear both pro's and con's of your experiences of sending your children to Catholic vs Public school - most especially during Jr High (7-8 grades).
Old Mar 5, '05, 2:24 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic School vs Public School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGEISING
Would love to hear both pro's and con's of your experiences of sending your children to Catholic vs Public school - most especially during Jr High (7-8 grades).
I had my oldest two children in Catholic School during Junior High, and my youngest two in public school during Junior High. They all attended Catholic High School.
I think in a Catholic School the children have the same issues. The approaches that the teacher takes are different. The teachers can maintain more discipline. However my two that went to public school attended very good schools academically and they did well in Catholic High School. I observed more disrespect of authority in the public school. The children felt free to say more and dissent more. I found it to be sort of disgusting what the teachers put up with. I did attend some of the field trips, and I was a frequent visitor to the schools in all cases.
I think that children need more discipline than is allowed for in our public schools. The teachers then get disgusted and they talk sort of disrespectfully. I don't want to get into specifics, but this is only in my opinion. I don't really want my opinion corrected. I have been on some threads where people contradict someone's opinion. IT IS MY OPINION that Catholic schools do an overall better job on:
*discipline
*academics for most (some pblic schools do a better job of *advanced programming)
*incorporating God into the curiculuum
*giving appropriate homework and actually more of it (My son was never required to do a long paper in elementary public school)
*teacher involvement with students and parents
*teachers were more professional

Public schools usually have more sports, facitilites, field trips, music programs, nurses on staff, special education, and more teacher aides.

The expense of Catholic school I think sometimes makes all the parents more involved to make sure their kids are doing what they should be doing. There are exceptions to this for sure. Once again, this is my opinion looking back on my own personal experiences.
Old Mar 5, '05, 2:29 pm

Religion: Agnostic - I just don't know and don't think I can know.
Send a message via AIM to siamesecat

I turned down 2 good catholic schools to go to public. my parents were upset but are now actually glad. The only issue they have is that there is much more discipline at Catholic schools..the kids there are much more respectful. However, it doesnt say much for how the kids are out of school. In the state where I live a private school is now in trouble because a girl gave oral sex to four guys in the lockerroom, and because of several other related incidents. The private schools, the kids in general coming from wealthier families, are able to buy much more expensive drugs and some of the private boys schools havea big reputation for drug use. The private girls school I turned down I went there and the girls talked about boys constantly..having never been around them in school. People I know who go to the dances at this school say the girls from the private school are much more promiscuous and boy crazy. My opinion on private school is in the in school experience is more focused and the kids are in general smarter but no less wild or even more so and a lot snobbier.
Old Mar 5, '05, 2:36 pm

Thanks so much for your input .... we are currently deciding what we want to do --- Thanks for taking the time! IT is truly appreciated!
Old Mar 5, '05, 2:45 pm

Hi siamesecat:

I also went to Catholic School all my life, including college and I found my High School - that 40% of the girls were wild ... but it was an Academy - so the education was top notch.

My husband and I are trying to discern if our two daughters should go to Catholc JR High (their elementary school only goes until 6th grade).

The one thing I like about CAtholic schools is that Theology will be a subject. But the school isn't an academy ... so I think the public school would be better academically ... however, we aren't sure why we will do ... we have to come up with a list of pros and cons. Our publuc school is awesome from what we hear ... but we still worry about our final decision.

Thanks so much for the input ... and we live in NH - so I am aware of the sad story about the girl in the locker room ... wow ...

Have a great week!
Old Mar 5, '05, 2:54 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesecat
My opinion on private school is in the in school experience is more focused and the kids are in general smarter but no less wild or even more so and a lot snobbier.
I don't think the Catholic kids in my area are any more snobby than the public school kids. The homes and wealth that they come from are about equal. I can name instances in our public school system that would shock you also. We had teachers let go for having affairs with students at our local public school. We had an entire team's varsity players kicked off the team for drug use. I could go on and on. I know personally that there are kids in both systems that are promiscuous.

I will say that I want my kids in a system that talks about what is right and wrong, and is not passing out condoms to condone prematital sex. This will not erase all the problems that kids are faced with. It does however give them a chance to be educated on the dignity of the person and the reason that they should wait until marriage for sex. The public school mistakenly accepts that since some kids will have sex, then they will teach them all the methods of birth control.

The same old argument that Catholic school kids are rich and wild doesn't make it with me. I have seen it up close. I have seen rich and wild in public schools too. Yes, much can go wrong and some kids make poor choices from either school.
Old Mar 5, '05, 3:12 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

our kids attended parochial school for up to grades 8, 6 and 5, when we moved from the inner city to an affluent suburb in another state, reputed to have the best public schools in the state. The year we moved had to put the older ones in public school because only Catholic school within a 45 minute drive went up to grade 6 only. That year there were several drug arrests on the HS campus, plus arrests of city and county officials residing in our sub-division for sex offenses. Coach and choir director from HS arrested a few years later for abuse of minors. Investigated the two Catholic high schools that were possibilities, one headed by a nun who was also a founder and still is active in Call to Action, one affiliated with a so-called Catholic university and prestigious religious order which publicly repudiates the pope, his teaching, and employs openly gay profs. Year we moved two of the boys HS teachers were arrested for cruising gay bars in the city and soliciting under cover cops.

We pulled our youngest out of parochial school because of flagrantly un-Christian behavior by staff, teachers, administration and school board (which made national news at the time).

bottom line - labels "public" and "private" and "parochial" and "Catholic" are meaningless. Who is the administration? Who are the teachers, what are the textbooks, what is being taught, how do the people teaching your children conduct their lives, how is discipline carried out?
Get involved in your child's school, stay involved, know their teachers, know their friends, don't take anything for granted, and don't be fooled by a label like
"bishop somebody HS" or "all-American school award"
Old Mar 5, '05, 3:37 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie
We pulled our youngest out of parochial school because of flagrantly un-Christian behavior by staff, teachers, administration and school board (which made national news at the time).
Thank you for your post (and this thread). I, too, will be faced with this decision again in five years and it has been on my mind a lot. My wife works at a public school, but I want to do what is right by the Church.
Old Mar 5, '05, 3:55 pm

Hi puzzleannie:

Wow - your information speaks volumes --- and you are so very very right ... I shall share this with my husband ... thank you ... and you words ring so true!

Thank you,

Moe
Old Mar 5, '05, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
I don't think the Catholic kids in my area are any more snobby than the public school kids. The homes and wealth that they come from are about equal. I can name instances in our public school system that would shock you also. We had teachers let go for having affairs with students at our local public school. We had an entire team's varsity players kicked off the team for drug use. I could go on and on. I know personally that there are kids in both systems that are promiscuous.

I will say that I want my kids in a system that talks about what is right and wrong, and is not passing out condoms to condone prematital sex. This will not erase all the problems that kids are faced with. It does however give them a chance to be educated on the dignity of the person and the reason that they should wait until marriage for sex. The public school mistakenly accepts that since some kids will have sex, then they will teach them all the methods of birth control.

The same old argument that Catholic school kids are rich and wild doesn't make it with me. I have seen it up close. I have seen rich and wild in public schools too. Yes, much can go wrong and some kids make poor choices from either school.
I think we have abstinence only sex ed in my school i dont know. Im not saying that theres not sex and other bad things going on in public school..Im just not saying that it doesnt happen in private schools. I come from a very well off family but many of my friends do not. The people who acted uppity towards me did not do so because of my financial status but because I'd gone to public school. Of course not everyone in a catholic school is rich and wild and there are some in public school who are. But I do think having a well off family and fancier school doesnt mean you're gonna be any better behaved than those in public. Of course there are exceptions everywhere. But public school isnt as horrible around here (i live in the suburbs) as some people make it out to be, especially if you take honors and AP courses like me.
Old Mar 5, '05, 4:52 pm

Quote:
our kids attended parochial school for up to grades 8, 6 and 5, when we moved from the inner city to an affluent suburb in another state, reputed to have the best public schools in the state. The year we moved had to put the older ones in public school because only Catholic school within a 45 minute drive went up to grade 6 only. That year there were several drug arrests on the HS campus, plus arrests of city and county officials residing in our sub-division for sex offenses. Coach and choir director from HS arrested a few years later for abuse of minors. Investigated the two Catholic high schools that were possibilities, one headed by a nun who was also a founder and still is active in Call to Action, one affiliated with a so-called Catholic university and prestigious religious order which publicly repudiates the pope, his teaching, and employs openly gay profs. Year we moved two of the boys HS teachers were arrested for cruising gay bars in the city and soliciting under cover cops.

bottom line - labels "public" and "private" and "parochial" and "Catholic" are meaningless. Who is the administration? Who are the teachers, what are the textbooks, what is being taught, how do the people teaching your children conduct their lives, how is discipline carried out?
Get involved in your child's school, stay involved, know their teachers, know their friends, don't take anything for granted, and don't be fooled by a label like
Good point and boy do the schools in your area have issues!
Old Mar 5, '05, 4:53 pm

Quote:
bottom line - labels "public" and "private" and "parochial" and "Catholic" are meaningless. Who is the administration? Who are the teachers, what are the textbooks, what is being taught, how do the people teaching your children conduct their lives, how is discipline carried out? Get involved in your child's school, stay involved, know their teachers, know their friends, don't take anything for granted, and don't be fooled by a label like
AMEN!!! Each school is different, as is each teacher within the school, GET INVOLVED !!!
Old Mar 5, '05, 4:57 pm

You know - we see our two children and we know their personality. Our oldest has a conscience for everyone on this forum and then some, and our youngest is very independant ... more likely to try different things than our oldest .. but one of the most important thing, other than our Catholic Faith, that we have always taught our girls is how important character and integrity are and how to make the right decision. It hasn't been easy for either girl, but up until now, they have always made the right choice ... although choices are a bit easier than when in Jr and High School.

Yes, getting involved is upmost ... and both our children live with two parents and grand parents ... it is just so scary ...

I told my husband, if we decide to send the girls to the public school (very affluent community) then we will be getting much more involved in the church ... because I think God is lacking so very much in our Public Schools, and I do not want the girls to miss sight of why they are here on earth.
Old Mar 5, '05, 9:36 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesecat
But I do think having a well off family and fancier school doesnt mean you're gonna be any better behaved than those in public. Of course there are exceptions everywhere. But public school isnt as horrible around here (i live in the suburbs) as some people make it out to be, especially if you take honors and AP courses like me.
It is interesting to me that you would assume the Catholic school near me was actually a fancier school. I had to laugh. My public school that is near me is much newer, has indoor pool, indoor track, many gyms, weight and training rooms, and the list goes on and on. They even have a botonical area. I am always amazed when kids that go there don't score any better than the Catholic school kids that don't have any of these luxuries. The Catholic school my son goes to is bare bones on the amenities but very strong on academics and faith, and 99% of the kids go on to college. I guess when we read each others posts we are picturing different things. In Chicago suburbs the public high schools have everything. The Catholic ones are usually scrounging for space and places to practice. As far a money goes, our kids at the Cathlolic school run the gamut. There are single parent families, as well as two parent families that are wealthy.

Anyway I couldn't let you get away with calling the Catholic kids wild. I started my very first post saying that kids in both types of schools have the same issues. It is the teachers that are different. I think the teachers in the public schools get worn out with behavior issues that they can't deal with exactly as they see fit. Too many parents want to sue over everything. If and when the Catholic school kids get caught with drugs, or any other type of scandal, then they are expelled.
Old Mar 5, '05, 10:29 pm

When I used the term Wild for my school, the girls were out of control ... one even put Angel Dust in Brownies and served it to the girls on the bus who didn't know what they were eating. One girl ended up in an institution for eating those brownies.

But, it wasn't because it was "catholic", I think it was because the parents weren't in their lives. Very sad, but a very true story.

My class also (I didn't go) got kicked out of a WA DC Hotel for throwing used tampons at people ... and kicked out of a upscale hotel for behaving so badly at a semi-formal... very embarrassing ...

I guess I wouldn't know what other adjective I would use but wild.

This being said, doesn't mean all Catholic schools have the same reputation. Although were I attended - it was a top-notch academic school and 99% of us went on to college.

This is just my experience! Peace!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting