Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 14, '10, 2:14 am

Religion: Confirmed Catholic - Oblate of Pluscarden Abbey
Question Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I love you, save souls

I make rosaries, and was told a great way to count beads when I started. I was told that for every decade, say this prayer twice (counting the beads this way): Jesus (1) Mary (2) Joseph (3) I love you (4) save souls (5). No more 9-or-11 bead decades

Apparently, every time this prayer is said, a soul is released from Purgatory, however, the person who told me this has no idea where the tradition came from and therefore I don't know if it is true. I mean no disrespect to the person who told me, but I'd like to know. It's a lovely wee prayer, and makes counting beads so much easier, but I'd love to know if the freeing of the holy souls is true.
Old Apr 14, '10, 4:58 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I love you, save souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossiebeth View Post
I make rosaries, and was told a great way to count beads when I started. I was told that for every decade, say this prayer twice (counting the beads this way): Jesus (1) Mary (2) Joseph (3) I love you (4) save souls (5). No more 9-or-11 bead decades

Apparently, every time this prayer is said, a soul is released from Purgatory, however, the person who told me this has no idea where the tradition came from and therefore I don't know if it is true. I mean no disrespect to the person who told me, but I'd like to know. It's a lovely wee prayer, and makes counting beads so much easier, but I'd love to know if the freeing of the holy souls is true.

Be careful. This is not a Church teaching. We can and should pray for the souls in Purgatory but none of us, including the Church, can say certain prayers release a specified number of souls from purgatory.
God alone decides when and which souls are released from purgatory. We do not know.
Old Apr 14, '10, 3:31 pm

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Be careful. This is not a Church teaching. We can and should pray for the souls in Purgatory but none of us, including the Church, can say certain prayers release a specified number of souls from purgatory.
God alone decides when and which souls are released from purgatory. We do not know.
Is this true also for Plenary Indulgences? If I offer a Plenary Indulgence for a soul in Purgatory, is there a guarantee that this soul will rise to Heaven (assuming it was in Purgatory to begin with, obviously)?
Old Apr 14, '10, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossiebeth View Post

"Jesus, Mary, I love you! Save souls!" is a little prayer that comes to us by way of private revelation from Our Lord to Sister Maria Consolata Betrone. He told her that one prayer would repair 1,000 blasphemies and at the end he would gather her prayers up and use them for sinners. I don't recall any mention of releasing souls from Purgatory, however it is suppose to benefit all souls, so I guess it can't hurt!
Old Apr 19, '10, 4:48 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson View Post
Is this true also for Plenary Indulgences? If I offer a Plenary Indulgence for a soul in Purgatory, is there a guarantee that this soul will rise to Heaven (assuming it was in Purgatory to begin with, obviously)?
No.
Old Apr 19, '10, 5:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic1954 View Post
"Jesus, Mary, I love you! Save souls!" is a little prayer that comes to us by way of private revelation from Our Lord to Sister Maria Consolata Betrone. He told her that one prayer would repair 1,000 blasphemies and at the end he would gather her prayers up and use them for sinners. I don't recall any mention of releasing souls from Purgatory, however it is suppose to benefit all souls, so I guess it can't hurt!
I remember reading this prayer first on a small double sided leaflet I found in my Church. It never mentioned the private revelation but it did say that the prayer would save a soul from hell. Thanks for the information.

On the other side of the leaflet was a prayer of St Gertrude the Great that releases 1000 souls from Purgatory each time it is said.
Here it is:
Eternal Father, I offer You
the Most Precious Blood
of Thy Divine Son Jesus
in union with the Masses said throughout the world today,
for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory
for sinners everywhere
for sinners in the Universal Church
Those in my own home and within my family.
Amen
http://www.olrl.org/pray/stgertrude.shtml

God bless
Old Apr 19, '10, 11:56 am

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
No.
Care to elaborate? According to Church teaching, a Plenary Indulgence provides complete reparation for the temporal punishment due a sinner's wicked deeds. I've also learned that Canon Law permits us to offer Plenary Indulgences for souls in Purgatory.
Old Feb 11, '12, 8:07 am
Banned

We can and should pray for the souls in Purgatory but none of us, including the Church, can say certain prayers release a specified number of souls from purgatory.

Hi all !!! Sorry to resurrect an old thread (( I found it while researching on google the JESUS, MARY, I LOVE YOU, SAVE SOULS prayer )).
The statement in bold above is true enough,
BUT in some cases we pretty much CAN know because in revelations to VERY RELIABLE holy Saints, Jesus Himself has pretty much said so.
It's rare, but he has on occasion.
For example, to SAINT GERTRUDE. For her prayer, he promised her that each time it is said, a great number of souls will be released from purgatory (( he did not say 1,000 specifically, THAT is a later kind of "rounding" of the number that Saint Gertrude herself never said specifically. She said a great number of souls, not 1,000 souls, but the "1,000" number is continuously being attributed to her as coming directly from the Lord.
Nevertheless, unless we believe that
a) SAINT Gertrude was utterly delusional OR
b) JESUS, making this promise to her, was telling a fib (which is impossible),
we can know for sure that when we say the prayer that Jesus gave to Saint Gertrude for the Souls in purgatory, a great number of them are released each time we say it.
Also, since this pious invocation is being said AS A MERCIFUL ACT FOR THE HOLY SOULS, we can gain, under the new general grants, a partial indulgence for ourselves each and every time we say it.
Under that same principle, a pious invocation united to or said as an ACT of mercy (for the sick, the dying, sinners in general who need saving, and the holy souls), we can also gain a partial indulgence each and every time we say, sincerely,
JESUS, MARY, I LOVE YOU, SAVE SOULS.
Jesus promised Sister Consolata Bertrone that each time we say this "act of love," we
save ONE soul (living) AND repair a thousand blasphemies (of the living or of the now dead who blasphemed during life). This prayer RELIEVES (though not necessarily releases immediately) each soul in purgatory for whom it is said (and you don't have to name specific souls, though you can if you want to; but the LORD knows who to "assign" the benefits of the prayer to.
So even at work or whatever we are doing, we should say this simple but powerful-with-God prayer, the JESUS, MARY, I LOVE YOU, SAVE SOULS!, hundreds of times each day ((cuz whoever gives even so much as a CUP of cold water to one of Jesus's disciples because he is a disciple of Jesus, will BY NO MEANS lose his or her reward, Jesus said in the Gospels. And hundreds of this prayer is HUNDREDS of cups of cold water for the living and dead disciples of Jesus. Plus, when said for the living and those dying, we are saving (thru Christ's merits) ONE soul each time we pray it. Scripture says that he (or she) who saves one soul from destruction COVERS A MULTITUDE OF SINS (including his or her own sins and wicked acts;--- wow, what a way to reduce our punishments temporal, both in THIS life AND in Purgatory!!!)
Love to the OP and to all who commented on this old thread.
MUCH love and blessings to ALL of you!!!!
And of course, there are other powerful prayers we can offer the Holy Souls in Purgatory:
1) THE MASS
2) Enroll them in a prayer society or Mass society/guild, such as www.seraphicmass.org
3) Pray the Rosary, including relief of the holy souls as one of your intentions
4) Pray the Chaplet of the Holy Wounds for them
5) The Chaplet of the Divine Mercy for them.
6) etc etc etc, including any specifically-indulgenced prayer for them,
such as the Memorare, sign of the cross, Anima Christi, sprinkling holy water in
their honor, etc.
7) we can offer many of the indulgences (partial or plenary) that we would receive for our prayers and deeds, for the holy souls who need them. (we don't have to offer them ALL for them, cuz we need them too!!!!!, but definitely should offer some of them for them, and they, the holy souls, it is said by reliable saints, will REPAY US A THOUSAND TIMES OVER for the relief we have gained for them thru our prayers united to the merits of the blood and passion of Jesus.
Again, Love to all of you,
Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality