Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 16, '10, 7:55 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default What do YOUR two smaller meals consist of during Lent?

Hi all;

I would like to fast 3 days per week during Lent. The problems I have had in the past with fasting hasn't been the will to do it per se, but rather that I don't have a concrete idea in my mind of what to take to work, for lunch, for example. Breakfast is always pretty easy...either a small bowl of oatmeal, and that it...no snacks in between meals. That too, is somewhat easy to follow. But, lunch is always the toughie meal. And it's because I don't prepare ahead of time, what I am going to eat for that fasting day.

So, just curious of what you do for your smaller meals, so I could make some adjustments, and pack specific things each week, so as to stay on track. In other words, I don't want to have to ''think'' every week of what I am going to pack...I want to just have some easy ideas for smaller meals, and then just make it routine.

Thx in advance for your help.

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Feb 16, '10, 8:42 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What do YOUR two smaller meals consist of during Lent?

Hi WhatevergirlDo you like veggie burgers, like Boca or Gardenburgers? Those are easy to take for lunch. Pimento Cheese with a few crackers or as a sandwich is easy. If you like Sushi , Publix has decent rolls. I prefer the brown rice ones. Sometimes I am not very hungary at lunch & will eat one or two string cheese sticks and maybe an apple. Other ideas take a little bit of prep ahead like tuna fish salad or egg salad. I like to make soup on a Sunday from veggie broth, Del-Monte diced tomatoes (with basil & oregano), carrots, celery, kale, onions, diced squash, a little bit of pasta like orzo or acini di pepe and chick peas. You could take some of that a few times for lunch. When it's not Lent, I make the same soup with chicken broth & chop up some cooked chicken breast. It's delish. And healthy. I hope my ideas for lunch were of help to you.
Old Feb 16, '10, 8:53 am

Luciana has some really tasty sounding ideas for avoiding meats!

I would think that some type of nonmeaty, non-hearty soup would be appropriote for a small fasting meal.

"Never forget the difference between good-sounding reasons and good sound reasoning. That was one of the first admonitions I remember hearing from my debate coach in high school." -Alan Keyes
Old Feb 16, '10, 8:55 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Hi Luciana

Yes, those ideas are of help...thank you. Question--do you think the publix sushi rolls are too ''large'' to fit the fasting parameters of a *smaller* meal? Just wondering. I like the fruit and cheese idea...and I used to eat a cup of tuna or something like that, with an apple slice. I wonder if some of the point, is to not feel completely full, but feel a little hungry...as opposed to feeling satiated after a 'normal' meal for lunch.

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Feb 16, '10, 8:56 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiltepin View Post
Luciana has some really tasty sounding ideas for avoiding meats!

I would think that some type of nonmeaty, non-hearty soup would be appropriote for a small fasting meal.
Heeeeyyy...I forgot about soup...good idea, also!

Old Feb 16, '10, 8:57 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Remember the Fast is one full meal.

The other two little somethings ...are allowed....

(the other little somethings are not meals...per se they are 'taking some food' (though I know people like to call the meals...but i think gives a better sense of what they are if one does not.....and in the USA one hears...that they do not equal together a full meal...)
Old Feb 16, '10, 8:58 am

Religion: catholic--embracing all universality, diversity,traditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucania View Post
Hi WhatevergirlDo you like veggie burgers, like Boca or Gardenburgers? Those are easy to take for lunch. Pimento Cheese with a few crackers or as a sandwich is easy. If you like Sushi , Publix has decent rolls. I prefer the brown rice ones. Sometimes I am not very hungary at lunch & will eat one or two string cheese sticks and maybe an apple. Other ideas take a little bit of prep ahead like tuna fish salad or egg salad. I like to make soup on a Sunday from veggie broth, Del-Monte diced tomatoes (with basil & oregano), carrots, celery, kale, onions, diced squash, a little bit of pasta like orzo or acini di pepe and chick peas. You could take some of that a few times for lunch. When it's not Lent, I make the same soup with chicken broth & chop up some cooked chicken breast. It's delish. And healthy. I hope my ideas for lunch were of help to you.
Love these ideas!! thanks Lucania
Old Feb 16, '10, 9:03 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
Remember the Fast is one full meal.

The other two little somethings ...are allowed....

(the other little somethings are not meals...per se they are 'taking some food' (though I know people like to call the meals...but i think gives a better sense of what they are if one does not.....and in the USA one hears...that they do not equal together a full meal...)
You're right...in our bulletin, it was referred to ''as two smaller meals, and one full one.'' But, the 2 smaller ones should not equal together a full meal...so maybe 1/2 a bowl of soup, or half of something....thanks for that reminder.

Old Feb 16, '10, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
Hi Luciana

Yes, those ideas are of help...thank you. Question--do you think the publix sushi rolls are too ''large'' to fit the fasting parameters of a *smaller* meal? Just wondering.
With sushi, it would really depend on how much you like it. I will admit that I have gone out for sushi on a Friday night with friends and ordered it to abstain from meat, but I tend to feel that I am not making much of a sacrifice.

I would prefer good sushi over a steak anyday, so it isn't much of a fast or a sacrifice to me. Now maybe like day old grocery store sushi or some of the sushi I make myself that is not as good would feel a little less indulgant.

It seems like appropriote meals would be different based on the person but probably not comprised of your absolute favorite food.

"Never forget the difference between good-sounding reasons and good sound reasoning. That was one of the first admonitions I remember hearing from my debate coach in high school." -Alan Keyes
Old Feb 16, '10, 9:36 am

Quote:
Hi Luciana

Yes, those ideas are of help...thank you. Question--do you think the publix sushi rolls are too ''large'' to fit the fasting parameters of a *smaller* meal? Just wondering. I like the fruit and cheese idea...and I used to eat a cup of tuna or something like that, with an apple slice. I wonder if some of the point, is to not feel completely full, but feel a little hungry...as opposed to feeling satiated after a 'normal' meal for lunch.
Yes, I understand and agree with your point. I think the Sushi portion is six rolls, which to me is definately filling. Maybe you could share it or I'm thinking of asking the guy who prepares it to make some for me in a smaller portion. They always seem grateful when I make a purchase, so it won't hurt to ask!
Old Feb 16, '10, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie5890 View Post
Love these ideas!! thanks Lucania
You are welcome, Marie
Old Feb 16, '10, 9:44 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
You're right...in our bulletin, it was referred to ''as two smaller meals, and one full one.'' But, the 2 smaller ones should not equal together a full meal...so maybe 1/2 a bowl of soup, or half of something....thanks for that reminder.
the document from Pope Paul VI establishing the practice...uses the term 'some food'...i know there used to be actually a cool name for this...something starting with co..

so I prefer this term...

but the amount and quality is according to local custom....

of course as it is practiced in the USA the size of a full meal (and thus the size of the well 'some food' at the other two times) can look very different for different persons.....
Old Feb 16, '10, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiltepin View Post
With sushi, it would really depend on how much you like it. I will admit that I have gone out for sushi on a Friday night with friends and ordered it to abstain from meat, but I tend to feel that I am not making much of a sacrifice.

I would prefer good sushi over a steak anyday, so it isn't much of a fast or a sacrifice to me. Now maybe like day old grocery store sushi or some of the sushi I make myself that is not as good would feel a little less indulgant.

It seems like appropriote meals would be different based on the person but probably not comprised of your absolute favorite food.
For sure, grocery store sushi dosen't hold a candle to my very favorite Japanese restaurant ! Every year I struggle with how to make a sacrifice when it comes to eating during Lent. I love fish. I love soup of all kinds. I love pasta, meat or no meat. There's not much I don't like, really that is appropriate . I try not to eat extravagant and eat really small portions. DH, (God Bless him, he meant well...) brought home fresh Sea Scallops for dinner one friday during Lent last year. That certainly wasn't a sacrifice. I have often wondered if I should eat some foods that I really don't like. Now that would be a real sacrifice, to me!
Old Feb 16, '10, 9:58 am

When i want a not very good (but still warm) dish for lent I go for broth. Either I drink it the way it is or I just let some pasta boil in it.
Again, this is not meant to be good. Or disgusting. It's food i can eat without really noticing I'm eating.
Old Feb 16, '10, 10:00 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbum Caro
I think you are looking for the term "collation".

VC
Yip that is it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments