Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 29, '10, 10:53 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why God made me poor?

[font=Arial][size=3][color=Navy]“Poor people talk about people, Middle class people talk about events, Rich people think about ideas”.

Sounds just like something Jesus would say . . . not.

I absolutely hate this quote, and it's not at all true. In my experience, the people who think about ideas are poor grad students living on Ramen noodles.

Rich people, by contrast, talk about themselves. Incessantly. Either that, or they are entirely too busy to talk to anyone but their Crackberry.

/rant
Old May 29, '10, 11:16 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynardus View Post
As our parish priest said in one of his homilies: Remember that God came into this world to be poor. He could have chosen to be born as a King in a luxurious palace but He chose to be born into the family of a poor carpenter instead.

You're in good company.

And think of the bright side. You will never be uneasy everytime you hear the gospel reading regarding the rich man, the camel and the eye of the needle.
The eye of a needle is common idiom for a camel's home doorway during ancient times. In order for the camel to enter it, it must unload its cargo, stoop down and crawl inside the eye.

In the same way rich people must detached themselves from their wealth, ("have it but not possessed by it" mentality) humble themselves to the kingdom of God and enter it.

Luke 12:48 states: "To whom much is given, much will be required" . This is why it will be extra hard for this people to enter the kingdom of God, they are in charge of bigger accounts.

How then can a gentile who knows Christ as Savior not love the Jewish people, a people loved by God, chosen by him for his own glory?

www.catholicsforisrael.com
Old May 29, '10, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscati View Post
[font=Arial][size=3][color=Navy]“Poor people talk about people, Middle class people talk about events, Rich people think about ideas”.

I absolutely hate this quote, and it's not at all true. In my experience, the people who think about ideas are poor grad students living on Ramen noodles.
Are you one of those grad students, just asking?

Quote:
Rich people, by contrast, talk about themselves. Incessantly. Either that, or they are entirely too busy to talk to anyone but their Crackberry.
Sound like those posh college girls everyone likes to hate.

Well that is not my brand of Richness. True wealth is creating a positive impact to the people around you. What you experience is totally different and absolutely inferior.

How then can a gentile who knows Christ as Savior not love the Jewish people, a people loved by God, chosen by him for his own glory?

www.catholicsforisrael.com
Old Jul 5, '10, 8:26 pm

The distinction here is giving because you want something in return versus giving because you just feel like giving. One is tainted by Ego and the other is a purer form of love.

It's ok to create and give something in exchange for money. The Ego is not evil. It makes a great slave but a terrible master. I was making an observation of the conflict that I feel inside me when I give out of just wanted to give, and when I feel I need to charge money for what I give.
To show I really care.
Old Apr 27, '11, 5:37 pm
Banned

There are times I worry about money, so I ordered a book from Amazon titled:"Why enough is never eneough. Overcoming Worries About Money--A Catholic Perspective, by Gregory S. Jeffrey.
Has anyone read it?
Old Apr 29, '11, 6:02 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitaptap View Post
I do believe we are all created equal in the eyes of God. But why there are people born poor and there are people born rich? Why not God made us all rich? If He doesn’t want one person more or another person less, why God permitted both wealth and poverty exists in this world?
God didn't make you poor like a punishment or something.

If we were all rich , the least rich would be as the poor are now.

You would have £1,000,000 but a loaf of bread would cost £250,000.
Old Apr 29, '11, 4:42 pm

Religion: catholic

God doesn't "make" anyone poor or rich. It is what you were born into, what abilities you have, what opportunities you create for yourself, and how hard you wish to work at a comfortable living.

Don't belive the protestant Gospel of Prosperity preachers. God doesn't want us to be wealthy. Frankly, I don't think he cares how much money we have or don't have. Otherwise how would you explain the truly faithful, faithfilled indigent people who own nothing but the clothing on their back??

Thanks God for your talents and abilities, perhaps meet with a career counselor and set some goals and get moving!
Old Apr 30, '11, 10:33 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:

/rant
You must know different rich people than I do. The truly rich do not brag or let you know how much better off they are (except maybe Trump).
Old Apr 30, '11, 4:25 pm
Banned

You CHOOSE to remain poor.

I was born poor. At time, we had only dry dog food to eat (it is nutritious, but VERY bland). I was also abused in every way that a child can be abused.

God did NOT choose for me to be poor, or for me to be abused. He gave me a good mind, and a generally sound body, and i used the gifts that he provided me with to work myself OUT of poverty. Virtually anyone in the US or Canada can do that, if they really wish to.

Education is the key. I went to 28 different schools, and I never finished High School. So, I went into the Army, took the High School level GED examinations and passed them; took the old College level GED and passed them too which gave me credit in the Army for completing one year of college).

When I got out, I started at a Community College, and earned my A.A. Degree in 3 Semesters. I was also a single father of two daughters, and had to work part-time to support them.

I went on the University, completed my B.A. in 3 more semesters, and then went on to ear a dual Masters Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling and Clinical Psychology. Several years later, I earned my Ed.D in Rehabilitation Counseling.

God did not make me poor, and God also did not GIVE me an education. He provided the opportunity, but I had to choose to take advantage of it.

You can blame God for anything, but that is a cop out.

YOU make the choices of where you remain in life. You have opportunities to move up and out, if you do not take advantage of those opportunities, then that's YOUR fault, not God's.

By the way. my daughters became a Physician (the elder one) and a Civil Engineer. They are raising their sons the same way that I raised them. They give them the necessities, and they teach them to use the opportunities that God places there for all of us.
Old Apr 30, '11, 4:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

I remember when I was around ten years old I asked my mum if she knew a family who had everything (in my eyes).

A close family who loved each other.
A family that were all practising Catholics.
A family that wasn't poor.
A family with no health problems.
Other things too.

She said she knew only one, a couple who had a daughter a few years older than me.
And she was right, they were all nice and ticked all the boxes, how happy their lives must have been then, and their lives were happy.

A few years later, the daughter, the only child died of cancer.

How horrible it must be to bury your child, your only child. The rest (apart from their faith) are now worthless.

I was born into an extremely poor family but I became rich when my mum converted to the catholic faith and with her I did too.
Old Apr 30, '11, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post
You CHOOSE to remain poor.

I was born poor. At time, we had only dry dog food to eat (it is nutritious, but VERY bland). I was also abused in every way that a child can be abused.

God did NOT choose for me to be poor, or for me to be abused. He gave me a good mind, and a generally sound body, and i used the gifts that he provided me with to work myself OUT of poverty. Virtually anyone in the US or Canada can do that, if they really wish to.

Education is the key. I went to 28 different schools, and I never finished High School. So, I went into the Army, took the High School level GED examinations and passed them; took the old College level GED and passed them too which gave me credit in the Army for completing one year of college).

When I got out, I started at a Community College, and earned my A.A. Degree in 3 Semesters. I was also a single father of two daughters, and had to work part-time to support them.

I went on the University, completed my B.A. in 3 more semesters, and then went on to ear a dual Masters Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling and Clinical Psychology. Several years later, I earned my Ed.D in Rehabilitation Counseling.

God did not make me poor, and God also did not GIVE me an education. He provided the opportunity, but I had to choose to take advantage of it.

You can blame God for anything, but that is a cop out.

YOU make the choices of where you remain in life. You have opportunities to move up and out, if you do not take advantage of those opportunities, then that's YOUR fault, not God's.

By the way. my daughters became a Physician (the elder one) and a Civil Engineer. They are raising their sons the same way that I raised them. They give them the necessities, and they teach them to use the opportunities that God places there for all of us.
What you are indicating about education is absolutely true, as is the value of hard work. But, don't fool yourself. Anyone can be made poor at any moment, and not by choice. Life is much more of a gamble than people like to imagine. Having worked as a lawyer for many years (and I also achieved that through being in the Army, etc.), I've seen many well educated, bright, hard working, people rendered poor over night by gross misfortunes. That's not God's work, but it is also not the case that they chose to become poor or remain poor, or were lazy, or uneducated. Indeed, I've seen close family members rendered essentially poor through caring for desperately ill family members. I suppose they chose to become poor over allowing their family members to be ignored, but if that's the case, they chose the better part.

Excuse me if I sound strident on this, but this particular view is one I've frequently run into from those who might excessively credit their own good fortune to their own efforts, very real though those efforts may be. No doubt they have risen through their own efforts, as you have, but many very wealthy people will admit that their fortunes were in no small part due to the assistance of others and some fortunate breaks.

Also, frankly, we all know real dolts who have become rich through simply good luck.

Again, I'm not disputing the value of an education, or hard work, but maintaining that everyone can escape poverty takes out the element of chance in life, and that element is always there for all of us. Any of us could be made poor, and kept there, very easily.
Old Apr 30, '11, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary bobo View Post
You must know different rich people than I do. The truly rich do not brag or let you know how much better off they are (except maybe Trump).
It isn't really possible to characterize people by wealth as to their behavior. Many very rich people are extremely modest, some not. I've known some very wealthy people in both classes. Quite frequently, people who talk a lot about their wealth actually don't have wealth, but are either hoping to get wealthy by association or want to be seen that way.

Still, it was Chesterton who observed that there were no interesting wealthy people, as somebody interested enough in wealth to become wealthy wasn't interesting.

Clearly, that's a gross exaggeration, but in some cases, that's true.
Old May 2, '11, 8:47 am

Quote:
I do believe we are all created equal in the eyes of God. But why there are people born poor and there are people born rich? Why not God made us all rich? If He doesn’t want one person more or another person less, why God permitted both wealth and poverty exists in this world?

He also gave you free will.

"If He doesn’t want one person more or another person less, why God permitted both wealth and poverty exists in this world," I think you are confusing God with Marx.
Old Sep 12, '11, 10:04 pm

I don't know the answer to this one, honestly. I, myself, am probably "poor" in a strictly material sense (one of those twenty-somethings who've slipped out of the middle class that you've read about), and not due to any laziness or lack of trying. My grandparents on one side of the family were poor (both sides if you go back far enough) and it seems like things have come full circle. There are a number of things that I cannot afford and are out of reach: some of them (like a car or health insurance) I really wish I could find a way to afford but there are simply too many barriers to obtaining them here in America, while others (excess purchases, like new clothes, and expensive items) I've accepted as being beyond my means. That being said, in spite of struggling to make a living wage in the U.S., I've lived and worked outside the country where I've fared much better financially, and have also had some life experiences that really do 'keep me going' when the going gets rough. For example, coming Home to the Church: don't know if I would've been able to do that if a very specific set of circumstances hadn't led me to a specific group of people whom I probably never would have met as a high-powered XYZ at Blanky-Blank.

That being said, nothing frustrates me more than hearing people of a certain age tell their "bootstrap" stories without acknowledging how much of their career success has been due to luck. Because, let's face it, some things in life really are luck of the draw. Same goes for those who are married versus those who are single and wish they were married. You can wonder why you haven't met the right person until you're blue in the face, but the reality is, that element of chance can make all the difference.

I could spend a lot of time worrying about why I'm in the state that I am, and especially getting down on myself when I feel like I've put in so much effort and am still struggling (while others seem to promenade down Easy Street). I've found it especially difficult to see my own worth as a potential contributor to society in a world where so many people are competing for so few jobs. But, this is not productive, and none of us can really know why we are in the states that we are in during our lifetimes. The best thing to do is count your blessings (I know how difficult this can be...but there really is no better way to see that you are not as "poor" as you may think) and make the most of the life you've been given, no matter how much or how little it's valued by society as a whole.

A final note: remember, we are in good company! Think of all the saints who were materially poor (many by choice, but still...)...not to mention the Holy Family

Let us understand that God is a physician, and that suffering is a medicine for salvation, not a punishment for damnation.- St. Augustine

Last edited by iwillrisenow; Sep 12, '11 at 10:14 pm.
Old Sep 12, '11, 10:09 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
In the Gospels, it is made clear that the rich are not spiritually better than the poor. They are not more loved then the poor. God loves all His children the same; infinitely.

The Saints actually said.. it's a blessing to suffer for Christ, to be poor, to carry crosses... the rich receive their reward on earth. It's greater if our reward is in Heaven, because it is eternal, if we faithfully accept our suffering here on earth and offer it to God in union with the Cross. And He will always help us to have peace and joy amidst any suffering.

Read the Beatitudes and contemplate them.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Gospel of St. Matthew 5:3-10

God bless

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014