Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 17, '10, 4:13 am

Religion: Catholic
Default is it a sin not to fast on lent?

I ate meat I couldn't help myself
Old Feb 17, '10, 6:07 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: is it a sin not to fast on lent?

I not sure what you mean by saying that you couldn't help yourself, but Lent is just starting, there is still time to make a good sacrifice. Stop being so weak. I doubt that some meat forced you to eat it. My guess is that you ate meat because you wanted to eat meat and now you are looking for a way to justify your weakness. Stop it! Tell God that you're sorry and begin your Lenten sacrifice now!

Pray for strength.

May God Bless You and Give You Strength!

Christ Died for You! Can You Not Sacrifice for Him?

NOT JUST STRONG...CATHOLIC STRONG!!!
Old Feb 17, '10, 6:19 am

Religion: RC

Don't worry about it, just start over.

We sin, seek forgiveness, receive it, and sin all over again all through our lives. While we try a bit harder during lent, it's really not all that different. If you found it "too hard" to fast, substitute a meanful work or works of charity.

That's really what Lent is more about, isn't it? Making a meaningful sacrifice, and not just punishing ourselves.

Don't get too caught up in a legalistic view of Lent, but don't miss out on the spiritual aspects that can be experienced through fasting, prayer and good works.
Old Feb 17, '10, 6:29 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Do you mean you forgot that it is Ash Wednesday today? Confess your sin, and carry on.

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old Feb 17, '10, 6:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by polgas733 View Post
I ate meat
On Ash Wed and Good Fri we are required to fast and to abstain from meat. There is a difference. Fasting is the quantity of food you consume. Abstaining from mean refers to the types of foods you eat/don't eat.

On all Fridays of Lent you are to abstain from meat.

Is it a sin? If you are within the age ranges for fasting and abstaining and you did it purposely, yes. If you forgot it was an abstinence day, no. If you had a dispensation from your pastor due to your health, etc, no. It's not for us to say if it was a sin. Talk to your priest.

Abstain from meat the remainder of the day, and make sure you fast.

Quote:
I couldn't help myself
Yes, you most certainly could "help yourself." You chose to eat meat. If you are that spiritually weak, you really need to train your will in discipline. Be responsible for your actions. Mention this in your next confession.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 17, '10, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2 View Post
Don't worry about it, just start over.

We sin, seek forgiveness, receive it, and sin all over again all through our lives. While we try a bit harder during lent, it's really not all that different. If you found it "too hard" to fast, substitute a meanful work or works of charity.

That's really what Lent is more about, isn't it? Making a meaningful sacrifice, and not just punishing ourselves.

Don't get too caught up in a legalistic view of Lent, but don't miss out on the spiritual aspects that can be experienced through fasting, prayer and good works.
Newbie2, that's a good post. I will in particular, remember the last paragraph.
Old Feb 17, '10, 7:05 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
If you found it "too hard" to fast, substitute a meanful work or works of charity.
Unless you are this person's pastor or bishop you do not have the authority to dispense him from the law of the Church nor to suggest he substitute something else for it.

You don't seem to understand that this is a law of the Church, specified in Canon 1252. It's not a suggestion. It's not optional. It's a law of the Church. Willfully disobeying the Church law is a serious sin.

Quote:
Um, no. In addition to the required penance under the laws of the Church we can do more. That is an additional sacrifice. But, we are expected to follow the required penance.

Quote:
Again, you have no authority to abbrogate the Church law for this person and should not be suggesting he do so. It is not a "legalistic view" of Lent. It is a requirement of the Church, who does have legitimate authority over us.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 17, '10, 7:30 am

Religion: Believer in Christ, hoping to cross the Tiber.

Did you forget that it was Ash Wednesday and that you are required to fast and abstain? If you legitemately forgot that it was Ash Wednesday then you did not willfully commit the act, therefore it is not mortally sinful. Continue on following the laws of the church, there are plenty of resources on the website spelling out what all Catholics need to do.

However, if you knew it was Ash Wednesday and knew that you were supposed to fast and abstain and broke the Ash Wednesday fast and abstainence church laws just because you felt like having a sausage then I would get myself to a priest for reconciliation.

That's my advice and I believe that it is in tune with Church teaching.
Old Feb 17, '10, 7:43 am

I didn't want to start a whole new thread since I have a question related to this topic. What do you do if abstaining from meat really isn't any kind of sacrifice?

My husband is vegetarian and while I am not, I really don't care if I eat meat or not. I don't buy it to make at home... maybe I have some at lunch once in a while (if I don't have leftovers). So I kind of feel like something is missing. Where other people abstaining from meat are making a sacrifice, to me it's just like any other day (now the fasting is different... I am hungry ATM).

Is it appropriate to add some other thing to abstain from in addition to meat? Or do I just luck out with my already established habits? Literally, for me to abstain from meat is like asking someone to abstain from eating oranges, or chocolate cupcakes, or any other random food... it's not a big deal as it's not part of my daily diet anyway.

Added to that, eating fish is a treat for me. So that seems to be contrary with making a sacrifice (so I generally avoid fish along with meat).
Old Feb 17, '10, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowcalico View Post
I didn't want to start a whole new thread since I have a question related to this topic. What do you do if abstaining from meat really isn't any kind of sacrifice?

My husband is vegetarian and while I am not, I really don't care if I eat meat or not. I don't buy it to make at home... maybe I have some at lunch once in a while (if I don't have leftovers). So I kind of feel like something is missing. Where other people abstaining from meat are making a sacrifice, to me it's just like any other day (now the fasting is different... I am hungry ATM).

Is it appropriate to add some other thing to abstain from in addition to meat? Or do I just luck out with my already established habits? Literally, for me to abstain from meat is like asking someone to abstain from eating oranges, or chocolate cupcakes, or any other random food... it's not a big deal as it's not part of my daily diet anyway.

Added to that, eating fish is a treat for me. So that seems to be contrary with making a sacrifice (so I generally avoid fish along with meat).
Abstaining from meat from mammals or fowl is the minimum when it comes to the abstainance requirements given by Church law (Today and Good Friday of course are days of both fasting and abstainance), if you feel guided by the Holy Spirit to make other sacrifices along with following this church law then I would be obediant to Him.

The Church law spells out the minimum requirement on the matter, but to gain spiritual benefits we definitely need to always be striving to give and sacrifice everything that we feel led by the Spirit to do. That would be my two cents on the matter.

I would maybe prayerfully consider following the additional requirements that the Eastern Catholic Churches require, just an idea for starters. Just make sure that you are meeting the minimum requirements of the Western Church.
Old Feb 17, '10, 7:58 am
Banned

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic

First of all, eating meat does not break the fast requirements unless you eat more than the amount that is allowed under the fast....You broke the "abstinence" requirement. Did you do it Unintentionally...or purposefully???? Unintentional is ok...on purpose, yes sinful...now whether mortal or venial, I don't know...Do you understand the reason for the fast/abstinence?

Quote:
Old Feb 17, '10, 7:59 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowcalico View Post
Abstaining from meat isn't only about giving up something we find enjoyable. By giving up "flesh" to eat, we remember how Jesus gave up his flesh for our redemption.

I would say you already seem to be on the right track. Certainly, you should make it a point not to eat meat today. But if you feel so called to make a sacrifice above and beyond what the Church requires, that's can be quite spiritually beneficial as well.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Feb 17, '10, 8:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
Abstaining from meat isn't only about giving up something we find enjoyable. By giving up "flesh" to eat, we remember how Jesus gave up his flesh for our redemption.

I would say you already seem to be on the right track. Certainly, you should make it a point not to eat meat today. But if you feel so called to make a sacrifice above and beyond what the Church requires, that's can be quite spiritually beneficial as well.
excellent and probably the most important point that I forgot to emphasize in my post. Amen!

Old Feb 17, '10, 8:27 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
The statement "I couldn't help myself" implies that you knew you weren't supposed to eat meat today.
As a vegetarian, I find it astounding that you wouldn't even go the morning without eating meat. Seriously, it's just *one* day.

O Mary
conceived without sin,
pray for us who have
recourse to thee.

Old Feb 17, '10, 8:40 am
Book Club Member

Even if you were given a dispensation from fasting or abstinence, you would still be responsible to fulfill the penitential nature of the days of Lent in some other, as equivalent as you could manage, fashion.

Do better! Fight the good fight instead of weakening! Pray and fight!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments