Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 30, '10, 1:54 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Length of the Easter Vigil mass

Hello,

I'm planning on attending my church's Easter Vigil and mass on Sat. night, rather than Easter mass on Sunday morning. This is my first time doing this actually. Also, I am bringing someone along that usually doesn't go to mass very often.

I am just wondering, how long is the Easter Vigil? I know its longer than a normal mass of course, but I wanted to let to person I am going with know what to expect.

I called my church, but I had trouble getting ahold of someone, so I'm asking here. What are you experiences?

Thank you!
Old Mar 30, '10, 2:00 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998
Default Re: Length of the Easter Vigil mass

Depends on how many readings will be done, ours is around 2.5 hours!
Old Mar 30, '10, 2:02 pm

Plan on a minimum of 2 hours. Probably more like 2.5. Enjoy!
Old Mar 30, '10, 2:08 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

it depends on how many readings they do, all the readings, with psalms in between, can take an hour.
it depends on how many people attend, how long it takes for them to process in after lighting the paschal fire and candle
it depends on how many people are being baptized and confirmed, and how long it takes for them to dress after baptism

with no baptisms in the average church I would expect no less than 1.5 hours. with baptisms, 2.5 to 3 hours

I have been to Russian Orthodox Easter which begins and midnight and is all night long. Standing only, no pews, just some benches for old people. People come and go all night but the whole thing is awesome even when you don't know the language.
Old Mar 30, '10, 2:38 pm

Ours goes just under 3 hours.
Old Mar 30, '10, 3:12 pm

We're having 9 baptisms/confirmations at our Parish so we've been told to expect about 3 hours. Between the Chrism Mass last night, the Seder Supper tonight, Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Saturday vigil, we'll be putting in about about 10 hours of Church this week
Old Mar 30, '10, 3:38 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

We read all the readings, usually have 15/20 baptisms/confirmations, sing 2 verses of most hymns, douse people with holy water, and swing incense around. About 3 hours or a bit over. A wonderful time!
Old Mar 30, '10, 6:03 pm
Banned

Religion: [√] YES

In 2009, our Easter Vigil ceremonies began at 10:30pm. Outdoor procession with candles for all the faithful. No baptisms or confirmations. Full Liturgy recited word-for-word from the 1962 Missal. Mass began at midnight. Finished by about 01:30am.
Old Mar 30, '10, 8:22 pm
Book Club Member

The past 2 or 3 years, ours has been about an hour and 40 minutes. One year there were 2 baptisms, but most years only a handful of confirmations and/or professions.

We do about half of the readings.

It is a wonderful celebration. This will be the third year that my 2 boys have served as altar servers at this Mass. They complain about the length, but something draws them back year after year.
Old Apr 23, '11, 9:56 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

I didn't know where else to post this, so....

What is the dress code for Easter Vigil and Easter? Do people dress up?
Old Apr 23, '11, 10:26 am

I do dress up for Easter Mass no matter if I go to Vigil or the Sunday Mass on Easter Sunday.

When I went to Easter Vigil a few years ago because I was a sponsor/Godparent (my aunt and uncle also served as sponsors/Godparents) for my niece and nephew (at the time 7 and 9 years old) who were getting all 3 sacraments of initiation, it was a long Mass.

We had - the light/candle thing, 2 or 3 Old Testament readings, the Epistle, and the Gospel then the Homily.

After the Homily, was the Baptisms then Confirmations. About 10-12 people overall were received the sacraments (about 6 or 7 were young people from ages 7 to 13 then the rest were older teens/adults). Baptisms were first, and are done by immersion. My sister's kids each went one at a time then me and my aunt helped them change from their robes with shorts and tees with bathing suit under to dressy clothes. The rest of the baptism ceremony including the receiving the Baptismal candles etc happened after the candidates changed from their wet robes to normal clothes. Confirmation was next, and all the candidates were confirmed.

After that was done, then it was to the Prayers of the Faithful, the collection, and the Eucharist. The candidates went to receive their First Communions followed by their families, then the rest of the congregation.

We had beautiful music of a variety of instruments (piano, organ, a few guitars, drums, a few different types of woodwinds etc) and a great adult choir that provided wonderful & moving vocal music throughout the whole Mass from start to finish in various places.

A reception with finger food type snacks, candy, cake and fruit punch was served after for those received into the Church and their families/friends.

Mass started at 9pm, and it ended around 11:45pm or so.
Old Apr 23, '11, 10:42 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRose73 View Post
I do dress up for Easter Mass no matter if I go to Vigil or the Sunday Mass on Easter Sunday.

When I went to Easter Vigil a few years ago because I was a sponsor/Godparent (my aunt and uncle also served as sponsors/Godparents) for my niece and nephew (at the time 7 and 9 years old) who were getting all 3 sacraments of initiation, it was a long Mass.

We had - the light/candle thing, 2 or 3 Old Testament readings, the Epistle, and the Gospel then the Homily.

After the Homily, was the Baptisms then Confirmations. About 10-12 people overall were received the sacraments (about 6 or 7 were young people from ages 7 to 13 then the rest were older teens/adults). Baptisms were first, and are done by immersion. My sister's kids each went one at a time then me and my aunt helped them change from their robes with shorts and tees with bathing suit under to dressy clothes. The rest of the baptism ceremony including the receiving the Baptismal candles etc happened after the candidates changed from their wet robes to normal clothes. Confirmation was next, and all the candidates were confirmed.

After that was done, then it was to the Prayers of the Faithful, the collection, and the Eucharist. The candidates went to receive their First Communions followed by their families, then the rest of the congregation.

We had beautiful music of a variety of instruments (piano, organ, a few guitars, drums, a few different types of woodwinds etc) and a great adult choir that provided wonderful & moving vocal music throughout the whole Mass from start to finish in various places.

A reception with finger food type snacks, candy, cake and fruit punch was served after for those received into the Church and their families/friends.

Mass started at 9pm, and it ended around 11:45pm or so.
Great description of the Easter Vigil. I can't wait!
Old Apr 23, '11, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I didn't know where else to post this, so....

What is the dress code for Easter Vigil and Easter? Do people dress up?
Like most things, there will be a variety of dress and you could get away with pretty much anything clean and decent. That said, most people will be on the dressier side. We tell the catechumens etc. to wear nice church clothes, a dress/ skirt, pants/collared shirt.
Old Apr 23, '11, 1:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

We cut about half the readings and have a handful of baptisms, which usually clocks in at about two hours. I would plan on that as an absolute minimum. It's a little dressier than an average mass.
Old Apr 23, '11, 2:03 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Our parish's Easter Vigil goes just over three hours. We will have 25 people for baptism and/or receiving confirmation and first communion. It is a very quick three hours, for something is always happening!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments