Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 9, '10, 6:27 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

Hello all,

When I was growing up, I remember my parents telling me a story about how God created all of the angels including Lucifer/Satan. After Lucifer saw how beautiful and powerful he was, he became prideful and chose to rebel against God. St. Michael the Archangel and the angels who supported God then drove Lucifer out of heaven.

I was trying to find this story in the Bible today but couldn't. I thought that it would be somewhere in Genesis. Does anyone have a Scripture citation about where in the Bible I could find the above story? If not, where did it come from (tradition, Church Fathers, Magisterium, Papal documents)?

Thank you!
Old Mar 9, '10, 6:38 pm

Religion: Catholic (Joined 2005)
Default Re: Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghog View Post
Hello all,

When I was growing up, I remember my parents telling me a story about how God created all of the angels including Lucifer/Satan. After Lucifer saw how beautiful and powerful he was, he became prideful and chose to rebel against God. St. Michael the Archangel and the angels who supported God then drove Lucifer out of heaven.

I was trying to find this story in the Bible today but couldn't. I thought that it would be somewhere in Genesis. Does anyone have a Scripture citation about where in the Bible I could find the above story? If not, where did it come from (tradition, Church Fathers, Magisterium, Papal documents)?

Thank you!
Hi.

You're likely looking for, in part, Revelation 12:7-10:
Then war broke out in heaven; Michael and his angels battled against the dragon. The dragon and its angels fought back, but they did not prevail and there was no longer any place for them in heaven.

The huge dragon, the ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, who deceived the whole world, was thrown down to earth, and its angels were thrown down with it.

Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have salvation and power come, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Anointed. For the accuser of our brothers is cast out, who accuses them before our God day and night.
You may also be hearing parts of John Milton's Paradise Lost novel mixed in with those old stories.

"If I am not (in a state of grace), may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me." --St. Jeanne d'Arc

Last edited by Spencerian; Mar 9, '10 at 6:42 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 9, '10, 6:41 pm
Book Club Member

That covers Lucifer being expelled from heaven, but it doesn't cover God creating Lucifer.

Is the entire story in one place in the Bible? Or just bits and pieces here and there?
Old Mar 9, '10, 6:44 pm

Religion: Catholic (Joined 2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghog View Post
That covers Lucifer being expelled from heaven, but it doesn't cover God creating Lucifer.

Is the entire story in one place in the Bible? Or just bits and pieces here and there?
Good question.

As Lucifer was an angel, he was created at the same time as all other angels.

This question's been asked recently. Here's the thread (which apparently has your answer).

"If I am not (in a state of grace), may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me." --St. Jeanne d'Arc

Old Mar 9, '10, 8:40 pm

The Mystical City of God written by Ven, Sister Mary of Jesus of Agreda has an account of the creation and fall of the angels. It is her private revelation from the Blessed Mother of the Virgin's life and history. It is a fascinating book with incredible information about the life of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus.

You can read it online here http://www.themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
Go to Volume I, Chapter VII for the story about the angels.
Old Mar 10, '10, 1:45 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by momor View Post
The Mystical City of God written by Ven, Sister Mary of Jesus of Agreda has an account of the creation and fall of the angels. It is her private revelation from the Blessed Mother of the Virgin's life and history. It is a fascinating book with incredible information about the life of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus.

You can read it online here http://www.themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
Go to Volume I, Chapter VII for the story about the angels.
Private revelations do not have to be believed and they are often inaccurate and contradictory (even those which have an "approval") so we shouldn't be running to private revelations thinking they fill in gaps for things not in Holy Scripture.
We should stick to what is actually taught by the Church based on Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition. Everything else is speculation.
Old Mar 10, '10, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Private revelations do not have to be believed ...
Ah, true. But we are also allowed to believe the approved one's if we wish. The one's that are approved do not contain anything which goes against Church doctrine.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture