Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 20, '10, 5:23 am

Religion: Catholic now! Convert Easter Vigil 2010
Default Can you make your confirmation name official?

I was just wondering if it is common for people to make their confirmation names official?
I am being confirmed and will receive the Eucharist for the first time at the Easter Vigil and I would quite like to make my new name an official one as it means a lot to me and I don't already have a middle name.

I am in the UK, where it doesn't have to cost any money to do this as far as I know, although you do have to pay renewal fees for passports etc obviously.

I believe I just need to get witnessed statements that I wish to change my name, the wording of which can be downloaded from the internet, and then these can be sent off to the passport office, the DVLA etc.

Has anybody else done this, was it easy?

TIA
Old Mar 20, '10, 5:40 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can you make your confirmation name official?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffeski View Post
I was just wondering if it is common for people to make their confirmation names official?
I am being confirmed and will receive the Eucharist for the first time at the Easter Vigil and I would quite like to make my new name an official one as it means a lot to me and I don't already have a middle name.

I am in the UK, where it doesn't have to cost any money to do this as far as I know, although you do have to pay renewal fees for passports etc obviously.

I believe I just need to get witnessed statements that I wish to change my name, the wording of which can be downloaded from the internet, and then these can be sent off to the passport office, the DVLA etc.

Has anybody else done this, was it easy?

TIA

It was common for people to change their name when it was a non-Christian name to a Christian one (Baptismal name) after their Baptism.
Old Mar 20, '10, 5:48 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

that would be a civil law process, and if you are a minor your parents would have to initiate the action, and it is not cheap. You would also then when you have received a new birth certificate from the state, take it to your baptismal parish to have the record amended (the confirmation record already lists your name)
Old Mar 20, '10, 5:59 am

I am 29 so my parents are not involved, but I think you are thinking of US law, as far as I can work out it will not be costly at all, I understand how to go about the process in the UK but I just wondered was it something many people did?
Old Mar 20, '10, 6:19 am

I don't know any one that's changed their name at all, let alone adding a confirmation name.I don't think that it's a very popular thing to do. I've never heard of it.
I don't see why you shouldn't do it; especially since you don't have a middle name. But it still seems like it would be quite an endeaver even if it doesn't cost as much in the UK.
Old Mar 20, '10, 10:57 am

I have known a couple people who added their name. The ones I can think of didn't have a middle name from birth. I say go for it.

I heard that is what my grandfather did. He died before I was born, So I can't ask him. He was born in Ireland.
Old Mar 20, '10, 11:03 am

So if i did do it I would have to get the church records changed as well? I was presuming they would be the one body who would have my confirmation name (s) on record?

Are you saying that the church does not keep a record of the name?
Old Mar 20, '10, 11:24 am

Quote:
So if i did do it I would have to get the church records changed as well? I was presuming they would be the one body who would have my confirmation name (s) on record?

Are you saying that the church does not keep a record of the name?
I'm not sure, puzzleannie might know this info. I have my baptismal certifcate and it list's my confirmation date and parish but not my confirmation name. it is the only proof I have of my confirmation.

Perhaps if you are legally changing your name it has to be changed on your baptismal certificate as well I don't know. That's how I understand what annie is saying. Try calling your diocese to find out what you have to do if anything.
Old Mar 20, '10, 11:31 am

My father and all my aunts and uncles did. They didn't have middle names when they were born and it was just accepted that they would add their confirmation names as their middles names once they were confirmed.

It's kind of nice to be able to go back and look at their official documents and see what they chose for confirmation names! My father's was John.
Old Mar 20, '10, 11:44 am
Forum Master

Baptismal records are historic records. You don't change those to add or subtract names. The only way it changes is if a child is adopted after being baptized. The CCCB has a decree as to how those are to be dealt with. The baptismal record does not change but the notation " Child adopted as "new name" by Father Z & Mother Y on yyyy/mm/dd per adoption record #xyz" and the baptismal certificate is issued in the new name. If necessary the godparents are omitted.

In some cases, the church is never notified of the adoption which can cause any number of problems. One acquaintance adopted 2 brothers who were apprehended by Social Services and put up for adoption. They were both baptized before adoption but since the adoption is closed and they don't want the biological parents to ever find out where the boys are.

Social Services will only say 'yes they were baptized' but will not reveal to the adoptive parents where the baptism occurred nor will the let the church know that the boys were adopted since the odds are good, due to the size of the community from which they were removed, that the biological parents would find out. Sadly, confidentiality is scarce in small tight-knit communities.
Old Mar 20, '10, 11:49 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
I am 29 so my parents are not involved, but I think you are thinking of US law, as far as I can work out it will not be costly at all, I understand how to go about the process in the UK but I just wondered was it something many people did?
not commonly today in countries where most people's given name at birth is, if not the name of a saint or OT figure, at least not a name antiethical to Christian values.
Old Mar 20, '10, 11:51 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Baptismal records are historic records. You don't change those to add or subtract names. The only way it changes is if a child is adopted after being baptized. The CCCB has a decree as to how those are to be dealt with. The baptismal record does not change but the notation " Child adopted as "new name" by Father Z & Mother Y on yyyy/mm/dd per adoption record #xyz" and the baptismal certificate is issued in the new name. If necessary the godparents are omitted.

In some cases, the church is never notified of the adoption which can cause any number of problems. One acquaintance adopted 2 brothers who were apprehended by Social Services and put up for adoption. They were both baptized before adoption but since the adoption is closed and they don't want the biological parents to ever find out where the boys are.

Social Services will only say 'yes they were baptized' but will not reveal to the adoptive parents where the baptism occurred nor will the let the church know that the boys were adopted since the odds are good, due to the size of the community from which they were removed, that the biological parents would find out. Sadly, confidentiality is scarce in small tight-knit communities.
the baptismal record is never changed, even in the case of adoption or other legal name change, but the change is noted on the original record (with a copy or record of the legal document attached or appendixed in the register) and a new certification of baptism will list the new information--new name, adoptive parents and so forth. the godparents would not be listed if, as in the case of adoption, the original information is privileged. yes there have been cases where a conditional baptism has been done before confirmation or marriage because the original records are not available in such a case. Don't worry, the Church has canon law to govern every imaginable situation. The answer for anyone who is worried or has any questions about sacramental records---see your priest.
Old Mar 20, '10, 11:59 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethPH View Post
I'm not sure, puzzleannie might know this info. I have my baptismal certifcate and it list's my confirmation date and parish but not my confirmation name. it is the only proof I have of my confirmation.

Perhaps if you are legally changing your name it has to be changed on your baptismal certificate as well I don't know. That's how I understand what annie is saying. Try calling your diocese to find out what you have to do if anything.
as I said, if there is a name change in civil law, at least in the US, you need to obtain a new birth certificate, and take that to your baptismal parish to have it amended. You will then receive a new baptismal certificate showing the legal name change. This applies in case of adoption, say where a step-father adopts the children of his new wife and they take his name (watch the old movie of Yours Mine and Ours with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball for an example of why this issue is important to the Church and how it is resolved in civil law).

Your confirmation notice is sent to the baptismal parish, and there is a spot to know the confirmation name, but it is not part of the baptismal record, but there is a place to note it in the confirmation register of the parish where you were confirmed, and most parishes will list the name on the confirmation certificate if asked. John Ryan [Aloysius] Smith where Aloysius is the Confirmation name, we will put it on your nametag so the bishop uses that name if asked as well.
Old Mar 21, '10, 1:44 am

I see what you're trying to say.

In the UK I think it works a bit differently, one can't change ones birth certificate in cases like this, or the baptismal certificate I wouldn't think (and I was baptised in a Church of England church so not the one I am being confirmed in).

I think in cases where I would need my birth certificate to prove my name, I also need to show the deed poll to show the change, in the same way you use the marriage certificate if you are married.
Old Mar 21, '10, 2:15 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

I had to change my name officially - I had my handbag stolen and lost a lot of documentation, what I did still have was in an unofficial name that I always go by, and to replace what was lost I had to make everything consistent and in the one name (the unofficial one). So what was my unofficial name is now my official name

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments