Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 13, '10, 4:14 pm

Religion: ローマカトリッ
Default Mormons; when and why did Jesus come to America?

I've conducted much research into LDS theology and would really like to concentrate on this topic.

I'd like to turn my attention to the LDS theology/belief that Jesus Christ Himself came to America shortly after His death.

I intend to learn exactly when and why He went there, what was the importance of His appearance and message and precisely what He intended to come of it in the future or even indeed just at that time.

In advance; Thankyou for your much desired input.
Old Apr 13, '10, 4:43 pm
Banned

Religion: LDS
Default Re: Mormons; when and why did Jesus come to America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic_Korozya View Post
I've conducted much research into LDS theology and would really like to concentrate on this topic.

I'd like to turn my attention to the LDS theology/belief that Jesus Christ Himself came to America shortly after His death.

I intend to learn exactly when and why He went there, what was the importance of His appearance and message and precisely what He intended to come of it in the future or even indeed just at that time.

In advance; Thankyou for your much desired input.
That refers to an event which is recorded in the Book of Mormon, and took place 2,000 years ago shortly after Jesus' resurrection. The reason why He visited them was that the Book of Mormon people were of Israelite descent, and it was in fulfilment of the covenant that God had made with their fathers. The event is described in chapters 11 to 27 of the book of Third Nephi, which you can read online at the Church's website. You can start reading chapter 11 here, and flip to the next page when you reach to the bottom.
Old Apr 13, '10, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerinus View Post
That refers to an event which is recorded in the Book of Mormon, and took place 2,000 years ago shortly after Jesus' resurrection. The reason why He visited them was that the Book of Mormon people were of Israelite descent, and it was in fulfilment of the covenant that God had made with their fathers. The event is described in chapters 11 to 27 of the book of Third Nephi, which you can read online at the Church's website. You can start reading chapter 11 here, and flip to the next page when you reach to the bottom.
Chapter 11 - 27, okay. I've got the book. I'll be back.

Thankyou.
Old Apr 13, '10, 5:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Chapter 11, okay. I've got the book. I'll be back.

Thankyou.
That event is prophesied of in earlier parts of the Book of Mormon; and much talked about in the latter part. To get the full picture you need to read the whole book.
Old Apr 13, '10, 5:35 pm

Religion: Catholic

Note that there is absolutely nothing in the Bible (or in Catholic tradition) about an appearance of Jesus in the Americas. This reference is solely to the Book of Mormon, which speaks of a lost tribe of Israel that somehow made it to the Americas long ago. If you believe the Book of Mormon, you'll believe this. If you think the Book of Mormon is a fabrication of Joseph Smith, you'll dismiss this as a fiction. I dismiss it as a fiction.
Old Apr 14, '10, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan55 View Post
Note that there is absolutely nothing in the Bible (or in Catholic tradition) about an appearance of Jesus in the Americas. This reference is solely to the Book of Mormon, which speaks of a lost tribe of Israel that somehow made it to the Americas long ago. If you believe the Book of Mormon, you'll believe this. If you think the Book of Mormon is a fabrication of Joseph Smith, you'll dismiss this as a fiction. I dismiss it as a fiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjuliano View Post
The Mormon Church is Satanic. I can make a simple and logical case for that. Mormonism teaches that their god was once a man on another planet, did not create the universe, and is one of a multitude of gods in the universe. Therefore, the Mormon god is a false god and whoever worships him renounces the One God.

Moreover, Mormonism teaches that by strictly following the teachings of Joseph Smith, humans can also become gods. An aspiration to be equal to God is satanic by definition. Therefore, Mormonism is satanic in denying God and in teaching the lost souls who believe in it to commit the worst possible blasphemy.

Of course, all this filth is disguised in a veneer of Christian wholesomeness. That is why Mormons are perceived as good, clean-living people. But what to expect of Satan? He is clever that way.

To the individual who claims to be Catholic and "LDS": It is easy to verify what I have said. You can start on catholic.com itself, but there are countless other sites that will give you all the sordid details about Mormonism. Just do a search for "truth about mormonism". Once you have done that, if you still wish to have anything to do with Mormonism, you will be doing so in full knowledge that you have become an enemy of God.
The LDS church can easily back up there doctrine with scripture.
Old Apr 14, '10, 10:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Indeed we canóas many of them as are correctly stated. Not all that they claims to be Mormon doctrine is correctly stated.
Old Apr 14, '10, 12:54 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
zerinus - who were the Book of Mormon people that were of Israelite descent?
Old Apr 14, '10, 1:44 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOmNossor View Post
Anyway to the initial question. I like Zerinusís answer fine. I do however believe that there is much debate about what the Biblical verses mean that LDS believe point to the restoration (just is there is much debate about what Matthew 16:18 means)
I was going to suggest that as a LDS, I am fairly confident that one of the reasons Christ came to visit the Nephite people is so that the restoration could bring forth the Book of Mormon.
The Book of Mormon for me (and I suspect many others) continues to be huge. Said another way, the BOM would be a hugely difficult thing to explain outside of a LDS paradigm (at least for me). So, my answer is that Christ came to the Americas for many great reasons some of which we might not understand. But, I am reasonably confident that the BOM is a key part of Godís restoration and the BOM is built upon Christís visit to the Americas.
Great to see you around Tom. Long time no see!

I am sure you are right about the Book of Mormon. I am sure God had had that book in mind as part of His plan of Restoration from the beginning. However, the reason that the Lord gave for His visit to the Nephites (and to other tribes of Israel) was that it was in fulfillment of the covenant He made with their Fathers.

The Nephites were not the only group of Israelites that God had led out of their homeland to distant lands where they had developed their own indigenous communities. There were many others, and Jesus went to visit them all, because they were of the house of Israel, and in fulfillment of the covenant of their fathers, as recorded in the Book of Mormon: 3 Nephi 15:13-24; 16:1-5; 20:25-26.
Old Apr 14, '10, 1:57 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax16 View Post
zerinus - who were the Book of Mormon people that were of Israelite descent?
The Book of Mormon is a book of scripture that records the sacred history of a group of Israelites who were led by the hand of the Lord to emigrate to the American continent. The Book of Mormon covers a history of those people for approximately 1,000 years, from 600 BC to 400 AD. Just as the Bible is a sacred history of the Israelite nation in the Holy Land, the Book of Mormon is a sacred history of that group of Israelites in the American continent. They had prophets who wrote scripture, and it was compiled (or abridged) into the Book of Mormon.
Old Apr 14, '10, 2:11 pm

Quote:
The Book of Mormon is a book of scripture that records the sacred history of a group of Israelites who were led by the hand of the Lord to emigrate to the American continent. The Book of Mormon covers a history of those people for approximately 1,000 years, from 600 BC to 400 AD. Just as the Bible is a sacred history of the Israelite nation in the Holy Land, the Book of Mormon is a sacred history of that group of Israelites in the American continent. They had prophets who wrote scripture, and it was compiled (or abridged) into the Book of Mormon.
zerinus - Thank you. As always, more questions!

How many came with Nephi and his family to the Americas?
How did they travel?
Where in the Americas did they reside?
What type of dwellings did they live in?
Where are their descendants today?
What language did they speak?
Where did they get their supplies? Did they trade with others?
Where else can one learn about these people?
How long after arriving in the Americas did the first battle begin?
Were they farmers or hunters/gatherers?
Old Apr 14, '10, 2:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
zerinus - Thank you. As always, more questions!

How many came with Nephi and his family to the Americas?
How did they travel?
Where in the Americas did they reside?
What type of dwellings did they live in?
Where are their descendants today?
What language did they speak?
Where did they get their supplies? Did they trade with others?
Where else can one learn about these people?
How long after arriving in the Americas did the first battle begin?
Were they farmers or hunters/gatherers?
Read the Book of Mormon to find out!
Old Apr 14, '10, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Read the Book of Mormon to find out!
Okay - are you saying that all of these questions will be answered in the Book of Mormon?
The language they spoke and if they were hunters and gatherers? Really?

If so, I will read it. If not, you tell me.
Old Apr 14, '10, 3:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Okay - are you saying that all of these questions will be answered in the Book of Mormon?
The language they spoke and if they were hunters and gatherers? Really?

If so, I will read it. If not, you tell me.
Yes, all of those questions are answered in the Book of Mormon, and more!
Old Apr 14, '10, 3:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Do you mean the Book of Mormon? That is not scripture any more than the Koran. Wake up! Joseph Smith was a confidence man who wanted power, money and multiple wives, so he wrote a self-serving tract to support his claims, including a lot of plagiarism from the Book of Isiah. The idea of an angel coming to him and revealing a holy book he probably stole right from the Muslims. Come to think of it, that is where he got polygamy too.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions