Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 24, '10, 3:49 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Father and teenage daughter sharing a room?

Is there any reason why a father shouldn't share a hotel room with his teenage daughter?
I am thinking more of privacy issues than scandal. Am I just being stupid?
What do other Dads think?
Old Mar 24, '10, 3:58 am

Default Re: Father and teenage daughter sharing a room?

Can I answer as a daughter?

As long as there's a bathroom in the room (which I'm assuming there is) where they can change and shower in private, I can't see a single problem or concern.

As a teen, i traveled some with my dad, and we always shared a room. It wasn't much different from home.
Old Mar 24, '10, 4:03 am
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

My husband shared rooms with our daughters when they were teens, and so did a lot of other dads that we knew.

Our daughters were (and still are) figure skaters, and went to many competitions over the years, all the way through their teenaged and college years. If I had to work and couldn't go to the competition, my husband would go, and the girls (or just one girl, depending on who was competing) would stay with him in the hotel room.

There were a lot of daddies who stayed with their daughters at these competitions. Usually parents travel together, but there are lots of situations like ours, where Mom either had to work, had younger siblings and babies at home to care for, or there was a divorce or separation.

Also, when our daughters were doing college visits, I often had to work, and so their daddy would drive them to the school (often far away) and they would share a hotel room.

Two years ago, my husband drove my daughter cross-country out to California (grad school) to move her in--I was not able to get the two weeks off work. She was 25 at the time. They made a real Western vacation out of it, stopping at the tourist sites (e.g., Grand Canyon). And yes, they shared hotel rooms.

Yes, there are privacy issues. They are solved by taking turns in the bathroom and shower, and keeping the door shut.

There was never any bed-sharing, not even between me and the girls when we travelled. Our daughters would sometimes share one bed while my husband and I shared the other bed.

Interestingly, in the skating novel that I just published a few weeks ago, the teenager is on a vacation with her parents, and they are all sharing a hotel room because they don't have the money for separate rooms. I never even thought of the possibility that someone would possibly see privacy problems with this. The editor didn't ask for any revisions of this, either. I realize that it's not daddy and daughter, so perhaps that's why it wasn't questioned by the editor.

At any rate, unless rooms are adjoining with connecting doors, or unless a suite is booked, I think that teenagers should not be in a hotel or motel room alone. If there are several other teens in the room, that's OK--safety issues. But I would not put a lone teenager, girl or boy, in a room by themselves. Too much of a target for creeps.
Old Mar 24, '10, 4:04 am

Yes this is a seperate bathroom. I always travelled with my Dad, but we slept in seperate rooms. My Mommy radar is not blinking here, to be honest.
Old Mar 24, '10, 4:06 am

My husband also thinks I am being stupid. I just have no experience to draw on.
Old Mar 24, '10, 4:43 am
Prayer Warrior

I'm not sure how it is all that different than when the whole family goes somewhere. We all sleep in one room and each change in the bathroom. I never had a thought that we should have separated into two rooms, male and female...
Old Mar 24, '10, 5:26 am

In my opinion, there is no reason why family members shouldn't be able to share a hotel room. All hotel rooms have separate bathrooms, so I don't see privacy ever being an issue.
Old Mar 24, '10, 5:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I shared a room with my dad when he took me for a college visit. Privacy was solved by keeping the bathroom door shut and using it to get changed.

My family is visiting me for Easter. My brother and sister are both teens but sharing a room. Separate beds and a separate bathroom mean it's fine.

There have been times all five of us had to share. I've had to share with both siblings. It's fine. No big deal at all.

Catholic, progressive, and young. The second and third do not bar me from participation.
Old Mar 24, '10, 6:52 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

I traveled many many times with my dad.
Old Mar 24, '10, 7:52 am

Husband and daughter shared a room for a recent college visit trip. Not a problem at all.
Old Mar 24, '10, 8:17 am

Even if there were only one bed, you can usually request a cot for a small additional fee.

Besides, depending on the age of the teenager, she might not be allowed a separate room anyway.

No problems.

www.amymbennettbooks.com

NOW AVAILABLE from amazon.com: "No Lifeguard on Duty", the second book in the Black Horse Campground series, from Oak Tree Press!
Old Mar 24, '10, 11:03 am

I think that so long as their are separate beds sharing a room shouldn't be a problem. Sharing beds would be icky IMO, so I wouldn't do that. Have you asked your daughters what they think?

July 2013 (Gabriel)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life