Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: What version of the Act of Contrition do you say? See my post for the actual words...
"New" - "My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong..." 11 12.36%
"Old" - "O my God ... to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen" 33 37.08%
"Older" - "O my God ... to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen. 31 34.83%
"Others" - "O my God, I am heartily sorry for my many sins and imperfections. I grieve..." 2 2.25%
"From St. Augustine" - "O my God, I cry unto thee with the prodigal: Father..." 2 2.25%
OTHER -- please post your act of contrition on here for us! 13 14.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 6, '05, 2:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Cool Act of Contrition - which should I memorize???

So I've found out there are many versions of the Act of Contrition. I've compiled the ones I could find, and I'm trying to decide which to memorize... since I am a Catechumen to be baptised, confirmed, and recieve my first communion this Easter Vigil (20 days). Any input? Which do you use and why?

"New:"

My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Saviour Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy. Amen.

"Old:"

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins, because of Your just punishments, but most of all because they offend You, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.

"Oldest:"

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, known and unknown, not only because I dread the loss of heaven and dread the pains of hell, and not only because Thou art my Creator, my Redeemer and my Sanctifier, but most of all because my sins have offended Thee, my God, Who art all good in Thyself and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.

"Others:"

O my God, I am heartily sorry for my many sins and imperfections. I grieve for all the sins of my life, but especially for those of this day. I am sorry for my many sins and imperfections because they offend Thee, O my God, whom I love above all things and because they wound Thee O most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Have mercy on me Sweet Heart of Jesus; cleanse me of my sins and strengthen me, through Your grace, to carry out with a firm purpose of amendment my desire to sin no more, to do penance and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Amen.

"From St. Augustine:"

O my God, I cry unto thee with the prodigal: Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. But now, O God, give me true sorrow of heart for my many sins whereby I have grieved thee, and enable me to make a full confession to thy priest, that I may receive perfect remission of them, through thine infinite goodness. Amen.

Old Mar 6, '05, 2:46 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Act of Contrition - which should I memorize???

The one I use is kind of a mix between the old and oldest:

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended thee. I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell, but most of all because they offend you my God who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Thy Grace, to confess my sins, do penance, and amend my life.
Old Mar 6, '05, 3:13 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert

I use Old...it's the one that I grew up with...but as my RCIA teacher said..it's the attitude that counts...not so much the words

Old Mar 6, '05, 3:34 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin-Rite)

Memorize the one you like best. Or make up your own.

I didn't answer the poll because I don't answer public polls.
Old Mar 6, '05, 3:54 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Try reading this article. It's great. I haven't had a good look at the whole site, but this is excellent.
http://www.catholicfirst.com/thefait...contrition.cfm
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Old Mar 6, '05, 3:56 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Uber-Roman Catholic

Genesis, that's the one that I've memorized. It alludes to imperfect and perfect contrition. I like that one, and that's the one that's posted inside the confessional at my parish. But I guess with the Act of Contrition it's not so much which you we commit to memory, it's that we DO WHAT THE PRAYER SAYS!
Old Mar 6, '05, 5:53 pm
Forum Elder

Great poll!

Very timely. My son (age 15) is having to choose one to memorize for his first confession (RCIA). Yeah! Three more weeks until he is in the Church.
Old Mar 6, '05, 6:12 pm

Talking Re: Act of Contrition - which should I memorize???

I hope I don't sound like a nasty person for writing this, but it is a bit of a relief for me to see that other people are confused about this as well. I feela s if there was a different act of contrition introduced almost ever year during grade school, beginning with preparation for first penance in second grade.

The sentiment behind each are more or less the same. No reason why you can't learn more than one, but my experience is that going to confession always makes me nervous, and I can't get one out completely correct, without inserting a part of the others, when I had a few in memory. It made me feel terrible. Made me wonder if the priest thought "my goodness what a heathen, does not even know the act of contrition," when hearing my confession, "which probabaly menas she lied about the time that has elasped since her last confession." I move around a lot so I don't have a priest I see regularly.

So I decided to try to forget all except the new version, and now it comes easier. I chose the new one, because for me the words made the most sense. The thee and thy and archaic language does not make me feel that I am being adequatley humble or sufficiently contrite; more like I am getting caught up in a movement to think about poetry, when I should only be thinking of my horrible sins and wretchedness and God's mercy. I try to say it each night too, to keep it fresh, and incorporate it in my rosary when meditation on the crucifixion in the sorrowful mystery or during the stations of the cross.
Old Mar 6, '05, 11:09 pm

...in our parish they conveniently have an Act of Contrition posted in the Confessional in English and Chinese...so, since I can't read Chinese I use the English one

The 'English' Act of Contrition is either the 'old' or the 'new'. I'm used to both of them and don't remember which one is in there.

Jennifer
Old Mar 7, '05, 11:09 am

Thumbs up Re: Act of Contrition - which should I memorize???

I am a ten year convert, the Act of Contrition I use is the one that was taught to me by my Priest who also taught the class.

"My God. I am sorry for my sins. I am sorry for the wrong things I have done and for the good things I have failed to do. I will try to do better. Please help me to show you love. Amen."
Old Mar 7, '05, 11:51 am

I am a fan of the second and thrid ones, used the third one on saturday and I liked it alot.....now I am going to be late for class so I had better run......
Old Mar 7, '05, 2:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic Baby!

Here is the one I learned...

Oh my God i love thee, and because I love thee, I am sorry for all my sions, in choosing to do wrong, and failing to do good, I have sinned against you and your church.I firmly intend, with the help of your son, to make up for my sins, and to love as I should, AMEN.

Shalom My brothers and sisters!

"Sex is a prayer, a child is an answer to that prayer."
Old Mar 7, '05, 9:18 pm

Well then what is this one

"I confess to Almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters.
That I have sinned through my own fault
In my thoughts, and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do...

And I ask Blessed Mary ever Virgin, and all the angels and Saints, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Is this just some Liberal version, I do live in California
Old Mar 7, '05, 9:58 pm

thats the confitier (sp?) not the act of contrition...

I live in cali too so ... dont diss the state!
Old Mar 8, '05, 4:16 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

"Older" - "O my God ... to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.
It's what I learned over forty years ago when I converted...why change now???

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality