Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 1, '10, 4:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Is having nice things a sin?

Suppose a poor family, who are hardworking and follow the commandments of God by heart win the lottery. Would it be a sin if they keep the money and spend it to buy nice things such as a really nice car that few people can afford? Or if they buy an amazing house?

Is it a sin to want nice things? Even if they are good people in the end?

I ask this because of what I found in the bible such as ..

Matthew19:24

And again I say to you: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Old Apr 1, '10, 4:24 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is having nice things a sin?

It is not a sin to have and enjoy nice things. It becomes a sin when you become materialistic and crave the possession of more and more things. The verse about the rich entering heaven is peaking of how a rich man find comfort in his treasures, and has little need to look for comfort in God.

Temperance, everything in moderation. Enjoy a pretty new blouse, but don't use your grocery money to do it.
Old Apr 1, '10, 4:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shondrea View Post
It is not a sin to have and enjoy nice things. It becomes a sin when you become materialistic and crave the possession of more and more things. The verse about the rich entering heaven is peaking of how a rich man find comfort in his treasures, and has little need to look for comfort in God.

Temperance, everything in moderation. Enjoy a pretty new blouse, but don't use your grocery money to do it.

So when someone just wants something nice, then it becomes a sin?
Old Apr 1, '10, 4:39 pm
Banned

Not quite. Wanting things in EXCESS becomes a sin. If you'd rather go shopping than spend time with your family, if you value THINGS more than people, if you can't BARE to be seen in the same dress twice and thus must always have a new one, if you go into debt trying to afford things, then it's a sin. But saving up for that fancy iPod, putting in some extra hours at work for that perfect prom dress, chipping in for a great family vacation- that's not sinful

You can donate your time and money and skills to help those less fortunate, and still allow yourself a new pair of jeans
Old Apr 1, '10, 4:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shondrea View Post
Not quite. Wanting things in EXCESS becomes a sin. If you'd rather go shopping than spend time with your family, if you value THINGS more than people, if you can't BARE to be seen in the same dress twice and thus must always have a new one, if you go into debt trying to afford things, then it's a sin. But saving up for that fancy iPod, putting in some extra hours at work for that perfect prom dress, chipping in for a great family vacation- that's not sinful

You can donate your time and money and skills to help those less fortunate, and still allow yourself a new pair of jeans
Thank you! This really helped!
Old Apr 1, '10, 4:48 pm
Banned

I'm glad! I'm sure there are better ways to explain it, but from similar questions I've seen asked, that was the answer I got.
Old Apr 1, '10, 5:09 pm

I heard a priest discuss that passage in a homily once. He said it actually referred to the eye of THE needle, which was the way into the city when the gates were closed. It was a tall and narrow opening that was easy to walk through, but difficult for a fully loaded camel. I think the key is being able to let go of your possessions, not necessarily not having any.
Old Apr 1, '10, 5:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEgirl View Post
I heard a priest discuss that passage in a homily once. He said it actually referred to the eye of THE needle, which was the way into the city when the gates were closed. It was a tall and narrow opening that was easy to walk through, but difficult for a fully loaded camel. I think the key is being able to let go of your possessions, not necessarily not having any.
Well, I do want a nice car. But in the end, if I was the richest man in the world and Chirst asked me to let go of everything I owned for Him, I would do it in a heartbeat!
Old Apr 1, '10, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art321 View Post
Well, I do want a nice car. But in the end, if I was the richest man in the world and Chirst asked me to let go of everything I owned for Him, I would do it in a heartbeat!
I think that is the whole point. Remember, you can't take it with you!!

Reminds me of a joke I heard once about a man who lived a virtuous life, loved God, and passed away in a state of grace. However, he had a chunk of gold about the size of a softball in his possession that he prized above most things. When he stood before God he asked if he could bring in one thing, because it meant so much to him. After much begging and pleading God allowed it, but demanded to see what it was that was causing him so much grief to leave behind.

He showed God his chunk of gold and God erupted into laughter. The man was infuriated that the creator of the universe was laughing at his most prized possesion. "Why are you laughing! What is up with that?!?!"

God just said (whiping a tear from his eye) "Son, come on in, I just don't understand why it was so important to you to bring asphalt!"

Revelation 21:18
Old Apr 1, '10, 5:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Yes, I understand what you are saying and I will always keep this in mind. As long as I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitacre_Girl View Post
I think that is the whole point. Remember, you can't take it with you!!

Reminds me of a joke I heard once about a man who lived a virtuous life, loved God, and passed away in a state of grace. However, he had a chunk of gold about the size of a softball in his possession that he prized above most things. When he stood before God he asked if he could bring in one thing, because it meant so much to him. After much begging and pleading God allowed it, but demanded to see what it was that was causing him so much grief to leave behind.

He showed God his chunk of gold and God erupted into laughter. The man was infuriated that the creator of the universe was laughing at his most prized possesion. "Why are you laughing! What is up with that?!?!"

God just said (whiping a tear from his eye) "Son, come on in, I just don't understand why it was so important to you to bring asphalt!"

Revelation 21:18
Old Apr 1, '10, 6:07 pm

No, it is not a sin to have nice things, but I would say it would be a sin if you had a lot of money and your only thought in life was getting more money. God wants us to use our what we have wisely. wisely
Old Apr 1, '10, 6:23 pm

Wanting or having nice things isn't a sin in itself, but wanting anything that isn't God Himself is an imperfection that will keep the soul from entering heaven upon death. Wannabe saints must strip themselves of all attachments to worldly things (dark night of the senses) and be purified even of spiritual attachments and misconceptions (dark night of the soul). For the rest of us faithful there's purgatory.
Old Apr 1, '10, 6:52 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art321 View Post
Suppose a poor family, who are hardworking and follow the commandments of God by heart win the lottery. Would it be a sin if they keep the money and spend it to buy nice things such as a really nice car that few people can afford? Or if they buy an amazing house?

Is it a sin to want nice things? Even if they are good people in the end?

I ask this because of what I found in the bible such as ..

Matthew19:24

And again I say to you: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Place yourself in the position of head of the poor family you describe above. If you truly follow the "commandments of God" by heart then , when they win the Lottery, what would you, as head of the family, do first?
What would you do second?
What would you consider to be the best use for the money?

Answers to these and logical followup questions would go a long way towards answering whether your heart (and treasure) lies here on Earth or in Heaven.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Apr 1, '10, 6:54 pm

Reminds me of Ebenezer Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol" ..

He had lots of money in be beginning of the story.. What he did with it was sinful.

After being visited by the three spirits and his conversion, he still had lots of wealth, but used for the good of mankind.

I like the words Scrooge said to his former partner Jacob Marley before the three spirits gave him a night he would never forget. .. "You were such a good business man..", he said to Marley.. To which Marley replayed "Business, Business !!" Mankind was my business.. Knowing he lacked in helping his fellow man, rather he keep his money just for the sake of gaining more wealth.

Will B.
Old Apr 1, '10, 7:02 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate (St-Benoît-du-Lac)

I hope not, I own some nice things.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology