Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 21, '10, 2:58 am

Religion: De Facto Atheist
Default is interracial dating a sin..?

correct me if this is in the wrong area but i just wana know is interracial dating a sin..? im a 15 year old boy i just wanna know is it a sin.? my family says it is but it doesnt say anywhere in the bible it is please tell me if is or isnt thanks
Old Feb 21, '10, 3:19 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: is interracial dating a sin..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i need helpp View Post
correct me if this is in the wrong area but i just wana know is interracial dating a sin..? im a 15 year old boy i just wanna know is it a sin.? my family says it is but it doesnt say anywhere in the bible it is please tell me if is or isnt thanks
It is NOT a sin.

As a separate issue, though, you are young to be dating .
Old Feb 21, '10, 3:21 am

Religion: De Facto Atheist

im not dating i just wanted to know thank you :]
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:31 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
It is not a sin. That does not mean that there are not "complications" that your parents might be concerned about. This was a hot issue in the 1960's when I was coming of age. Of course things have changed a lot since then but, as your parents demonstrate, there are still some old ideas still out there.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:43 am

Quote:
NO, it is not a sin.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Coyle

And Catholic belief in this reality has actually gotten a priest in the US martyred in the past.

In one of the saddest and most offensive examples of collusion between Masons and the Klu Klux Klan, the murderer of Fr. James Coyle was released without justice.

Truly awful. Only the protestant sects teach that inter-racial marriage is a sin. Consider, Bob Jones University had a policy against interracial dating up until a few years ago!
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:44 am

Quote:
A separate issue is the dating thing. I agree with the previous poster, and recommend not "dating." It will just get you into trouble.

Consider the idea of courtship.... in a few years. Relax and enjoy being young.
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:48 am

Interracial hatered is a SIN, because we have ALL been made in the image and likeness of God. Therefore to hate another for his race or color is to reject God's work, and thus to hate God by declaring that God has made an inferior person.

Interracial dating is not a sin.
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Apryl Send a message via AIM to Apryl Send a message via Yahoo to Apryl Send a message via Skype™ to Apryl

Quote:
There was a time not so .very long ago when there were groups of people who didn't want the races to mix in America. In their zeal to try to discourage such things, they would say, 'it's a sin' and 'it's in the Bible'. There are even some who quoted some passage in Genesis that spoke against mixing of races and interracial couples having children. People would cite this scripture when explaining WHY they weren't able to accept people of varied races being involved.

But that passage didn't exist. At least not as they quoted it. Some one just grabbed a chapter and verse and said it was a bad thing.

Sort of like me saying, 'In the May 14, 1989 issue of Time Magazine, it said that every one is going to go broke if they don't each send me a check for $20 and it clears. '

Time Magazine is reputable. Stating a date gives me saying it some credance. But it NEVER said that people needed to send any one a check, most of all not me!

But if I say it, and use the same reference (Time Magazine, May 14, 1989) repeatedly, and most of all, get some people who WANT to send me $20, those others will repeat it, without ever seeing this actual article.

People quoted that passage in Genesis, and the people to whom they quoted it would repeat it, so now, a third party could say, 'I heard it from more than one person'. Still no one is verifying the comment.

Years go by, it's repeated, it say, 'In the Bible', so some are done. If it's in the Bible, that rules.

Please ask your parents if they have actually seen where this prohibition is stated, and in what CONTEXT this is stated (which means that they need to read the passages before and after).

Race mixing in the Old Testament was usually between Jews and Gentiles, and some times among other cultures. Heck, Moses took a Canaanite woman as his wife. I'm sure in his time, there were some funny looks.

Then, there are other complications involved in an interracial relationship that your parents may want you to avoid. If they can get you to avoid complications out of love, don't be surprised in how far they will go to protect you. That is a good thing. But when others 'quote' the Bible, it's good to check to make sure they have it right.

Apryl

"The Church is a training ground for Saints and a hospital for sinners. There is room -- and there is hope -- in this Church for a sinner like me." Anonymous
Old Feb 21, '10, 9:14 am
Banned

It is not, and never was, a sin. Catholics have been among those in the front of movements in the 1960's to force the state goverments to repeal laws that made it impossible for people to have friendships and social lives with different racial partners, including marriage.

Those who might promote this idea are confusing Catholic teaching with their own personal pride. If it is a priest or religious person teaching something like this, they need to be reported to their bishop. They might be using Old Testament instructions to the Israelites to confuse you.

Those instructions were not based on race. They were based on the fact that the Israelites were being led out of pagan religions by God and it took a long time for God, though the prophets, to teach Israelites the difference.

Jesus kind of gave us the final exam on that lesson when he began to teach about the Good Samaritan and St. Paul explained it even more when he wrote in the Epistles about people coming out of their old ways and into the new way of Christ. He discusses it in a number of different ways.

At your age, 15, your friendships are important and should always be with good, moral people, whatever race. You should keep dating to a level of friendship and be respectful of your own and your friend's chastity. You can get a lot more information about Catholic teachings and racial issues by reading good Catholic books for teens.

Here is a Catholic teen website that may have more help for you: http://www.youthapostles.com/
Old Feb 21, '10, 10:26 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
no it is not a sin, but disobeying your parents is a sin. you will follow their rules on dating as long as you are a minor living at home under their care
Old Feb 21, '10, 11:07 am

Send a message via AIM to dixieagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathguy View Post
NO, it is not a sin.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Coyle

And Catholic belief in this reality has actually gotten a priest in the US martyred in the past.

In one of the saddest and most offensive examples of collusion between Masons and the Klu Klux Klan, the murderer of Fr. James Coyle was released without justice.

Truly awful. Only the protestant sects teach that inter-racial marriage is a sin. Consider, Bob Jones University had a policy against interracial dating up until a few years ago!
It is so interesting that you should mention this incident. It happened in our diocese (now archdiocese) and there was just a review in our Catholic paper about a book on the subject, called "Rising Road" by Sharon Davies. The paper doesn't have a good website, but here is a link to information about the book:

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/genera...=9780195379792

My blog: http://www.chattycatholic.com
Old Feb 21, '10, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieagle View Post
It is so interesting that you should mention this incident. It happened in our diocese (now archdiocese) and there was just a review in our Catholic paper about a book on the subject, called "Rising Road" by Sharon Davies. The paper doesn't have a good website, but here is a link to information about the book:

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I had no idea this book was published! I thought Fr. Coyle's story would languish in obscurity. And Oxford University Press no less!! It is about time!!!

Of course, my wife will be upset yet another book gets ordered from Amazon....

I'll just blame you....

Really, I do appreciate this very much.
Old Feb 21, '10, 3:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
definitely not a sin...

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Feb 21, '10, 3:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
No, it is not a sin - at all. But IMOHO you're too young to date
Old Feb 21, '10, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieagle View Post

I bought the book and had it downloaded to my Kindle so I have already started it.

I think it is in many ways excellent.

The only caveat I would add at this point (I am only about a chapter in) is that I think the author may have an agenda. She is a lawyer, and the subject of the book is marriage, and the underlying theme may be an argument for gay marriage. I am not ABSOLUTELY sure of this yet, but her intro. gave me pause.

Fr. Coyle was a Catholic... not a modernist... and he took his actions out of loyalty to the truth and out of his duty as a priest.... not of some modern political correctness.

That said... so far so good. Thanks for recommending it to me!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism