Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 28, '10, 9:11 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Church of Christ doesn't celebrate Easter/Christmas

I have a friend who belongs to the Church of Christ (the more traditional version, not the more liberal version, there seem to be several different "types" of COC).

They don't celebrate Easter or Christmas as religious holidays. I jokingly made a comment to him about not caring that Jesus died on the cross for him (it really was a joke, and he knew that). He replied that they remember that every Sunday at church, and I get that, we do too ... But I still really just don't get that they don't celebrate Easter (or Christmas).

What would an appropriate response be to why we celebrate Easter and Christmas as religious holidays, and not just remembering those sacrifices at mass?
Old Mar 28, '10, 10:31 am

Religion: RC
Default Re: Church of Christ doesn't celebrate Easter/Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarmitage View Post
I have a friend who belongs to the Church of Christ (the more traditional version, not the more liberal version, there seem to be several different "types" of COC).

They don't celebrate Easter or Christmas as religious holidays. I jokingly made a comment to him about not caring that Jesus died on the cross for him (it really was a joke, and he knew that). He replied that they remember that every Sunday at church, and I get that, we do too ... But I still really just don't get that they don't celebrate Easter (or Christmas).

What would an appropriate response be to why we celebrate Easter and Christmas as religious holidays, and not just remembering those sacrifices at mass?
Do the members of this church celebrate their own birthdays or those of family members and friends?

Is not the single most important event in the life of every Christian not worthy of its own special celebration?
Old Mar 28, '10, 11:05 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: yes I have a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarmitage View Post

Now I don't know anything about their religion but to me if they don't want to celebrate Easter or Christmas that is their choice. I see no where where is say you have to celebrate these 2 holidays. For me it is a special time to remember the reason Christ was born and the reason he died for us.
Old Mar 28, '10, 11:41 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

yes our neighboring church on the next block, of this denom, papered cars in our parking lot this morning with pamphlets including the Easter is Ishtar libel and similar anti-Catholic hate speech regarding our celebration of feasts of the Lord. sadly it is very windy this morning, and they carelessly stamped their contact info on the flyers so if local law enforcement picks up the strays which are now violating the litter laws, they will have to be accountable.
Old Mar 29, '10, 8:34 am

Yes, they celebrate birthdays.

I guess I was just stumped on how to respond when he said they celebrate Easter and Christmas every Sunday ... because we do, too. He also said that Jesus wasn't born on December 25 and Easter isn't on the right date either ... but I guess I felt like the events happened "sometime" so does it really matter when we celebrate them? And yes, like someone else said, it's the biggest single event (Christ's death and resurrection) for a Christian, so isn't it due some pretty major pomp and circumstance?
Old Mar 29, '10, 9:08 am

I have friends who belong to a CofC, not liberal at all, spend almost all day Sunday at worship and Bible study... like the OP said, no Christmas services, BUT they do put up a tree and give gifts.... and I think they do Easter egg hunts, too.... FWIW, my $0.02....

www.amymbennettbooks.com

NOW AVAILABLE from amazon.com: "No Lifeguard on Duty", the second book in the Black Horse Campground series, from Oak Tree Press!
Old Mar 29, '10, 9:09 am
Banned

Religion: Mass-attending agnostic with a Catholic spouse

My first wife was a member of the Church of Christ. As I recall, they referred to Easter as "Resurrection Sunday."
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions