Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 15, '10, 8:13 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default "Last" Rites

Can someone settle a disagreement, please? If you have any documents, that would be helpful too.

I have had several people, including one deacon, tell me that when someone is in danger of death, that a deacon can perform all of the "last" rites with the exception of Confession/Absolution. The deacon was very adamant that he can do the annointing and the Apostolic blessing as well as give Viaticum and say the prayers for the dying.

I have always thought that the Apostolic blessing and the annointing were reserved to priests. And, of course, absolution.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Feb 15, '10, 8:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: "Last" Rites

I don't believe that deacon's are able to give blessings, so he wouldn't be able to give the apostolic benediction.

I'm not sure about the anointing with oil (I don't remember if it's restricted to a priest or not), but anyone could give a person their Viaticum (their last Eucharist), and anyone can prayer for the dead or dying.
Old Feb 15, '10, 9:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Greek Orthodox

Hi! I believe that in extraordinary circumstances a deacon may hear confessions though because of his ministry he will not be able to give absolutions. If the person is close to death than the circumstances warrant the deacon to hear the confession if there be no priest around and God Himself will grant the absolution. Where there is no priest and deacon and the individual is close to death than all that is required is a confession. God will grant the absolution. The Church knows of only 1 way under normal circumstances when a person is need of absolution. But under extra ordinary let's say the plane is going down then all is required is for you to confess. God will require the rest. A deacon can administer the other sacraments as long as the priest blesses the anointing oil and consecrates the bread and wine. The deacon cannot bless in the same manner as the priest and he cannot prepare the oils for annointing himself. The priest can do that ahead of time and then the deacon can administer them. Even in the Orthodox Church when the local bishop consecrates the oils for confirmation the priest can administer the sacrament himself. Even the deacon may do this. The Orthodox Church administers the sacrament of Confirmation as soon as the child is baptized. Then the priest administers the sacrament of Holy Confirmation with the blessed oils that the bishop has blessed before hand. Both Catholic and Orthodox have the same requirements and the deacon's responsibilty is the same. He can only do what his office permits him to do. God Bless!
Old Feb 15, '10, 10:28 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
Can someone settle a disagreement, please? If you have any documents, that would be helpful too.

I have had several people, including one deacon, tell me that when someone is in danger of death, that a deacon can perform all of the "last" rites with the exception of Confession/Absolution. The deacon was very adamant that he can do the annointing and the Apostolic blessing as well as give Viaticum and say the prayers for the dying.

I have always thought that the Apostolic blessing and the annointing were reserved to priests. And, of course, absolution.
He can give Viaticum and recite the prayers for the dying. He cannot give the Anointing or an absolution. Point him to this
Old Feb 15, '10, 10:38 pm

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

Quote:

A deacon cannot anoint the sick or absolve sins:
THE MINISTER OF THE ANOINTING OF THE SICK

Can. 1003 §1. Every priest and a priest alone validly administers the anointing of the sick. [Source]

THE MINISTER OF THE SACRAMENT OF PENANCE

Can. 965 A priest alone is the minister of the sacrament of penance. [Source]
Old Feb 16, '10, 12:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlycool89 View Post
I don't believe that deacon's are able to give blessings
There are diaconal forms for blessings in the Book of Blessings.
Old Feb 16, '10, 3:23 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:

he is absolutely wrong. they actually had a special meeting about this issue a few years ago when I first came to this diocese, I think it was a national thing because my spiritual director at the time was a hospital chaplain and he attended. It appears that many chaplains, even sisters and lay persons, were doing the anointing and prayers, without confession, and the true teaching on the sacrament was reiterated and a definitive ruling repeated. he cannot perform any part of the sacrament of the anointing of the sick. He can administer communion and say certain prayers and blessings, but these is not part of that sacrament. Penance and confession are also a separate sacrament, reserved to the priest, and are part of the Last Rites, which also include the sacrament of Anointing of the Sick and administering Viaticum.
Old Feb 16, '10, 6:15 am
Veteran Member

Quote:

A Deacon can administer Viaticum and say prayers for the dying. A Deacon CANNOT delebrate the Sacrament of Anoiniting of the Sick or the Sacrament of Reconciliation. He cannot impart the Apostolic blessing.

"Last Rites" for clarity is the reception of three Sacraments. Reconciliation/Absolution, Anointing of the sick, Holy Viaticum (last Holy Communion), with an Apostolic Blessing.
Old Feb 16, '10, 8:46 am

Religion: RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
A Deacon can administer Viaticum and say prayers for the dying. A Deacon CANNOT delebrate the Sacrament of Anoiniting of the Sick or the Sacrament of Reconciliation. He cannot impart the Apostolic blessing.

"Last Rites" for clarity is the reception of three Sacraments. Reconciliation/Absolution, Anointing of the sick, Holy Viaticum (last Holy Communion), with an Apostolic Blessing.
So a Deacon could give a last rite.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments