Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 14, '10, 5:50 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Protestant
Default Music For Easter Vigil

Dear List,

I am a new member and this is my first post! I need your help and wasn't sure what forum to post this to. I am a pianist/choir director for a chapel on Ft. Bragg and play for a Mass as well as two Protestant services. I am Prostestant and have been asked to play for and choose the music for the post's Easter Vigil. I love the music and liturgy of the Catholic church.

What music is usually played after baptism? Last year we sang, "I Am a New Creation." One of the priests, however asked for an alleluia. What is the tradition, and what alleluia should be used.

Thanks for your help and guidance!
Old Mar 14, '10, 6:34 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Default Re: Music For Easter Vigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Autry View Post
Dear List,

I am a new member and this is my first post! I need your help and wasn't sure what forum to post this to. I am a pianist/choir director for a chapel on Ft. Bragg and play for a Mass as well as two Protestant services. I am Prostestant and have been asked to play for and choose the music for the post's Easter Vigil. I love the music and liturgy of the Catholic church.

What music is usually played after baptism? Last year we sang, "I Am a New Creation." One of the priests, however asked for an alleluia. What is the tradition, and what alleluia should be used.

Welcome to the forums! You posted in the right place.

The Easter Vigil by its very nature is the most solemn Mass of the entire liturgical year. It begins with the lighting of the fire and the Paschal candle. This is typically done outside. As the Paschal Candle is carried into the church (or, in your case, the chapel), the priest or deacon will intone "Christ our Light" and the faithful respond "Thanks be to God". This is done three times. Then the Exultet will be sung. You could give the priest the first note and then he will sing it. If he cannot sing, then, the deacon or cantor will sing it.

The Liturgy of the Word contains seven readings from the Old Testament and seven corresponding responsorial psalms. The psalms should be sung. For pastoral reasons, the celebrant may omit a couple, but, the reading from Exodus is never to be omitted. After the last psalm the Gloria is sung with all of its beauty and gusto. Then comes the opening prayer and the Epistle. After the Epistle comes the Gospel Acclamation (the Alleluia). Rather than having just one verse, there are three. Then, the Gospel is proclaimed.

After the homily, the Baptisms and Confrimations commence. As the water is being blessed, the Litany of the Saints is sung/chanted. During the Baptisms, you could very well sing All Creatures of Our God and King, since it is replete with Alleluias. When the confirmations of the newly baptized and the candidates commence, you can sing either Come, Holy Ghost or Veni Creator Spiritus.

After that, the Mass continues in the usual manner. Now, I have always used Alleluia, Sing to Jesus for Holy Communion and then the recessional is the triumphant, Jesus Christ is Risen Today."

Now, the dismissal will have a triple Alleluia. The Mass is ended go in peace, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia. We respond, Thanks be to God, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia.

I hope this helps.
Old Mar 14, '10, 6:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Autry View Post
Dear List,

Welcome!

Usually during the Baptism, a hymn reflecting Baptism is sung. For example "I Saw Water Flowing":

Quote:
Refrain: First time Cantor, All repeat; thereafter: All

I saw water flowing, from the right side of the temple, Alleluia! Alleluia!

1. The water flowed, Alleluia! Flowed from the temple, Alleluia! REFRAIN
2. It brought God's life, Alleluia! And His salvation, Alleluia! REFRAIN
3. The people sang, Alleluia! They sang in joyful praise, Alleluia! REFRAIN
Or: Water Of Life

Quote:
Refrain: Water of life, cleanse and refresh us; raise us to life in Christ Jesus.

1. All you who thirst, come to the waters, and you will never be thirsty again.
2. As rain from heav'n, so is God's word, it waters the earth and brings forth life.
3. Dying with Christ, so we shall rise with him, death so no longer have pow'r over us.
4. Turn to the Lord, cast off your wickedness, you will find peace in his infinite love.
Thereafter, for the Preparation of the Gifts, you may sing anything that shows the joyful nature of the celebration. Anything "Alleluia-oriented" is highly recommened. For example: "Christ, The Lord, Is Risen Today." This goes on for the Communion hymn as well.

The Recessional hymn should be triumphant. My music director uses a really old hymn and it goes something like this:

Quote:
Christ is risen from the dead, risen as he truly said; praise the Lord with grateful voice; bless his name: rejoice, rejoice! Ressurexit, sicuit dixit, Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
There are more verses, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

"Jesus Christ Is Risen Today" would be very fitting for the recessional.
Old Mar 14, '10, 7:25 pm

Religion: Catholic

We also use either of the two songs suggested by CatholicZ09:
"Water of Life' or 'I saw Water Flowing' at the Baptism.

We also use 'All Creature of Our God and King' and 'Alleluia, Praise to Jesus.'

We save 'Jesus Christ is Risen Today' or 'Christ the Lord is Risen Today' and 'Alleluia No. 1' for Easter Sunday, though.

Welcome!
Old Mar 14, '10, 8:01 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSK View Post
We also use either of the two songs suggested by CatholicZ09:
"Water of Life' or 'I saw Water Flowing' at the Baptism.

We also use 'All Creature of Our God and King' and 'Alleluia, Praise to Jesus.'

We save 'Jesus Christ is Risen Today' or 'Christ the Lord is Risen Today' and 'Alleluia No. 1' for Easter Sunday, though.

Welcome!
Actually, there is nothing wrong with using Jesus Christ Is Risen Today as the recessional for the Easter Vigil and then as the entrance for Easter Sunday. I have done this for several years.
Old Mar 15, '10, 7:37 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedictgal View Post
Actually, there is nothing wrong with using Jesus Christ Is Risen Today as the recessional for the Easter Vigil and then as the entrance for Easter Sunday. I have done this for several years.
Same with my music director. "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" has been used for many years as the recessional for the Easter Vigil, and the processional for Easter Sunday. However, he since then has changed it to "Christ has risen from the dead..." either way, it's very fitting to use either. I think it just kind of leads into Easter Sunday.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments