Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Mar 9, '10, 6:27 pm
Maghog Maghog is offline
New Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 13, 2005
Posts: 20
Religion: Catholic
Default Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

Hello all,

When I was growing up, I remember my parents telling me a story about how God created all of the angels including Lucifer/Satan. After Lucifer saw how beautiful and powerful he was, he became prideful and chose to rebel against God. St. Michael the Archangel and the angels who supported God then drove Lucifer out of heaven.

I was trying to find this story in the Bible today but couldn't. I thought that it would be somewhere in Genesis. Does anyone have a Scripture citation about where in the Bible I could find the above story? If not, where did it come from (tradition, Church Fathers, Magisterium, Papal documents)?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Mar 9, '10, 6:38 pm
Spencerian's Avatar
Spencerian Spencerian is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 27, 2009
Posts: 1,478
Religion: Catholic (Joined 2005)
Default Re: Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghog View Post
Hello all,

When I was growing up, I remember my parents telling me a story about how God created all of the angels including Lucifer/Satan. After Lucifer saw how beautiful and powerful he was, he became prideful and chose to rebel against God. St. Michael the Archangel and the angels who supported God then drove Lucifer out of heaven.

I was trying to find this story in the Bible today but couldn't. I thought that it would be somewhere in Genesis. Does anyone have a Scripture citation about where in the Bible I could find the above story? If not, where did it come from (tradition, Church Fathers, Magisterium, Papal documents)?

Thank you!
Hi.

You're likely looking for, in part, Revelation 12:7-10:
Then war broke out in heaven; Michael and his angels battled against the dragon. The dragon and its angels fought back, but they did not prevail and there was no longer any place for them in heaven.

The huge dragon, the ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, who deceived the whole world, was thrown down to earth, and its angels were thrown down with it.

Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have salvation and power come, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Anointed. For the accuser of our brothers is cast out, who accuses them before our God day and night.
You may also be hearing parts of John Milton's Paradise Lost novel mixed in with those old stories.
__________________


"If I am not (in a state of grace), may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me." --St. Jeanne d'Arc




Last edited by Spencerian; Mar 9, '10 at 6:42 pm. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Mar 9, '10, 6:41 pm
Maghog Maghog is offline
New Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 13, 2005
Posts: 20
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

That covers Lucifer being expelled from heaven, but it doesn't cover God creating Lucifer.

Is the entire story in one place in the Bible? Or just bits and pieces here and there?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Mar 9, '10, 6:44 pm
Spencerian's Avatar
Spencerian Spencerian is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 27, 2009
Posts: 1,478
Religion: Catholic (Joined 2005)
Default Re: Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghog View Post
That covers Lucifer being expelled from heaven, but it doesn't cover God creating Lucifer.

Is the entire story in one place in the Bible? Or just bits and pieces here and there?
Good question.

As Lucifer was an angel, he was created at the same time as all other angels.

This question's been asked recently. Here's the thread (which apparently has your answer).
__________________


"If I am not (in a state of grace), may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me." --St. Jeanne d'Arc



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Mar 9, '10, 8:40 pm
momor momor is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 14, 2009
Posts: 1,455
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

The Mystical City of God written by Ven, Sister Mary of Jesus of Agreda has an account of the creation and fall of the angels. It is her private revelation from the Blessed Mother of the Virgin's life and history. It is a fascinating book with incredible information about the life of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus.

You can read it online here http://www.themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
Go to Volume I, Chapter VII for the story about the angels.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Mar 10, '10, 1:45 am
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,189
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momor View Post
The Mystical City of God written by Ven, Sister Mary of Jesus of Agreda has an account of the creation and fall of the angels. It is her private revelation from the Blessed Mother of the Virgin's life and history. It is a fascinating book with incredible information about the life of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus.

You can read it online here http://www.themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
Go to Volume I, Chapter VII for the story about the angels.
Private revelations do not have to be believed and they are often inaccurate and contradictory (even those which have an "approval") so we shouldn't be running to private revelations thinking they fill in gaps for things not in Holy Scripture.
We should stick to what is actually taught by the Church based on Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition. Everything else is speculation.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Mar 10, '10, 2:46 pm
momor momor is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 14, 2009
Posts: 1,455
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Story of St. Michael the Archangel and Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Private revelations do not have to be believed ...
Ah, true. But we are also allowed to believe the approved one's if we wish. The one's that are approved do not contain anything which goes against Church doctrine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8479Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3332Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:07 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.